rear stabilizer links
angle gear
front brake pads

the prices for these parts are as follows:

left front inner tie rod=$115
rear stabilizer links=$110
angle gear=$270 (installed)
front brake pads=$94

I was originally going to do just the brakes myself, but am now leaning towards everything but the angle gear.

Just wondering if these stealership prices seem high, and what other people are paying. Should I go to NAPA or Autozone for these parts at significant savings? Anything specific to Volvo I need to do here, or is this all pretty straightforward stuff?

I am going to let the stealership handle the angle gear fix, because that is pretty specific stuff.

Please let me know ASAP, as I need to call the stealership to let them know.

mbsl98
04-01-2008, 11:04 AM
FCPGroton.com or eeuroparts.com can sell you the parts, either OEM or aftermarket, at half or less of these prices, and you save the labor as well. No mention of an alignment, but you need to get that ASAP after the tie rod is replaced. These are all easy DIY's. The angle gear, installed, for $270 just sounds too cheap tome. I have no personal experience with this piece, but I think it is teh same as teh bevel gear that folks seem to pay multi-four figures for at dealers. If so, you need to be clear on what they are doing and what the final bill will be, all inclusive, in writing. Hopefully I am wrong and it really is a cheap fix.

Sasquatch
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
The angle gear thing is just a seal or O ring. I thought it sounded high for a seal or O ring, but then figured they have to do other stuff including refilling fluid.

Yeah, the alignment thing has me concerned also. The stealership will do these other things and the alignment also. Maybe I'll just do the brakes.

What is a good brand of brake pads for Volvos? I know "Performance Friction", available at Autozone comes VERY highly recommended for Jeeps. Are they also good for Volvos?

Thanks again!

OK, at FCP GROTON:

2001-2003 Volvo V70 AWD Turbo Inner Tie Rod $24.00
2001-2003 Volvo V70 AWD Turbo Sway Bar Link-Rear $18.00
2001-2003 Volvo V70 AWD Turbo Brake Pad Set-Genuine Volvo $65.00

for a grand total of $107 versus $319 and a savings of $212 for the same parts over the Volvo dealer. No wonder they are called the stealership!

Who here knows how reputable this FCP Groton source is?

uscgc70
04-01-2008, 03:32 PM
I've used FCP Groton many times. there customer service is on par with ipd. The inner tie rod usually requires a special tool and also requires an alignment immediately after being done, especially if you haven't done one before. if you want to save some money, find a shop that will let you supply the part. there hard to find, but well worth it. the sway bar links are a straight remove and replace, very easy. on the FCP website they list the OEM brake pads for $65 and the Mintex for $36. i honestly don't think you would notice a difference in the pads. and if you do go after the bevel gear seal, you have to get the specific fluid for it at the dealer. it's the same fluid that goes in the rear diff. good luck.

JRL
04-01-2008, 07:41 PM
An angle gear is nearly $2500, methinks you have something mixwed up

JRL
04-01-2008, 07:43 PM
The angle gear thing is just a seal or O ring. I thought it sounded high for a seal or O ring, but then figured they have to do other stuff including refilling transmission or is it differential fluid.

Yeah, the alignment thing has me concerned also. The stealership will do these other things and the alignment also. Maybe I'll just do the brakes.

What is a good brand of brake pads for Volvos? I know "Performance Friction", available at Autozone comes VERY highly recommended for Jeeps. Are they also good for Volvos?

Thanks again!

OK, at FCP GROTON:

2001-2003 Volvo V70 AWD Turbo Inner Tie Rod $24.00
2001-2003 Volvo V70 AWD Turbo Sway Bar Link-Rear $18.00
2001-2003 Volvo V70 AWD Turbo Brake Pad Set-Genuine Volvo $65.00

for a grand total of $107 versus $319 and a savings of $212 for the same parts over the Volvo dealer. No wonder they are called the stealership!

Who here knows how reputable this FCP Groton source is?
These are aftermarket parts prices and you should NOT install them

uscgc70
04-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Why should he not have aftermarket parts installed? on certain parts i agree with, but brake pads, tie rod ends, sway bar links will be fine.

Sasquatch
04-02-2008, 06:35 AM
I've used FCP Groton many times. there customer service is on par with ipd. The inner tie rod usually requires a special tool and also requires an alignment immediately after being done, especially if you haven't done one before. if you want to save some money, find a shop that will let you supply the part. there hard to find, but well worth it. the sway bar links are a straight remove and replace, very easy. on the FCP website they list the OEM brake pads for $65 and the Mintex for $36. i honestly don't think you would notice a difference in the pads. and if you do go after the bevel gear seal, you have to get the specific fluid for it at the dealer. it's the same fluid that goes in the rear diff. good luck.

Where are these "Mintex" brake pads? Are they any good? I imagine my alignment is already off, as there is some irregular tire wear already showing itself. I am trying to figure out if it makes sense to have the dealer do the tie rod, as their price includes an alignment. Otherwise, I'd have to get one after the fact.

I already had the angle gear seal done at the dealer.

I might try the sway bar links myself. Will at least take a look. If not, I'll have my mechanic do that as well.

While I have done disk brakes before, and they are easy as pie, I just don't have the time right now, so will get my mechanic to do those as well.

An angle gear is nearly $2500, methinks you have something mixwed up

Just the seal.

These are aftermarket parts prices and you should NOT install them

You must be a dealer. This is a 2001 car, and is out of warranty. I'd use junkyard parts if I could, but these are wear parts, so new is the way to go. Besides, I thought these were indeed actual Volvo parts, not that it matters as long as they are spec'd for a Volvo.

mbsl98
04-02-2008, 06:49 AM
"Besides, I thought these were indeed actual Volvo parts, not that it matters as long as they are spec'd for a Volvo.[/QUOTE]

Many of us have found that there is a real benefit to buying OEM Volvo parts for certain applications, because the after-market parts are not made to the same quality standard and don't last very long. Many of the after-market parts do fine, however, so I let the knowledge on these boards guide me as to when an OEM piece is actually the cheap answer. Within the after-market group, there are also differences in quality by manufacturer. Scantech has about the worst reputation for a number of front end related parts, including tie-rod ends ( I had one of their inner ends last less than 20k). Some of the "brands" are actually the same manufacturers as the Volvo branded parts, for example: Febi Bilstein, some TRW pieces. Note that you can buy even the Volvo boxed OEM from these on-line sources for much less than at the dealer

MoeB
04-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Replacement bevel gear seals cost $320 installed at my dealer.

Sasquatch
04-02-2008, 12:55 PM
People keep saying BEVEL gear seals. I said ANGLE gear seals. This might be something different or it might be the same, but it is on the VOLVO computerized printout.

MoeB
04-02-2008, 12:59 PM
You say it's angle, I say it's bevel...let's call the whole thing off!

My receipt says bevel but I think it's the same part.

Sasquatch
04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
This is from right off the Volvo dealer's work order:

J# 3+45VOZ STEERING/SUSPENSION
RIGHT FRONT ANGLE GEAR IS LEAKING
REPLACED RIGHT FRONT ANGLE GEAR SEAL

part numbers:
30735126-2 03725126- SSEALING R
9143885-3 DRIVE SHAFT SEA

uscgc70
04-03-2008, 12:32 AM
now i'm confused. the bevel/angle gear is part of the drivetrain, not steering/suspension. i wonder what they actually did?

MoeB
04-03-2008, 04:52 AM
The part numbers are bevel gear seals.

Sasquatch
04-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Mintex brake pads: Good or No Good?

Also, does anyone have the "coupon code" for FCP?

Thanks.

howardc64
04-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Mintex brake pads: Good or No Good?

Also, does anyone have the "coupon code" for FCP?

Thanks.

- Volvo OEM has best bite + tons of brake dust. Wheel gets black unless you wash it all the time.
- Mintex has poor bite + still a lot of dust on the front wheel of my 01 XC
- Akebono ceremic (same price as Volvo OEM) has nearly the bite of Volvo OEM and nearly no dust. On the front of my 01 T5

Akebono ceremic is what you want.

Sasquatch
04-26-2008, 06:59 AM
For the $3 difference, I'd go with the Volvo.

Anybody have the "coupon code"?

Aviator
04-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Monroe makes ceramics as well, and they have excellent stopping power. I have them on my Echo and Tercel, and when it's time I will be putting them on my XC. Also....zero dust !!

Dave.

howardc64
04-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Mine ceramic was from NAPA actually. They told me it was manufactured by Akebono. Maybe Monroe too? Just took a look at the Monroe site tho, unfortunately no ceramics for these Volvos :(

And I forgot to mention.. really minimal rotor wear! My Mintex is eating my XC rotor a lot faster than the ceramic on the T5.

Sasquatch
04-26-2008, 06:52 PM
How about Performance Friction? I know these are real good stoppers on the Jeeps. Thanks.