PDA

View Full Version : My Quandry

NatSquared
03-29-2008, 01:34 PM
I am shopping for a used XC70 (or V70 XC). Not being a complete idiot (although possibly a partial idiot for shopping for a Volvo :D) I have been reading all the information available on these models and their "issues".

Clearly the 01 models have tranny issues :eek:

Here is my quandry. I have a 01 model with immaculate service records that have had the necessary software updates to deal with the N issue. It has 68k and is in great condition.

I found a 03 model in the same physical condition but with 98k. 03 models didn't have a transmission issue (right??).

I am planning on getting an extended warranty for any car that I would buy. Obviously without personal inspection you all cant tell me "what to do", but I would like to hear your opinions on the subject.

Thanks!

Natasha

BTW.....you all rock![thumbup]

JRL
03-29-2008, 03:13 PM
They ALL CAN have tranny issues if not serviced.
If your car is good, tranny fluid has been changed and the stop neutral function software removed, enjoy it.
You don't buy a newer model with MORE miles, that makes no sense

NatSquared
03-29-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't own either vehicle, I am looking at both as purchases. Currently I own a VW with a host of electrical problems that makes Volvo's seem easy to deal with !

JRL
03-29-2008, 04:05 PM
I am shopping for a used XC70 (or V70 XC).

Here is my quandry. I have a 01 model with immaculate service records that have had the necessary software updates to deal with the N issue. It has 68k and is in great condition.

This is what you said. Any normal individual would take this as,
"I own an 01 (Volvo)"
What's an "N" issue?

brick
03-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Natsquared - welcome to the forum!

I saw your post before there was any reply, but was on my way out so had to hold off. I did correctly assume that you were debating between two purchase prospects by your question. :)

I never buy a first model year vehicle - '01 for V70xc. As for '03, 98k in ~5 years seems like a lot of driving. I drew a line at 15k miles max/year as the limit when I was looking.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick '03, but only after taking it to an independent mechanic. Most dealers will charge you labor for pre-purchase inspection, but it's definitely worth it. I have an independent mechanic who will give it to me straight. Weeded out 2 bad ones for me so far.

If I learned anything about buying a used car, it's patience. I once made a mistake of being hasty because I fell for the car (850-t wagon). The car was solid, but I ended up paying too much. If you (can) wait, there will be others that fit your bill better - in terms of mileage, price, service records, etc.

Anyhow, welcome again. I came and lurked here for months before purchase.

I love Seattle, by the way. ;)

slowflyer
03-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Why are you only considering, or how have you narrowed to, those 2 vehicles?

In a metro area like Seattle you should have a number of choices.

We have had a number of problems with our 2001 but not the tranny.

doublecheese
03-30-2008, 04:02 AM
They ALL CAN have tranny issues if not serviced.
If your car is good, tranny fluid has been changed and the stop neutral function software removed, enjoy it.
You don't buy a newer model with MORE miles, that makes no sense

I agree with what JRL says.....
I have a '01 and I have the tranny fluid changed and stop neutral function software removed,

..........so far no problems with the XC ....

MoeB
03-30-2008, 07:45 AM
OK, at first I thought the same thing as JRL ("have" usually means "posess"). Now that I see you're just looking at both cars at this point, I would recommend that you pass on both and keep looking if possible. If you can't do that, be sure to get a good warranty with whichever of these you choose.

Even if the '01 has had the SN (or "N") function removed, the transmission went at least a couple of years with the SN function still active. Check to see if the ATF has ever been changed. If not, and unless the car has seen mostly highway miles with little stop and go driving, the transmission most likely has excessive wear on it. You can find out how much wear by having the ATF analyzed (costs about $20) by a lab, or at least get someone familiar with the smell of burnt ATF to "sniff the dipstick" :).

FWIW, our '01 still had the SN active when we got it at 46k miles back in '06. I had it removed and the ATF changed at the Volvo dealer, but the trans was ultimately was replaced at about 68k miles. The damage had already been done in the first 46k, apparently.

NatSquared
03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all your help! Sadly in Seattle, most people seem to keep their Volvos and there isn't a ton of them available (at least not with reasonable mileage). I don't have a problem waiting around, not willing to jump into anything.

I have requested service records on the 01' from the dealership as it had been regularly maintained at a local Volvo dealership. I am curious as to when the updates happened and any history of issues.

I have been lurking around to hopefully get information for those far more experienced in this then I (which is probably everyone). Is there anything in those service records (other then the obvious) that I should look for?

As far as options for extended warranties, I know there are a variety of ones, but which areas of coverage are most beneficial? I don't have a problem paying for general service, but clearly I would like a warranty that would save me from shelling out thousands for something. One the same note, I would rather not have to pay 5k for a bumper to bumper if something less is more sufficient.

As a mother with a daughter that plays hockey, I have looked at other makes of vehicles, but with a large hockey bag, hockey stick and any additional luggage, I am most interested in the cargo space offered without having to go for a large SUV (which is really more space and size then the two of us actually need). Playing hockey with travel in the winter (often to the wilds of Canada) the AWD is important -- not to mention safety.

Anyhow, thanks for all your thoughts!

MoeB
03-31-2008, 06:42 AM
When you look at service records check to see if recalls for the cooling fan module and the electronic throttle control module have been done. I'd also look at drivetrain and suspension components to see if any of those were fixed/replaced. At over 60k, the car will eventually need things like shocks, suspension bushings, brakes, etc. if they haven't been replaced already.

Main thing with aftermarket warranties is to buy from a reputable company and read the fine print. Unfortunately, when you buy from dealers, you usually have to go with what they use. We got a 3/36 "premium care" warranty for $1800 (bought used from a GM dealer). The warranty company was CNS, which is also an insurance company. Good thing we did, since the trans replacement alone was almost twice that. It also covered a number of other fairly costly things, all of which were repaired at less than the miles on either of the cars you're currently looking at.

The only problem we had is that the warranty company uses a different book for estimating repair times than what Volvo dealers use. In fact, even indie shops that charge a third less than the dealers balked at the labor estimates that the warranty company was willing to pay. I ended up negotiating a lower rate with the dealer, but I still had some out of pocket expenses over and above my deductible because of these low-ball book rates. The lesson: ask what books they use for estimating repair costs, then ask your shop if they can use the same books.