PDA

View Full Version : Angle Gear TNN

BillAileo
02-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Volvo has released a new Tech-NET note on angle/bevel gears (TNN46-13-2008-02-11) described as follows: "5 Cylinder Angle Gear Leakage and Resealing." Has anyone had access to this document?

Bill

thebracko
02-23-2008, 11:45 AM
I can view it on VRC2, but have no way of posting or emailing it. Anything in particular you're looking for from it?

BillAileo
02-23-2008, 12:00 PM
No, nothing in particular. I was just generally curious about what maintenance Volvo is now saying is possible on the angle gear. I don't have any problems with mine. Thanks,

Bill

wgriswold
02-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Does it have any directions on filling and checking the proper level? Different people say to fill to the hole, or fill to the hole and then withdraw 100ml or 200ml and I want to do it right.

JRL
02-23-2008, 02:59 PM
It's a brand new TNN, released last week (prematurely)
It was supposed to be released in April AFTER the national Volvo tech conference.
It's very tricky, requiring some filing of the edges.
My service manager (who usually heads these conferences) has already shown them where they are wrong in their approach.
I would wait a bit until your service department have some knowledge on how to do this and YOU not being their 1st attempt, (experiment) :eek:.
As I said, it's a bit tricky. It was posted on SS and asked to be removed as it's a bit premature. No reason to deluge the dealer as he donsn't know how to do it properly (yet).
Bottom line, wait a while

bwik
02-24-2008, 05:04 PM
So what is the plan? Will dealers offer a maintenance service? How much is it likely to cost?

Thanks.

JRL
02-24-2008, 05:25 PM
I think it's for warranty first but as I said, wait a while until theyb get used to doing it right.
As I said, there is some filing of the edges of the angle gear involved here so you want someone who KNOWS what they're doing performing the job, not a 1st timer.
If it's any help, I'm having the bevel gear on my 2000R resealed in a couple of weeks.
I think the same process applies with the earlier gear, I'll let you know how it went

Chrisd
04-19-2018, 10:16 AM
The last step in small print, presumably after you have split open the unit, it says to fill with 650ml of 1161648. Talk about confusing considering Vida says the total capacity is 750ml. The document is mostly about how to glue and file the 2 halves and a new vent. It's on the internet somewhere, or pm me and I'll email it to anyone.

pbierre
04-19-2018, 03:26 PM
When I bought my '04 XC70 a year ago, I noticed the angle gear housing had some minor seepage of oil through the seam gasket.

I just changed the gear oil recently (110,000 mi.), and pumped out about 680 ml. Based on a nominal of 650 ml, I've concluded that the gasket leak
is self-sealing, just a cosmetic issue. It's not losing gear oil. I refilled to overflow, and then backed off -50 ml. I think it's supposed to be -100 ml, but
my hose got wedged in a gear mesh crevice, and it concerned me that a piece of tubing might shear off from pulling hard to extract it. I gently wiggled it out
after a few nervous minutes of being stuck. Decided to walk away at -50 ml.

sjonnie
07-24-2018, 01:25 PM
Does it have any directions on filling and checking the proper level? Different people say to fill to the hole, or fill to the hole and then withdraw 100ml or 200ml and I want to do it right.
The correct amount of oil is 650mL so if you're adding oil to an empty case you can just add 650mL and you're done. If you're topping of then fill till it comes out of the hole at which point the case contains 750mL so you must remove 100mL. First time you do this simply make a gauge for yourself from a bent wire and score the correct level on the wire, from then on you can simply fill to the correct level on the wire.