PDA

View Full Version : Headlight performance

barrysharp
04-06-2003, 10:26 PM
I've just returned from the OSD program where I was able to tour about Sweden/Norway. I spent a few miles driving about during night time. I really have no negatives about the XC70 at this time and I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase decision for this very fine auto. However, upon reflection wrt to night time driving I recall thinking that the headlight performance on high beam was somewhat lacking. The light pattern just didn't seem to penetrate far enough into the darkness. I compare this against my S80's headlight high beam here at home which I'm very satisfied with.

Do others feel in any way that the XC70 MY2003 or earlier models have insufficient high beam performance ? The XC70's headlight lense is more obscure than my S80's lense, and I suspect very much thicker as it's a CROSS COUNTRY -- so maybe this might explain the XC70's poorer high beam performance.

Maybe I should be considering extra lights like I saw on many of the Swedish resident Volvos. Some had what appeared to be 4 12" dia driving lamps up front. (the 12" is an exageration OK -- but nonetheless they were big impressive looking lamps) http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

RCF4
04-07-2003, 12:37 AM
They must be different than my V70 (02) lights, cause the high's are extremely bright, it's my low's I'm not too impressed with.

gary
04-07-2003, 01:29 AM
Barry,

I'm quite satisfied with the hi-beam headlight performance of our MY2003 XC70 compared to the headlight performance that we had with our Dodge Grand Caravan - the XC70 lights are just a ton better.  However, when I compare the XC70 lights with my BMW 323i w/Xenon lights, I am much happier with the xenon performance.  I realize, however, that's a rather unfair comparison.  I was bummed when I learned I couldn't get xenon on the XC70 - I understand that it might be an option on the MY2004.  I might seriously consider an upgrade if that's feasible.

wiz
04-07-2003, 06:12 AM
I live in an urban area and I have found the lights to be more than adequate under normal conditions. However, when it is foggy, the lighting is abysmal. The fogs are incorrectly aimed and the dimmed headlights has a very narrow beam that is useless. Not sure that xenons would fix that problem. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Hiro's XC
04-07-2003, 06:35 AM
Well, there is this company.

www.hids4less.com

Or upgrade the bulbs. I have the Sylvania Cool Blues. Don't worry, they aren't the diminished light of the cheap blue look bulbs, just nice crisp white. About 30% brighter that stock and $15 a piece.

Jason

budrichard
04-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Would like to mount aux driving lights but the block heater installation on the 03XC protrudes through the grill and I think it would interfere with the installation. Anyone have both installed? -Dick