PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Coolant

ncst8wuf
04-02-2008, 07:48 AM
I have coolant leaking out somewhere near the front left tire. I looked at the expansion tank and it looks fine, as does the line coming from the tank. The leak only seems to occur when I have been driving some distance. Are there any specific areas to check (I haven't driven it much since I first noticed the leak).

thanks

PDXXC
04-02-2008, 09:24 AM
I have coolant leaking out somewhere near the front left tire. I looked at the expansion tank and it looks fine, as does the line coming from the tank. The leak only seems to occur when I have been driving some distance. Are there any specific areas to check (I haven't driven it much since I first noticed the leak).

thanks

Do a search for "coolant reservoir"
There have been issues with hairline cracks in some over time. Hoses can develop pinhole leaks that are hard to detect unless the system in under max pressure. I'd start by inpecting the system for damage again.

ncst8wuf
04-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that particular area of the car had some history of failure in regards to the coolant. I guess I'll need to get under the car after I have turned it off and try to determine where the fluid is coming from.

BG60
04-04-2008, 06:05 AM
My 01 XC70 leaked coolant for about 1 year before it finally reared it's ugly head when coolant was streaming out non-stop. It turned out to be a crack on the underside the reservoir. It was frustrating trying to find it. I had to keep a jug of coolant in the back. I checked the level regularly and the level would be good for a while and I'd stop checking. Then I'd get the low coolant alarm. I would suggest a pressure test on the reservoir. That's how my local shop confirmed the crack. Good luck.

mbsl98
04-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Did you mean to say the leak is near the right front tire? That's the side the expansion tank is on, and where the small leaks usually occur. I had a leak that showed up there that I had a job to locate. Finally found that the small hose from the expansion tank to the thermostat housing (the line that bleeds the system) wasn't tight where it attached to teh thermostat housing. This is a hard spot to see, and the leak happened when pressure in system was high, ie: mostly while driving. From top, I really couldn't see a leak, but when I got really down there, I could see the trace of green residue from the coolant. Just replaced teh little hose clamp to fix it. One other time, I replaced the thermostat and didn't get the housing and seal on quite right and it leaked into the same spot with very little sign of leak from top.

RedXC
04-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Ive seen many coolant leakage from the lower of the expan. tank. I usually just take a quick peak at the A/C line-T/Belt cover area to see any trails of wetness of coolant. That makes a good sign that it is indeed leaking, if not I will just lift up the tank to inspect. If there are any signs of coolant level being lower than MAX, I will pressure test the system and find the source. Mostly the radiator neck metal sleeve sometimes will slide out on its own and cause a light seepage.

elmwoodblues
01-02-2014, 04:16 PM
I had a small leak right front also, and when it was time to change coolant I put in a new expansion tank. Leak still there one month later, very slight but enough to bring on 'coolant low' warning about once every ten days. Tightened all clamps today, and res cap is on tight as well. Any other place on that side to check? Turbo was replaced and engine seals done when timing belt was changed about 50K miles/4 years ago.

RichS
01-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Any other place on that side to check? .

Just replaced a heater core on my 2002. Drops of coolant were showing up on the garage floor. My mechanic said that in this instance coolant may exit from same spot as A/C condensation & drip onto the ground.

Xheart
01-07-2014, 06:03 AM
It is often said to clean the drain at the heater core.
I will keep an eye on the fluid level.
Fluid travels, tighten hose clamp at each connection, one full turn at a time.

DYZ
01-07-2014, 01:41 PM
I had a small leak right front also, and when it was time to change coolant I put in a new expansion tank. Leak still there one month later, very slight but enough to bring on 'coolant low' warning about once every ten days. Tightened all clamps today, and res cap is on tight as well. Any other place on that side to check? Turbo was replaced and engine seals done when timing belt was changed about 50K miles/4 years ago.

FYI - The radiator on these cars is prone to cracking on the right side when it gets old.

DYZ

tcds
01-07-2014, 02:50 PM
I have an '01 that leaks also, I have had to keep a jug of coolant in the back and have had to fill it whent he light goes on. Couldn't find a leak around the reservoir, finally took the timing belt cover off (three bolts, two on top and one kind of hard to get to) that way I could look at the water pump sure enough I need to replace my water pump. It weeps coolant. I am going to replace the timing belt at the same time. IPD sells a water pump timing belt kit)

2001 XC70