PDA

View Full Version : Loud "CLANG"/now clanging when steering wheel is turned...

blueflogger
03-17-2008, 09:39 PM
While my XC was parked/off in my garage I heard a loud "CLANG" or "BANG" -- like something "popped" maybe is a better way to describe it. The sound was VERY LOUD. Sounded "metallic" and sounded like it came from under the car, towards the front of the vehicle. An hr later my wife jumps in the car and takes off -- w/in a minute she calls and tells me that when she turns the wheel right or left she hears a "clanging". When she gets home I jump in the car, turn it on and turn the wheel right and left while in "park" and can hear the sound as well. It is almost a ticking but quite loud -- loud enough to be heard inside as well as outside the vehicle. When turning the wheel I can slightly "feel" the noise as well. Sort of a "bump" when turning. Any ideas? XC is an '01 with 100k. Thank you!

Omega5
03-18-2008, 05:45 AM
I'm not certain I understand but here's how I'd go about diagnosing this.

IF the "clicking" is repetitive while the engine is running but the car is NOT moving, then you are looking at some fault in the power steering pump. Check for leaks, check fluid, listen carefuly to it as your wife turns the steering wheel and see if you can isolate the noise.

IF the "clicking" is not repetitive then find out at what point it does the noise, try to isloate it, rack, suspensions etc.

IF it's repetitive but only when the car is moving, then check the front brakes.

IF not repetitive when driving either then that's a little harder to isolate but again rack or suspension.

blueflogger
03-18-2008, 09:57 AM
The sound occurs when the steering wheel is being turned right or left in park and drive. Also when I'm going over bumps...almost sounds like its grinding now...on smooth surface going straight it's fine. Figure it's suspension related. Thanks for your help. Taking it to mechanic and will post solution.

blueflogger
03-18-2008, 01:29 PM
passenger side coil spring....thanks again.