PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to get intrigued

coastal
02-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Anyone else interested in the XC60?

As much as I love the new XC70 and have always appreciated the XC90, I'm really starting to become interested in the latest addition to the XC family... Anyone else? :)

BillAileo
02-28-2008, 05:00 AM
I am interested, but if the only engine offered is the T6, I think there will be marketing problems for those of us also interested in fuel efficiency...

Bill

travelkids
02-28-2008, 07:27 PM
I am interested, but if the only engine offered is the T6, I think there will be marketing problems for those of us also interested in fuel efficiency...

Bill

+1 How about a diesel?!?!?! I want MPG, less power! [mad2]

vtie
02-29-2008, 01:22 AM
From the information I got from a Dutch web site, the T6 is confirmed, as well as the D5 diesel (at least for European markets)

But I don't see yet what the XC60 offers that the XC70 doesn't. As far as I can see, the XC70 offers more space, is more versatile, has better "offroad" capabilities (Volvo itself says that the XC60 is less offroad oriented!), and has more status overall (if you care about that).
The XC60 seems to be more of a fashion/lifestyle thing. Everybody is fighting for the premium cute-ute market since BMW started early with the X3.

In a sense, I like the fact that the XC70 is the only Volvo XC that has its roots in the true Volvo tradition of no-nonsense, versatile wagons. Its roots date from the pre-SUV-hype era, and it probably will survive it.

brissim
03-02-2008, 01:44 PM
I think what the XC60 will offer over the XC70 is simply size (and weight). I like the 2008 XC70 very much but its just got that little bit too large and now quite heavy. With the new XC70, haven test driven both the 3.2 and the D5, there no argument the D5 is the pick of the two - but the simple truth is that at 1.9 tonnes (250 kg heavier than my '06 XC70), it struggles in my opinion.

I think a smaller and lighter XC60 with the D5 would be that much better in both performance and fuel economy.

Tony

vtie
03-03-2008, 01:57 AM
I think a smaller and lighter XC60 with the D5 would be that much better in both performance and fuel economy.
Tony

That would indeed be something. If a D5 XC60 would be significantly more fuel-efficient than a D5 XC70, and if Volvo offers it with their new Powershift transmission (Ford's incarnation of DSG), I would become very interested.

But somehow, I doubt it. Most compact SUV's from other brands don't shine in fuel efficiency, and I don't think Volvo will do any better.

XCelerate
03-04-2008, 11:55 AM
My wife's Mercedes MY05 A 170 was ready for replacement. We went to look for a Mini but ended up with a BMW X3 2.5 SI (the BMW dealer offered a really incredible trade in-price for the Merc too, € 23.500 for an almost three year old car). We decided not to wait for the XC60 because our current MY08 XC70 has just too many problems, probably due to being a newly launched vehicle.
The X3 is very reliable, fuel efficient, powerfull and good looking (the interior is just a bit outdated -nav looks like it's from the eighties-, the car handles really very well).
The new XC60 was just not stunning enough to change the decision (and loose a good deal) and risk early-adopter problems. It is a nice car this new XC60, but it is too far from the concept to be really exciting.

vtie
03-05-2008, 01:11 AM
My wife's Mercedes MY05 A 170 was ready for replacement. We went to look for a Mini but ended up with a BMW X3 2.5 SI (the BMW dealer offered a really incredible trade in-price for the Merc too, € 23.500 for an almost three year old car). We decided not to wait for the XC60 because our current MY08 XC70 has just too many problems, probably due to being a newly launched vehicle.
The X3 is very reliable, fuel efficient, powerfull and good looking (the interior is just a bit outdated -nav looks like it's from the eighties-, the car handles really very well).
The new XC60 was just not stunning enough to change the decision (and loose a good deal) and risk early-adopter problems. It is a nice car this new XC60, but it is too far from the concept to be really exciting.

Yes, the X3... When I purchased my XC70, I was doubting for a long time between the X3 or the Volvo. I will replace my car within a year, so I started thinking about the X3 again, but then in 3.0sd version. Extremely performant (0-100km/h in just 6.4s), fuel efficient (7.8L/100km average), compact but versatile, and handles very well indeed. Really a car that is a lot of fun to drive. The major drawback is indeed the totally outdated interior.

For the moment, I am awaiting the official announcement of the new Audi Q5 (maybe today). Maybe that will offer the perfect mix.

Filibuster
03-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I do not like the XC60. It is too SUVish. It is even more SUVish than the X3 because I think the ground clearance is higher than that of the X3. I also do not like the design. That rear window is too inclined for no good use. I reduces the loading space and increases lift and drag. I also think it looks stupid. I must say I do not like the cars that new designer, Matti, is making for Volvo. He is talking bull about emotional design and forgetting the core utility values of Volvo.

I'm a Wagon guy so no XC60 for me. I would have loved to see a raised wagon of a size between the XC70 (to big an heavy for me) and V50 (which never was my cup of tea).

brissim
03-17-2008, 12:56 AM
I was starting to get interested in the new XC60 but some of the gloss is beginning to come off. I found some more details on the XC60 in of all places our local paper. What has surprised me (especially after one of my replies above) is the weight of the XC60. The paper quotes weights from 1825 - 1990 kg (4,023 - 4,387 lbs) which is on-par with the new XC70. This is not a lightweight car.

This weight is reflected in some of the 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) acceleration times quoted - 9.9 sec for the D5 diesel and 7.5 sec for the T6 petrol. The 9.9 sec time for the D5 is the same as for the 2008 XC70 and the 7.5 sec for the T6 compares with 7.2 sec for the 2008 V70 T6 AWD (all times for auto).

No information on fuel economy but considering the weight of the XC60 and its SUV-like shape, it can only be worse than for the 2008 XC70.

Might have to have another look at the XC70.

Tony

Edit : this info from our local paper has now made its way onto the web - see "http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/research/story/volvo_xc60_aims_for_zero_toll/"

Big
04-06-2008, 05:33 PM
It's attractive. I like it. But help me out: how is the XC60 significantly different from the XC70? The XC60 is a little shorter, taller and wider, and heavier. Is it meant to replace the aging XC70? If not, it almost seems to me like a direct competitor.

Also, how can Volvo introduce a new vehicle into the U.S. next year without better fuel economy? The XC60 may be two years too late. Finally--a pet peeve of mine--I can't believe Volvo is still using the same old navigation system.