PDA

View Full Version : tailgate won't open

Big
03-04-2008, 11:16 AM
The tailgate--not the upper liftgate which works fine--has suddenly stopped opening. The hand lever lever comes up but there doesn't seem to be much resistance so I'm guessing a cable has pulled out somewhere. I tried removing the 2 screws that appear to hold the top plastic cover in place but the cover will not budge. I don't see anything in the How-To section here. Anyone have a diagram of the tailgate or can describe how to work on it?

Art
03-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Big,

This is pretty much what I have on file for the lower tailgate mechanism. Hope that it helps.

Big
03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
This is pretty much what I have on file for the lower tailgate mechanism. Hope that it helps.
Thanks! From the diagrams it looks like the cable could have come unhooked from the lock or come off its track. The problem is that both diagrams show the tailgate open which it isn't, so the sliding cover is over the panel which I can barely reach. How do I open the tailgate when the handle doesn't work?

Then there are the unrevealing instructions: "Remove the panel" and "Remove the cover from the opening handle." What's the secret for removing the panels without damaging them? I'm a doofus when it comes to figuring out this stuff!

Art
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
I dug up more info on the removal procedure for the lower tailgate panels. It appears that there are a total of 6 screws screws holding the upper panel in place.

Big
03-04-2008, 06:02 PM
I dug up more info on the removal procedure for the lower tailgate panels. It appears that there are a total of 6 screws screws holding the upper panel in place.
You're good! [thumbup] Now, I just have to figure out how to get to the panel screws with the tailgate in the closed position. The instructions say, "Lift up the springloaded panel," (this is a second panel that slides over the main panel) but I can't do that when its closed. The springloaded panel appears to be on a bracket held by a couple of bolts so I'll see what happens if I remove those--probably tomorrow. You'd think there would be a way to release the latches from inside the car when the lever isn't working but I can't see a way. Thanks for your help.

Big
03-05-2008, 01:48 PM
The springloaded panel appears to be on a bracket held by a couple of bolts so I'll see what happens if I remove those--probably tomorrow.I removed 4 bolts from the bracket (one at each end and two others holding the battery) and it does not move. With the springloaded panel in the way I can't continue, unless there is a secret way to unlatch the tailgate without using the handle. Seems a little too much like a chinese puzzle! [cussing]

tspinelli
11-27-2008, 09:22 PM
The PDFs that were sent are terrific for the lower tailgate issue. I have an issue with the locking mechanism on the upper hatch portion of the tailgate. I am having a hard time getting the door trim off so I can get at the lock.

I removed a screw behind the back light, but there appears to be another screw behind the back door latch that I can't figure out how to get to.

Has anyone done this before?

Art
11-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Here you go. :)

Art
11-29-2008, 09:53 AM
I am having a hard time getting the door trim off so I can get at the lock.

I removed a screw behind the back light, but there appears to be another screw behind the back door latch that I can't figure out how to get to.

Okay, I think I found what you're looking for. In the image below there appears to be two plastic clips/tabs holding the frame in place. You will need to use a plastic pry/weatherstrip tool to apply pressure to the clips in order to get the frame to release. There may also be additional clips on the bottom of the frame but I can't tell from the diagram alone. Good luck.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/6b80a485.jpg

tspinelli
11-30-2008, 08:52 PM
I will try this coming weekend. I did see those 2 clips and was trying to push them in. Apparently I wasn't pushing them in far enough :-)

Thanks again!

brsso
01-21-2009, 01:12 PM
I too cannot open my tailgate. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to get access. How did it work out from the PDF's?

vkalmonte
03-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Lower tailgate on my 2005 xc90, same deal, less resistance when pulling handle and the right side latch would not release. Read the previous info for ideas on how to fix. Indeed, you cannot remove the inner panel, while the hatch is in the closed position. Not a problem. Take a good look from the inside of vehicle in the location of these latches. With a good light and kinked neck, you can actually see the latch mech move on the good side. I grabbed a long, slotted screwdriver and had no problem unlatching these catches.

With hatch now open, remove panel (there are about 8 plastic clips in addition to the 3 visable screws, pry carefully as close a possible to these clips and they should release w/o breaking.)

Indeed cable came off the one side. The latch was sticking abit, noticed the lever did not spring back quickly as it should... likely caused the cable to come undone. Removed latch, cleaned and lubed it well, reattached cable and did same to other one two before putting back together.

Just wanted to add this to post, in case next person coming along can benefit. Cheers.

Big
03-20-2009, 08:43 AM
...Just wanted to add this to post, in case next person coming along can benefit. Cheers.
Thanks, that will come in handy next time this happens--and I'm sure it will as the upper and lower tailgates are prone to problems with cables and dirt buildup.

sjpmcintyre
03-02-2010, 04:54 PM
The PDFs that were sent are terrific for the lower tailgate issue. I have an issue with the locking mechanism on the upper hatch portion of the tailgate. I am having a hard time getting the door trim off so I can get at the lock.

I have everything exposed, but now what? The cable looks a bit frayed and looks as if when you pull the handle it pushes the cable into the mechanism. I would have assumed that pulling the handle would pull the cable out and not press it in. Do I assume that the issue is the lock mechanism and just replace it?

Art
03-02-2010, 09:26 PM
For those who are having problems opening their upper tailgates, this tech bulletin might offer up some relief.

Body - Unable to Open Upper Tailgate

NO: 83-33
DATE: 11-18-2003
MODEL: XC90
M. YEAR: MY 2003-2004
SUBJECT: Upper tailgate, unable to open
REFERENCE: VADIS
DESCRIPTION:
Under certain conditions, the cable to release the upper tailgate may come loose from its mounting clip. If the cable comes loose, it may be difficult to open upper tailgate from the outside.
SERVICE:
If customer complaint is consistent with the above description, perform the following:

1. Remove the tailgate panel as described in VADIS

2. Using a pen, mark both sides of the cable.
Use these marks to find the center of the clip.
Make a mark at the center.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/113653934.gif

Disconnect the cable and set it aside, see illustration.
Approximately 8 mm from the bottom edge of clip, drill a 6 mm diameter hole between the marks.
Note! As the material is only 2 mm thick, be very careful when drilling. It is only 15 mm to the outer surface.

Installing the cable tie

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/113653935.gif

Install the cable tie (P/N 983706) into the 6 mm hole as illustrated.

Reinstall the cable into the clip.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/113653936.jpg

Secure the cable using the cable tie so that it prevents the cable from sliding up and out of the clip.
Note! Do not over tighten so that the wire is forced down below its normal position!

4. Reinstall the tailgate panel as described in VADIS

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/113653937.gif

Warranty Claim Information

smccammond
04-15-2010, 02:38 PM
I know this is an older post but, I too am having problems with my upper tailgate. It will open from inside but not outside. I have taken everything apart and found out that the cable is broken. Do I have to replace the entire locking mechanism or can I just replace the cable? If it is just the cable, I'll need some pointers on how to get it removed and re-installed.

arekes
05-01-2010, 07:24 AM
I just fixed mine, the trouble was the plastic bit that holds the wire has broken and the wire moves freely and dont push the lock. Though its short time fix, as used suprglue to do it. Think it will be problem to get that part. Thanks for help that i found on this forum, if any questions feel free to ask "professional" lol.

sirfroggz
10-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm having the same problem. Do you have to replace the whole assymbly or can you just replace the cable. Volvo dealer said it would be $320 for the part and install.

Rather find a cheaper alternative.

adamca1
01-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I have read through the posts regarding the hatch not opening, but I am still have trouble. I have pushed the white plastic piece towards the driver side, but nothing happens. Is there something additional I need to do?