PDA

View Full Version : 2008 xc70 milage..... highway

dragonfly
03-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Highway..all highway..

26.7 mpg (us gallons) speed limit 70mph

cruise control used after reaching speed...

AC ON windows closed

one person in car ~ South Florida flatlands....(no ant hills)

240 miles on the engine... (total)

I can live with this... it would drop if i was "driving it" instead of riding in it...

tgwillard
03-25-2008, 05:38 AM
For that speed and low mileage your mpg is not bad. Only long trip I have made in my fully loaded XC70 yielded about 29. Might have been more if I only had one or two in the car and not five with luggage.

PierreC
03-26-2008, 08:50 AM
For that speed and low mileage your mpg is not bad. Only long trip I have made in my fully loaded XC70 yielded about 29. Might have been more if I only had one or two in the car and not five with luggage.

tgwillard - I guess you have the 5 cylinder turbo ... dragonfly was probably referring to the new straight non-turbo six?

MGC
03-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I would be very happy with that type of mileage. The new O8 XC70's are a very heavy car. I have an 03 xc70 with 147000 miles on it and on the freeway I am averaging 25 to 26 with it. You are getting much better than what he mileage stickers on the windows are saying the car gets.

How do you like the car so far? I have been looking at the 08 and have found them to be attractive.

Morrie

dragonfly
03-27-2008, 07:02 AM
"The new O8 XC70's are a very heavy car. I have an 03 xc70 with 147000 miles on it and on the freeway I am averaging 25 to 26 with it. You are getting much better than what he mileage stickers on the windows are saying the car gets."

Yes...I am getting better then sticker mileage.. but that said the sticker mileage really is not representative of Southern Florida road conditions.. WE ARE FLAT!! and my driving to obtain the mileage is very conservative... I no longer have a need to be the first into an intersection after the light changes.

THE CAR FEELS SAFE.. I bought it because it does weigh over 4000 lbs. I bought it because the interior is well designed and functional..

The only item I am a bit unhappy with is the lack of a power outlet on the dash itself allowing for plug in of a gps system... the cable now has to extend over to the center cupholder area.... I am a bit surprised at this...

Other then that and a bit of a squirrely feeling in a highway speed avoidance maneuver It is still a good decision for me.. The overseas delivery program made it even a better decision for me.....

I personally do not miss the lack of a turbo.. but I do not live in the mountains or even hills...

I would like a diesel.. but with the fuel prices what they are... I am less then enthusiastic about that.. I would like the higher torque and better mileage...

So... good decision to buy.. Yes I still am at a 9.5 plus on a ten scale.. I would not buy the Audi awd nor the jaguar wagon... I looked a Mercedes gl450 and the diesel version... But that said... I can buy a whole lot of fuel for a very long time for the almost 20k plus difference in price...

Funny thing is I have a jetta diesel wagon and after using the xc70 for a few days... I am going to sell the Jetta... IT now feels tiny to me... I sold a range rover to buy the xc70....

YMMV

Oweny
03-28-2008, 03:26 AM
I have to agree with Dragonfly here - I've read lots of negative comments on these boards from people who have seen one in the street, or taken a testdrive.

I've owned one (D5 SE Lux) for a month now and I have to say it is the best equipped, most versatile and enjoyable driving car I have ever owned..I moved up from an 2005 AudiA4 Avant which just didn't have the space for a family of four, and to be honest I was completely bored with anyway.

the XC70 doesn't top the class in any catagory but it does everything well enough to make me happy with my choice to buy one.

However if I had to put up with the fuel consumption I'm hearing from other owners in the US - well then I too might have a few quibbles....think I'd be writing to Volvo US to set about planning to bring in the D5.

Bad Points:
- Auto wipers need to be reset each time you start the car.
- Dual Zone Climate control can not be adjusted with one knob (as in the A4).
- Back of the car get really dirty really easily, even with factory mudflaps. Reminds me of my wife's mini which had the same problem during Winter weather.

Good Ponts:
- D5 is sweet. Low/Mid range torque is great, esp with Auto box.
- Seats were hard for first couple of week, but now fantastic.
- Storage, me, wife, two kids, two buggies, no problems....
- Ipod integration is seemless and works a treat.
- Fuel consumption 29mpg round town, 40 on a motorway run.
- Love in interior Black Leather with XCrossed dash, their was no way I was going for the tan interior with two kids.
- Love the exterior Inscription Silver with 18 inch Minos, sunroof.
- Host of gadgets which are generally well thought out, elec boot door, fold away steel cargo divider etc..
- It's not an SUV, and I'm glad of that fact.

dragonfly
04-13-2008, 08:28 AM
18.56 mpg us gallons us miles..

no complaint from me.... 640 miles on the engine...

crowhurst
04-13-2008, 06:25 PM
18.9 suburban here, and very happy. Best way I have found to control the consumption... slow down... not fun... but effective.

bwik
04-29-2008, 09:26 AM
You can't talk mileage with only 240 miles on the car... for LOTS of reasons.

#1, 240 miles itself is too short of a sample distance on ANY car of any age

#2, the car is not running normally yet --- engine OR transmission

I would wait until after 10,000 miles then would love to year about 2008 mileage! Cheers

dragonfly
05-11-2008, 12:56 PM
car is still a 9.5 for my purchase decision..

last fill-up I just completed 120 mile highway trip...Florida Flat... AC on 95 degrees on the temperature.. windows up Driver only in the car....

kept to posted limit... 55, 65 and 70... light traffic... very little braking...

I had filled up and reset before the trip....

mileage indicator.. 28.6 MPG..

Only regret... I should have ordered the key that allows you to start the vehicle with it in your pocket and open the rear hatch automatically walking up to it..... Won't make that mistake again... (expensive butt clearly would now be worth it to me....)

ALSO BLISS is Great and Parking assist (front and Back) is as well... IT IS A LARGE CAR...

YMMV

I'm very pleased with the mileage for such a heavy apparently safe car..

dlmielke
05-12-2008, 08:11 AM
On highway, fully loaded with passengers, cargo and a roof carrier, going fast (ave 70mph), I get about 23mpg. Local driving is pretty bad. If it's a short trip with very frequent stop signs, I'm happy with 16mpg. I have to drive one child to school (no bus) - it's 5.5 miles one way with reasonable stretches of continuous driving. There I can typically average 18-19mpg, keeping in mind that I tend to be a somewhat impatient driver (quick starts/stops).

I GREATLY miss the turbo in my 1998 XC70, but all in all the 2008 is a really solid performer with lots of well thought out features and creature comforts. It seems so "fancy" that I still hesitate to give it the rougher treatment that my '98 endured (and still does - teen driver took over at 140,000 miles).

On the subject of conveniences...I would definitely recommend spending the extra cash for the PCC keyless remote system. It allows me to never even take the remote out of my pocket or bag. Very handy when approaching the car with full hands, plus it lets you "make sure" you locked up after you've walked away and have that nagging doubt. I'm not crazy about the parking assist, as it beeps FAR from any obstacle, but I guess it's a good safety feature. With kids, the power cargo door is wonderful. Every time it clicks shut I think of my '98 with the interior door panel hanging loose (even after multiple repairs) from being slammed shut constantly.

Overall I'm very happy with the car. The only real improvement I see as needed, besides better mileage of course ;) ,would be turbo, and that runs counter to better mileage. We have plenty of room for a family of 5, safe and reliable transportation, and we're not in a stupid boat of an SUV. I came close to buying a Land Rover or Honda Pilot this time around, but all things considered, I'm glad I bought the XC70 again.

chrishpalmer
05-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Just popped my '08 XC70 into the shop for the first time since I bought it in December. Not quite 6,000 miles but took it in to have the computer checked because of lousy mileage. My '02 got 21.5 to 22 mpg in-town consistently. Sold it to my daughter and son-in-law and drove it from OK to Seattle and got (drum roll, please......) 26+ MPG average over 2,200 + miles.

Loved my first XC70 - 2002 model - and wound up getting the first '08 in my home state. Love the smooth ride, love the fit and finish, love the under-floor storage in the back. Gas mileage? Not so much. After 5,800 miles I'm only NOW beginning to get more than 16 to 17 mpg average in town and 20 to 21 highway. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? Does going from 5 to 6 cylinders make that much difference? Combine that with the price of gas and a fill-up goes from $25 to $65. Anybody know anything about whether or not Volvo's found some kind of cure? Can Volvo drivers afford it? Sure. Is it environmentally responsible? Hardly. Much as I love my XC70, I'm going to have to consider an alternative. Maybe I can swap even up with a newish late '07 model?

brissim
05-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Chris?,

There's no rocket science involved here with the '08 fuel consumption. Yes maybe there's some contribution from going from a 5 to 6 cylinder engine, but the main contributor is the 500lbs increase in weight over the '07 model. Yes I agree its a great car to drive and love the improved interior and ride quality (although my current '06 isn't that bad) and I did come close to getting one myself, but issues to do with fuel economy (even with the diesel) and performance have made me think again.

Having said all that, as has been pointed out by several others on this forum, aside from these issues there's no alternative that comes close for the price.

Tony

vtie
05-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Chris?,

There's no rocket science involved here with the '08 fuel consumption. Yes maybe there's some contribution from going from a 5 to 6 cylinder engine, but the main contributor is the 500lbs increase in weight over the '07 model. Yes I agree its a great car to drive and love the improved interior and ride quality (although my current '06 isn't that bad) and I did come close to getting one myself, but issues to do with fuel economy (even with the diesel) and performance have made me think again.

Interestingly, the fuel consumption of the D5 diesel version has decreased slightly. That engine has remained exactly the same. So, the increase in weight doesn't seem to be the main issue.

brissim
05-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Yes the official Volvo fuel consumption for the D5 between the '08 and '07 does show a slight decrease. But also the same numbers comparing the 2.5T '07 with the 3.2 '08 petrol show only a slight increase - combined 11.1 to 11.4 l/100km (21.2 to 20.6 miles/USgal). Judging from some of the posts on this forum its a whole lot worse than this for overall fuel usage (yes I know hiway milage is a little better). Which leaves me with a significant doubt with the Volvo quoted numbers (which is why I've asked for feedback on '08 D5 economy in another thread).

Tony

shogun1223
07-24-2008, 02:02 PM
We've had the '08 XC70 3.2 for about one month now, and we really happy with our decision. However, I do wish the mileage could be a little better - 22 MPG in mixed driving in suburbs north of New York City. Lots of hills and valleys AND congestion...

wind in my hair
07-29-2008, 03:28 PM
i know this is a littel off topic but im in the market tobuy a
convertible i love this car ...im looking for a lease and the only place i could get my hands on one was on the
net and im trying to get a little feedback on if its safe to buy that way so any feedback would
be helpful heres the link to the lease company if you want to check it out ..it sounds good to me
but im a bit iffy
Lease company (http://www.theleaseoutlet.com/Auto/Volvo_C70_lease.aspxiffy)