PDA

View Full Version : 2001 XC Air filter box lid

jmoser
03-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks to the idiotic design of the air cleaner housing the center tab of the lid snapped off during my last air filter change. I don't even want to ask dealer cost - looking for a good source for used/junkyard parts.

Any help is appreciated.

MoeB
03-24-2008, 10:11 AM
You mean the little tab that fits in a slot on the "hinge" side? If so I don't think you really need it. The other two should hold it fine.

JRL
03-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks to the idiotic design of the air cleaner housing the center tab of the lid snapped off during my last air filter change. I don't even want to ask dealer cost - looking for a good source for used/junkyard parts.

Any help is appreciated.
If one or two are broken but it sits closed (tight) using the others that are left, don't worry about it
You can alway duct tape the portion that's not totally locked if you really want to or try;
www.erievovo.com (http://www.erievovo.com) for a used one.
(Call them, they never answer emails)

jmoser
03-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately it does NOT fit right without the middle tap. The gasket of the filter is clearly visible as the flimsy plastic POS box bends way out of shape without all 3 tabs. For now I have a wood spacer behind the box to keep it unbowed and am using 2 extra long wire ties end to end to strap the whole shebang tight.

I have never seen such a crappy design for a regularly scheduled maintenance item - why in God's name the rigid intake tube is attached to the supposedly removable lid is beyond comprehension.

I only want to fix it so I can trade in the POS before it cost me another $2K-3K, this with only 75K miles. [In case you can't tell I will NOT be getting another Volvo.]