PDA

View Full Version : IPD Sachs/OEM shocks

funglenn
03-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Anyone have any problems installing these for an 01 XC70?

I had them put on at an Indie shop then took it to the dealer a week later for alignment and service and they said it was not possible to align due to me having the wrong shocks. Specifically the shocks did not allow the tire camber to be corrected.

I double checked with IPD and they seem to be the right ones.

Could the shop have put them in wrong?

Forkster
03-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Interesting - seems that the dealer may have their nose out of joint because you didn't use them for the purchase. What did IPD say? Did you try another shop that can do wheel alignments?

slowflyer
03-13-2008, 09:36 AM
I had Sachs installed by a local, well-regarded, indie Volvo shop. I have since had an alignment at the dealer. They did not say anything like that. I was told that Sachs makes the shock for Volvo.

I did have one problem that angered me. The indie shop reused the upper mounting bolt (or whatever it was) It later cracked so I had to have it replaced. The dealer said they replace that part when they do shocks. End result- higher cost than having the dealer do it.

funglenn
03-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Interesting - seems that the dealer may have their nose out of joint because you didn't use them for the purchase. What did IPD say? Did you try another shop that can do wheel alignments?

I went to a tire alignment place I have used before and they said the same thing, they could not get the camber to adjust since it is a non adjustable strut. Also the IPD camber kit (which I should not need for stock) is only 2 degrees of adjustment, the alighment place gave me the print out, the best they could do was 2.13 degrees off.

I hope IPD can take the return. I am shocked since their stuff has always worked out really well. They were on the car for a total of 4 days!

DYZ
03-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Care to point out which strut you got from IPD - so that other people won't have to go through this? Thanks!

DYZ

funglenn
03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Care to point out which strut you got from IPD - so that other people won't have to go through this? Thanks!

DYZ

I will tomorrow, first I want to make sure that it is the strut after all. I really think there is something else up that makes it not fit. IPD is usually good about parts fitting and I called and checked with them as well.

Tomorrow the dealer tries their OEM strut and the alignment so the truth will be come out. The OEM strut also is non adjustable.

JRL
03-13-2008, 04:31 PM
It's not the strut unless it is actually BENT.
You have something else going on

funglenn
03-13-2008, 11:15 PM
It's not the strut unless it is actually BENT.
You have something else going on

I know but the dealer won't believe me

funglenn
03-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Turns out the IPD Sachs OEM struts they sent me were almost 2 inches shorter than my stock ones. I have pictures to prove it [cussing] I am mad and hoping IPD will take these things back. They have never been wrong before but the number on the strut matches what I ordered and matches what they say will fit my car.
But it is much shorter and the idiot indie mechanic did not notice the major difference. After a trip to the dealer the car now drives like new!!! It took all new shocks, struts and an alignment but the sloppy steering is gone, it is much tighter than before.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4f138bdcad.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/6f5e327b59.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Monday I am calling for a refund, and I am hoping for shipping refunded as well (both ways) since this crap is not my fault. They swore they would work but the proof is irrefutable. :mad:

PS. Sorry for the huge picture, don't know how to fix it easily.

Willy
03-15-2008, 12:12 PM
It looks as though they could be for a model with less suspension travel,
such as the regular V70 or AWD!
Willy

JRL
03-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Don't worry, they will give you your money back.
Interesting F-UP!

funglenn
03-15-2008, 12:21 PM
It looks as though they could be for a model with less suspension travel,
such as the regular V70 or AWD!
Willy

But IPD states there is only one strut for all S60s and V70 and XC70s, do a search at their site. (obviously 4C and air leveling are different).

I might have some oddball 2001 solution. They were the first year after all [thumbup]. This could be some solution used for just a little while on certain chassis.

IPD gets too much volume to have it wrong completely.

JRL
03-15-2008, 01:19 PM
But IPD states there is only one strut for all S60s and V70 and XC70s, do a search at their site. (obviously 4C and air leveling are different).

I might have some oddball 2001 solution. They were the first year after all [thumbup]. This could be some solution used for just a little while on certain chassis.

This just happened to someone else.
I'm really not sure except for the fact that IPD is wrong if they're selling ONE strut, the XC strut IS taller.
It happens, they've been wrong before

Willy
03-16-2008, 02:06 AM

Although I have no "hard evidence", it is clear that different the V70 models do not have the same suspension travel. True, this can be accomplished by using the same struts, eg by placing them in a different position (sideways). But since there is no room to do this, the logical conclusion is that sifferent struts are used.
You are right, IPD has one model for all V70models, I have checked their website. I am curious how they explain that!
Willy

funglenn
03-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Help!

Now there is a squeak coming from the passenger front? It could be a major coincidence that the wheel bearings are starting to go, but considering it started the minute I got it back from the dealer I am suspecting it is connected with that.

Any thoughts what could make it squeak?

JRL
03-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Yes, a bad install.
Back to IPD. These are good guys. I would call 1 800 444 6473 and ask for either Scott, Lucky or Ken.
Be nice and ask them why they're selling the same strut for all V70 applications when obviously there are different struts for XC's.
I'm 110% sure they will give you your money back but remember, this is the BEST aftermarket company for Volvo parts with great customer service and you be nice, they will be even nicer[thumbup].
Please post the explanation.
I could easily call them but I'm curious what they will say to an "normal" retail customer

funglenn
03-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Yes, a bad install.
Back to IPD. These are good guys. I would call 1 800 444 6473 and ask for either Scott, Lucky or Ken.
Be nice and ask them why they're selling the same strut for all V70 applications when obviously there are different struts for XC's.
I'm 110% sure they will give you your money back but remember, this is the BEST aftermarket company for Volvo parts with great customer service and you be nice, they will be even nicer[thumbup].
I could easily call them but I'm curious what they will say to an "normal" retail customer

JRL

Could not agree more on IPD's reputation and service record. I do plan to call tomorrow and I have measurements and pictures with my OEM SACHS label from my original strut to help them research the issue at their end to help their issue.

Could you clarify, do you think the squeaking sound is from a bad install? These are the new OEM struts put on at the dealer. I also had them balance and align the car to ensure the best ride/handling possible.

JRL
03-16-2008, 10:47 AM
It stands to reason if they weren't there yesterday but they are after a strut install, something's amiss there.
It would be a very strange coincidence that a noise will start in the area it was worked on the next day, just like that! [sly]

arejohn
03-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I have looked for firmer shocks for the late model xc70 and could not find any. When I contacted IPD they confirmed that no one makes any for the rear but I could use any s60 v70 shocks on the front. I wondered about the extra height of the xc.

bwik
03-16-2008, 06:41 PM
I am very interested in shocks for my mom's 2001 with 135k. The car drives okay, but clearly it is needing new shocks, and justifiably so.

So, is the dealer the only reliable provider of this service? It must cost $1000 for this.... which is more than it's worth, probably..

funglenn
03-18-2008, 11:51 AM
I am very interested in shocks for my mom's 2001 with 135k. The car drives okay, but clearly it is needing new shocks, and justifiably so.

So, is the dealer the only reliable provider of this service? It must cost $1000 for this.... which is more than it's worth, probably..

It really depends, IPD says they do fit XC70s, but there are odd balls like my car. The best bet is to order them from IPD and compare them to the ones on your car after you remove them.

The price I paid in europe is about $300 dollars per strut..literally double the IPD price, but in the US I am sure the price is much cheaper.

Everything in europe is much more expensive.

funglenn
03-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Yes, a bad install.

They were amazing, refunded my money plus shipping costs both ways. They were very apologetic and still say that these struts fit most XC70s.

It really is hit and miss, but I am still a happy IPD customer.

Willy
03-19-2008, 12:32 AM
I have looked for firmer shocks for the late model xc70 and could not find any. When I contacted IPD they confirmed that no one makes any for the rear but I could use any s60 v70 shocks on the front. I wondered about the extra height of the xc.

I don't know if you are interested, but the auto-leveling schocks are firmer.
Willy