PDA

View Full Version : Input on 07 xc70 wanted

slowflyer
02-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I cannot believe I am considering this with all the trouble we had with the current Volvo, but we are considering a new one. It hasn't given us any trouble in a while so I guess I'm desensitized to it :rolleyes:.

I don't like the 08 because I think it is stupid to remove the turbo. We live at 5000 ft and regularly drive to 10000.

Anyway, the local dealer (which I like) has a couple of demo 2007s for sale. Both have about 4500 miles. I haven't seen them but this dealer typically outfits them nicely. About $35K asking on either.

Any opinions?

gary
02-14-2008, 05:35 PM
I cannot believe I am considering this with all the trouble we had with the current Volvo, but we are considering a new one. It hasn't given us any trouble in a while so I guess I'm desensitized to it :rolleyes:.

I don't like the 08 because I think it is stupid to remove the turbo. We live at 5000 ft and regularly drive to 10000.

Anyway, the local dealer (which I like) has a couple of demo 2007s for sale. Both have about 4500 miles. I haven't seen them but this dealer typically outfits them nicely. About $35K asking on either.

Any opinions?

I love our '07 (and we have an '03 too). Just had it in for it's 15K service and we've experienced no problems with it. Our '03 has just shy of 60K on it and it has been trouble-free as well, except for normal wear and tear items, but certainly nothing that has made me question why I bought the car. In fact, it is the durability of the '03 that I feel that prompted us to move on an '07 as well.

I think you'll find a general consensus that anything from '03 on up is a pretty stable platform compared to the 01s and 02s. That's not to say that there aren't stable 01s and 02s, because I know there are forum members here with those model years who say theirs have been rock solid, but I've also read a good number of horror stories out here too.

I certainly would consider another XC (even the '08 with no turbo).

Good luck!

JRL
02-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I can buy them for way less (with 8-14K miles) and could sell you one for UNDER $30,000 probably around $29,000 or so.
Pick your color, contact me and send money ;)
jrl1194 at aol.com

brianblank
02-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Your exactly right about needing the turbo in CO. I bought an '07 dealer loaner here in CO a few months ago. I paid closer to $30k with ~10k miles. I was at the dealer the other day and they still had a few loaners on the lot. LOVE the car so far, headed up to Summit County after work today :D

(I'm new to the forum and don't know the rules about posting pricing, deals or dealer info, please remove post if necessary.)

Brian

marcinrudzki
02-16-2008, 10:28 AM
I have 2007 XC70 and I like the car. I had a few problems with it within first 1000 miles of purchase (creaking central console fixed with a few pads and my steering column needed replacement) but now it is a great car. I noticed that Sill-TerHar has 3 of them on the lot. You may want to check them out.

eastcoaster
02-18-2008, 03:49 PM
As I had posted elsewhere on this board, I bought an '07 XC70 with 10K miles (demo) in October and 740 miles later, it needed a wheel hub bearing. Got that done, and so far it's been fine (I should think so). This is my first Volvo, so I can't compare it to another, but I love this car. When I tell someone I drive a Volvo wagon, they yawn, but when I drive up in it, they go "Wow, what kind of Volvo is that?" (it's black with a graphite interior). Somebody in my building at work has an '08, but mine is prettier.
Anyway, I bought the VADIS CD set on Ebay, as my husband has always worked on our cars himself, but man, this car is complicated, don't know how much he'll be able to actually do on it.

silver_xc70
02-18-2008, 04:01 PM
I have an '07 XC70 with about 12K miles and no issues so far. It is a great car in both good and bad weather.

bwik
02-18-2008, 07:11 PM
$35k is way too much for those cars. High twenties (possibly 8-9-10k off sticker) is the right price. 2007 is OLD body style. In the car world, that means HEAVY discounts.

But allow me to agree with you. The 2007 should be a very solid automobile. It is refined correcting years of design faults.

The platform in general has well designed climate control, safety systems, etc. It is not a POS platform. Quite good.

Also, your turbo comment is very sensible. The 07 should not only be more powerful in your locale versus the new 230hp V6, butget better mileage as well. Our 2001 can get 27 mpg highway.

Last time I was in Colorado I had my Saab 9-3 sedan with 210hp 2.0 turbo. My car just laughed at the altitude. Almost no power loss. Actually, it should be zero power loss (but a bit more turbo lag).

slowflyer
02-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Last time I was in Colorado I had my Saab 9-3 sedan with 210hp 2.0 turbo. My car just laughed at the altitude. Almost no power loss. Actually, it should be zero power loss (but a bit more turbo lag).

I really like the 9-5 wagon. It was definitely the most fun testdrive when we bought the 2001. Tested on a curvy mountain road.

One problem that probably hasn't been fixed on the XC is the suspension. I have replaced a lot of suspension parts (also motor mounts) over the years and I think they are too small for the weight of this car.

Looks like we may actually be looking for a sedan this time so we will look at the S60 AWD and others.

Thanks for the opinions