PDA

View Full Version : Fluids

tpxc
03-29-2008, 05:42 AM
I need to flush the ATF on my 2002 V70XC. After looking under the bonnet it certainly seems a simple enough task, although I've yet to crawl under the engine to locate the drain but I'm guessing it can't be too hard to find.

I've read many, many posts regarding the ATF. It certainly seems that the majority of DIYers have used Mobil 3309. Locally the Volvo ATF is $35/litre, Mobil 3309 is $19/litre and Toyota T-IV is $8/litre. I know the lack of difference has been hashed again and again but it still does worry me a little bit. I'm leaning towards using Mobil 3309 in preference to Toyota T-IV as most posters in these forums have used Mobil and so there is a body of evidence that it works fine in these transmissions. But the T-IV is a lot cheaper. Anyway I need to get the o-rings and crush washer so I have a couple of days to make the decision.

Also my power steering fluid container is weeping. It looks like the upper return hose clamp is leaking - I will replace it. I need to top up the fluid. Is it just ATF? Like the Mobil 3309? Or should I use something else?

Thanks a lot,

Tim.

JRL
03-29-2008, 07:03 AM
IT IS ALL THE SAME STUFF,
ALL MADE BY MOBIL

I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE TO SAY THIS BEFORE IT SINKS IN TO SOME OF YOUR THICK SKULLS! Listen up!

(...and yes, I am yelling, I'm tired of saying this 20, 50, 100 times)[cussing]

(Use Volvo PS fluid)

PierreC
03-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Flushed my 2002 XC tranny in November '07 at 109.000 kms with T-IV -- now at almost 119.000 kms and the shifts are as smooth as a baby's bum except when the tranny is cold when there is a slight but noticeable hesitation between 1-2 and 2-3.

I also installed a Magnefine inline filter TODAY - hope that it will help to keep the tranny sane and the shifts smooth. Next replacement of ATF will be at 180.000 kms to coincide with the major - cambelt replacement - service at which time I will replace the Magnefine filter as well.