PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need good technical advice on spring change

ttreat
02-13-2008, 08:58 AM
I have a 2002 XC with 84k miles which has a broken front drivers side spring. Since I do most of my own work on my vehicles, I ordered one from the dealer (which is the only place I found that had them). The dealer said that not only are they VIN specific but I also needed to give him a code that is found on the drivers front fender. That code apparently indicated a 7G suspension set up. The new coil arrived and I noticed that it has 7 coils rather than 6 like the old one. I did not yet disassemble the old strut to compare uncompressed lengths. I called the dealership and they indicated that it is the correct coil (part number 31200372). Does this seem logical? Should I install this coil spring even though it is different from the old one?

Forkster
02-13-2008, 09:14 AM
You could of ordered springs from HTTP://WWW.IPDUSA.COM - I'm sure one of the guys can pull that info from VADIS from you... anyone?

ttreat
02-13-2008, 09:43 AM
They don't have anything listed for a 2002. But I have a spring now, I want some experienced technical advice on whether or not it is equivalent to the old one. Could a 7 coil spring replace a 6 coil spring? Is it common for Volvo or other manufacturer's to make such a change? Does anyone know where I could get a good answer?

JRL
02-13-2008, 10:53 AM
They don't have anything listed for a 2002. But I have a spring now, I want some experienced technical advice on whether or not it is equivalent to the old one. Could a 7 coil spring replace a 6 coil spring? Is it common for Volvo or other manufacturer's to make such a change? Does anyone know where I could get a good answer?

This is true. The only way a dealer can order the correct spring is off your VIN plate's suspension code.
That being said, I have NEVER seen a different lenght (or different numbers of coils) spring to replace an existing spring.
As a rule and as far as I know hey don't just replace springs with a "better or different" spring.
However, the newer XC spring is a stiffer spring and perhaps a replacement SET (pair) of springs would be this spring, this I don't know.
It's very possible that the entire range of XC's was superceeded by these springs, in that case BOTH should be replaced or...
the spring is just wrong or the wrong spring was numbered this way and put in the box.
(You would be surprised how many parts come in with the wrong PN on it)[sly] or the wrong part was ordered. This is not hard to do with springs
Just pulling both springs is not a way to check. Even if they would be the same length, their rates would be different.
In my long experience with XC's, owning several both Gen 1 and P2's, the latter (post 05) spring is a better spring/strut combination than the earlier 01/02 spring/strut. (Not much experience with 03/04's) so if you must replace one, replace both and do yourself a favor, replace the front struts at the same time (either with OEM or aftermarket) if you have the money. No extra labor, just the price of the strut.
As I said in the first sentence, you DO need a VIN to order springs. Personally if this were my XC I would go to the dealer, find an 06-07 on the lot, open the hood and get the suspension number to order those springs

ttreat
02-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the insight. So you are saying that the "05+ stuts are interchangeable with the '02. The labor is cheap. It only takes less than 2 hrs to replace both assemblies.

JRL
02-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the insight. So you are saying that the "05+ stuts are interchangeable with the '02. The labor is cheap. It only takes less than 2 hrs to replace both assemblies.
I have no idea how that can be done in only two hours plus you will need an alignment.
They should be the same size but if I ask my techs they probably will say they don't know, not too many spring changes around here on XC's and especially an 05, probably none!
You didn't say why you need to change a spring, these rarely need attention.
You may want to look into Bilsteins, you would have a much more stable strut.

ttreat
02-13-2008, 06:24 PM
In my original post I stated that the front driver side spring was broken. It broke right at the bottom of the coil at the strut mount. Otherwise I wouldn't be touching them. It bugs me that a car with less than 100K would break a spring.

Last night I was able to remove the driver's side strut assembly in less than 45 minutes and it took about 10 to get it back in. This was the first time I touched the struts on the XC. Of course it would take much longer if I had to disassemble the strut and install new inserts and springs. I thought it went pretty smoothly except for breaking the tip of a torx bit in the stabilizer link. I have had a bit of experience with replacing struts on my MR2 Turbo.

ttreat
02-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I got two '05 strut spring assemblies and replaced the old ones today. I will have to get an alignment now. The '05 struts seem to be a little shorter and the car definitely sits a little lower. Nothing seems to be rubbing and I took it for a quick test drive. Is there any problem using these newer struts with the front sitting a little lower?

JRL
02-23-2008, 03:02 PM
What is a little, 1/2" or 1"?
Does the XC sit level or does it now have a rake?

ttreat
02-23-2008, 07:02 PM
It now has a rake. I think it was probably about 1" difference in the size of the struts.

JRL
02-23-2008, 09:02 PM
It now has a rake. I think it was probably about 1" difference in the size of the struts.

Well, that's definitely not right
I think you were hosed and were sold regular (01-03) AWD springs which would be about 1" lower than XC springs.
(Told you they were wrong)

ttreat
02-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I didn't use the spring. I got whole strut assemblies that were supposed to be from a '05 XC70. Why is the listing for the XC70, V70, and V70 AWD strut assemblies the same (8667253)? I don't see any specific listings for XC70 springs. Is the difference only in the springs?

JRL
02-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I didn't use the spring. I got whole strut assemblies that were supposed to be from a '05 XC70. Why is the listing for the XC70, V70, and V70 AWD strut assemblies the same (8667253)? I don't see any specific listings for XC70 springs. Is the difference only in the springs?

I think they got it wrong.
For THAT big a difference you probably have AWD struts and springs which sit about an inch lower than an XC
Consider this, your old springs and struts should have been lower (if anything) from wear. If they're now another full inch lower still you defintely have the wrong springs.
Regardless of which reason you either have to change them to the correct spring or install AWD springs in the rear.
You're sort of screwed labor wise (and maybe partwise) as you KNEW before you installed them they were for the wrong year!
All I know is this, if I opened the box and the spring was noticeably shorter I would not have installed them until I found out why.
How DID you order them anyway?
Volvo parts cannot order a correct spring or strut unless they have you ( or a) chassis number, this is the only way it's listed.
Same for brakes and rotors, they go by chassis number, not VIN number
It's always a possiblity they were packaged wrong, I've seen this many times :confused:
If these were used, who knows what they came off of

ttreat
02-24-2008, 05:14 PM
I got them from Erie Vo Vo. I told them I needed entire strut assemblies for a '05 XC70. They are usually pretty good for service. They said they were guaranteed so I guess I will see how well they back up their guaratee. I think they just looked up the strut assembly part number which seems to be the same on the V70, V70 AWD, and V70XC.

As for the installation, it's no big deal. It cost me less than an hour an a half of my time. They are a simple swap and it gets easier each time I do it.;) I just won't get it aligned until it is correct.

JRL
02-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Talk to Jack there, he's good at making good!
I had a similar problem with a couple of parts, they just got them mixed up.
Anything's possible, it's whoever marks and bags the parts.
Just explain the situation carefully so he understands what happened.
(I'm sure you will, but I thought I would say it anyway) ;)

ttreat
02-28-2008, 05:21 AM
Patrick at Erie Vo Vo came through. Excellent customer service. They sent me another pair that fit this time. They are taking care of shipping for return pair and didn't even require me to send them back before I got the correct parts.
Unfortunately, I am getting quite good at this strut switch. Last night I did both struts in 1hr 15 minutes including cleanup. I could think of other things that I would rather be doing with that time.

One watchout, the correct struts are definitely longer from the bottom coil perch to the bottom of the strut. This perplexes me since all the parts listings show the same strut assembly for the V70, V70AWD, and V70XC. They confirmed that the struts were not off of a XC70 but Maybe the struts that they sent me weren't even off of a V70? :confused:

JRL
02-28-2008, 06:29 AM
Glad you got it right, don't forget to align it

slowflyer
02-28-2008, 03:17 PM
It bugs me that a car with less than 100K would break a spring.

Get used to it. The suspension parts on this vehicle are a big disappointment. Look at IPD parts. They seem beefier. That is what I will do WHEN the next piece breaks.