PDA

View Full Version : How bad is this leak?

tpxc
04-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Today I noticed some leaks under the engine on my 2002 V70XC. I took a few photos which I've attached. I don't know if this is a problem or not. They seem to be along the seal between the transmission and the engine. Anyway I'll likely ask my local mechanic to have a look next week when the car is in getting the software updated. But it would be good to have other opinions.

I must say that flushing the ATF isn't much fun. At least I had a good look at the engine/front end and fixed up a few other problems (like the air filter being clogged with 50-60 dead bees!). Next time the car needs a flush I will take it to a good transmission shop and supply them with 16 litres of 3309 ATF.

cmon4day
04-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Could be leaking around the turbo??

Aviator
04-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Could be leaking around the turbo??

The turbo is around the back of the engine.........this leakage is coming from the front pan gasket on the transmission, then drooling down and getting blown back by ram air as the car moves.

Dave.

mbsl98
04-04-2008, 07:01 AM
One easy way to get a better idea of the source is to clean off what is there (spray something like simple Green on it and wash/brust if mostly clean). Then watch it closely to see the first signs of teh leak, before it gets a chance to be blown around and hide the source. Otherwise, start at the highest point where there is a sign of leaking to see what is in that area.

RedXC
04-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Yea is either trans pan gasket or the cooler o-ring has harden. I fixed those lots of times.
I must say is a B*** to replace the black pan gasket.

frusterated
01-12-2013, 03:53 PM
I have a similar leak (tried to show it in red). I was thinking it was either the transmission pan gasket or that hose (circled green), but since the hose is higher up, that sounds more likely. So that hose is the transmission cooler line? Are there any how-to documents available to replace the o-ring(s) there?

Also, is the broken bushing(?) circled in blue a big problem? I assume its a motor mount.

Sorry, not much of a wrench, still learning...

coflynn
01-12-2013, 09:12 PM
FWIW: I have a similarish leak (S60 so I'm a cheater on this forum):
It's been going on many many years, despite the 'newish' looking sheen to it. It's far too slow for me to bother with fixing, there's bigger fish to fry in things I want to fix :) Just keep an eye on fluid levels, or at least that has been my plan, let me know if I'm on the path to imminent destruction!

@ frusterated: that is the lower transmission torque mount. What you really care about is condition of the rubber bushing on the inside, not the broken outer piece. If it's older it's probably gone, they tend to wear along with the rest of the engine mounts. Due to easy accessibility the upper engine mount & lower transmission one get replaced first. You can see in my photo that is from replacing the torque mount since it looks new!