PDA

View Full Version : How to check Bevel Gear oil? pics? write ups?

santon
04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
did a search really couldnt find the answer,.

anyone?

MoeB
04-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Remove plug, stick finger in hole, remove finger. If it's oily, there's oil in there.

J/K. I once read a service bulletin that said to refill the bevel gear case until oil flowed out of the plug hole, then remove 150 ml of fluid. Someone later posted some info that conflicted with this, so either the service bulletin I read was outdated, my memory is bad, the later posting was wrong, or some combination of the above.

Hope this helps. :o

wgriswold
04-02-2008, 12:49 PM
There has been advice to fill it and them remove 100 ml and then another person said 200 ml. I compromised at 100 ml. I wonder if removing some is to prevent leaks. Anyway it is all splashing around in there and a little low shouldn't hurt. At least I hope so!

MoeB
04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm guessing that it does by reducing oil foaming, preventing oil from spashing on the vent tube, and leaving a little extra air space for expansion. Just a guess, though.

santon
04-02-2008, 01:38 PM
where is this hole boys? show me.
how do I drain it and fill it? guide me gurus. going to get dirty tonight, rather do it all at once.

MoeB
04-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Here...

santon
04-03-2008, 06:21 AM
thanks guys, got this after I changed the oil. will get under there again. btw i got the oil fitler off easily with a husky oil filter wrench, grabbed on the housing good and spun it off no problem. totally forgot to change that rubber seal, noticed later. oh well! next time!

going to get under there again, how do I drain this oil and refill it? also what goes in tehre and how much of it. why type of oil?

MoeB
04-03-2008, 06:31 AM
I sucked it out with a MityVac. The Volvo fluid is part #1161648, which is synthetic API GL5 75W-90 with a bunch of special antifoam additives in it and I guess some sort of magic Swedish potion tossed in there. How else to explain the price? Anyway, I just used Castrol in mine. Took about 800 ml or so as I recall.

santon
04-03-2008, 06:35 AM
do i suck it out from the same hole? I am assuming so.
I guess I'll just buy the best 1L of whatever I can buy. there is some sh8t caked on around that piece. nothing like fresh leaking oil or anything, just crud.

keep in mind my car has 270,000km. I bought it with 255,000 from some local Toronto TV personality guy who's work was paying for all teh maintenance! I couldnt even believe the km, but i got the car for next to nothing and so far so good. great shape, he had a 150km commute each way every day!

mbsl98
04-03-2008, 06:49 AM
That's not even 170k miles, and sounds like it is all open road, probably top gear, so wear should be much less than an older car with the same miles. Top level service a real plus for longevity, too. Sounds like you have a good chance for a winner.

santon
04-03-2008, 07:19 AM
The car esthetically doesnt look any different than like a 60,000 mile car. interior is perfect, he was the only person in it 99% of the time.

so far so good, very happy with the car. paid $8400 cdn for it back in Nov 07.
and he included a second set of rims with brand new Gislaved winter meats on it. not suer what he had done to it, but some control arms look new (i can still see the sticker with the bar code on it). I probably should call the place he was servicing it and find out.

2 months ago my neighbor reversed into the rear driver side door. that insurance claim was to the tune of $6100 by the time it was all said and done! I couldnt believe it, wow!

MoeB
04-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Here's a write up. Older model, but basically the same procedure.

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/2001-v70xc-bevel_gear_oil_replacement.pdf

santon
04-03-2008, 09:47 AM
mine underneath is all dirty with crud. is that a concern? will do this tonight.
wasnt any fresh oil there or anything. maybe I will change the oil and clean it up and see what happens by next oil change. anywhere else I should be looking around while I am down there?

MoeB
04-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Seals may be weeping, or it could be your turbo oil return line is dripping. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's leaking a lot. Mine had weeping seals, which I had replaced under (extended) warranty. Looked like this before it was fixed.

santon
04-03-2008, 09:57 AM
mine is dirtier than that, however its all old nothign fresh. I am going to call the place where teh guy had it serviced.

santon
04-03-2008, 10:14 AM
I just contacted the dealership where the previous owner bougth the car from. He had it serviced there since day one, they are going to fax me every document pertaining to service history. Cant wait to see if there has been any tranny issues etc. Maybe I am about to change the oil for nothing who knows. He was pretty particular about the service as he is on "on air" personality and cannot be late so everything preventive was always done.

santon
04-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Ok, I just changed this oil bought a transfer pump. I was only able to pump out 500ml i tried every which way in terms of positioning the hose to get more but that was it. keep in mind mine was very cruded so not sure if there was more weeping than normal. So I bought a bottle of Castrol Syntec Gear oil 75w90, pumped that entire bottle in minues like 100-200ml what may have spilled on the floor as the hose popped out on me. the pump needed to be higher than the discharge tube, so i set that pump up on the top of the motor ran the discharge tube down to that hole, pumped couple of times and it slipped out on me at one point. anyhow, most of the bottle went in, but it still wasnt able to touche the fluid with my pinky when i jammed it in there.

i got a little tube to see when it would touch fluid and within like 3/4 inch or 1inch it was deep in fluid. so I am assuming it was ok.

the way i looked at it is, there is definitely more than before. and if didnt get all the old sh8t out, then there is way more than before. but I am confident I got it. perhaps its leaking more than usual and I should just top it up every oil change or every other oil change. would you feel the car being smoother by changing this oil? too me it seemed smoother but its probably all in my head.