PDA

View Full Version : lifting the XC

uscgc70
04-03-2008, 12:35 AM
has anyone ever used a coil spring spacer on their XC or any other vehicle? i'm looking at something like this http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A2933A0A0.aspx
what do you think?

boon4376
09-10-2008, 03:12 PM
bump

Hey i want to know this too! Would a machine shop probably be able to fabricate a basic 1" - 1.5" spacer for me?

I wouldn't get polyurethane like the guy posted above, they'd probably decintegrate and crack and cause problems. Steel would be best

PaperToast
09-10-2008, 07:46 PM
definitely would be worth looking into.
ive been wondering about ways to get an inch or two more of clearance for the xc.
i had a thought of using springs from an xc90 to get some more lift but im not sure if those would be compatable or not.
im others can offer some insights into this

Japedo
09-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I had spacers above the coils on my old jeep cherokee, they were made of a very solid white plastic, not sure what it's called. Worked great and provided 3.5" lift.
Ive often thought 1 or 2 inches of lift would look nice on the XC with some BFG A/T's, but i dunno if it's a good idea or not. Deffinently would be an improvement in the snow!!!! [thumbup]

Japedo..

budrichard
09-11-2008, 12:33 AM
What for? Why install a device that the vehicle was not designed for?
The XC does just fine with its stock suspension parts.-Dick

Mink
09-11-2008, 01:44 AM
ive been wondering about ways to get an inch or two more of clearance for the xc.
Me too. But I've been wondering about fitting a taller tire - even to get half an inch more clearance. I realize that it would mess with the speedometer and odo readings, but I can live with that.

The big question for me is whether it would rub or connect with the inside of the wheel-arches if the suspension hits the stops over a bump... I'd really like to know if anyone here runs a taller tire on the stock 16" rims and, if so, what tire and dimensions, and have you had any problems?

moneypenny1
09-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi there.
My 2001 XC70 back was a bit low and i got these coil spring rubbers that you place in between the coil springs and it lifted the back really nicely without me doing any modifications. In total it cost me R100-00 any you can get them from any spare shop. Let me know if you would liek me to send you a picture.

Mink
09-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Welcome, buurman! I'd worry about sticking things between the coils of the springs - believe it or not there have been quite a few reports on this forum of springs breaking (I know, it's a Volvo!). If you restrict the compression of the coils at certain points you'll be concentrating the stress at certain points - it sounds like asking for trouble, especially if you're planning to ride on some rough roads. For the benefit of the non-South Africans, R100 is less than $12.

uscgc70
09-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Moneypenny, please post some pics. i would love to see how they work and look. do you have any before/after pics?

moneypenny1
09-15-2008, 10:46 AM
I agree with you that it may cause a problem but i am on the road almost all day and the car does not feel any different. I only used these to lift the back end by a couple of millimeters and not centimeters. The rubbers can be squeezed in by a strong hand and are not forced in by tools. I will however take note of what you have said and watch it carefully. I do take this vehicle off road alot as just cannot help myself(it is just so much fun) but will keep an eye on the springs.

Pictures to follow shortly.

kusa
09-16-2008, 06:54 PM
From what I understand Volvo produced differing coils for different xc models. Is their a taller coil that would fix the height difference that some of us are seeing in the rear end (low)? Im primarily interested in stiffer coils for towing but curious if a taller coil would remedy a tow load as well as positively effect the height of the rear?

Mink
09-17-2008, 03:30 AM
From what I understand Volvo produced differing coils for different xc models. Is their a taller coil that would fix the height difference that some of us are seeing in the rear end (low)? Im primarily interested in stiffer coils for towing but curious if a taller coil would remedy a tow load as well as positively effect the height of the rear?
I don't know about coils, but I do know that some XC70s (including mine) have self-levelling shocks at the back, which automatically compensate when you're towing. I didn't know my car had them when I bought it but one began leaking and they were both replaced under warranty.

kusa
09-22-2008, 08:11 AM
bump

Hey i want to know this too! Would a machine shop probably be able to fabricate a basic 1" - 1.5" spacer for me?

I wouldn't get polyurethane like the guy posted above, they'd probably decintegrate and crack and cause problems. Steel would be best

That would be a challenging part to fabricate. With a lathe and some tenacious hand work...probably be expensive. An easier route would for them to cast but from what liitle I know of cast metals Im not sure I would trust the strength.

viggen
11-05-2008, 12:37 PM
i wouldnt do a spring spacer, unless you know of a shock/ strut that offers more travel. i would think that something like this would work better. something that fits between the top of each strut and the body of the car. subarus have been lifted using a set up like that.

http://scorpionsubaru.com/product.htm