PDA

View Full Version : "Stop Neutral" Software Patch

rhauptschein
02-05-2008, 08:31 PM
I apologize as I may have asked this before, but is it worth it to go ahead and get this transmission software patch (for ~$150)??

On the one hand, my car is asymptomatic, so if it aint broke, don't fix it. On the other hand, I understand, the patch will reduce wear and tear on the transmission and increase the long term car health. I got conflicting/opposite opinions from 2 different Volvo dealers! Thanks for your views in advance.

VICIII
02-06-2008, 06:43 AM
My mech also swears against it.
He said to take you foot off the break and let it engage, then gas. If you jump on the gas all the time it would be better but if you do not don't change it.
who knows.
The trans are weak and we all suffer.

brbevil
02-06-2008, 07:05 AM
I had the switch done and a transmission flush. Totally worth it! Much smoother and no more clunking. Able to pull out swiftly into traffic with no hesitation.

Omega5
02-06-2008, 07:32 AM
I am totally confused here, and the more I read the worst it gets.
What model years are affected by this?

MoeB
02-06-2008, 07:43 AM
My mech also swears against it.
He said to take you foot off the break and let it engage, then gas. If you jump on the gas all the time it would be better but if you do not don't change it.
who knows.
The trans are weak and we all suffer.

With just about any other car with an auto trans, you shift into gear with your foot on the brake. The shift-neutral routine puts the car into gear AFTER you take your foot off the brake. That takes a toll on the clutches. Dumb design, in my opinion. Get rid of it ASAP.

JRL
02-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Last time, all of you.

GET RID OF THE STOP NEUTRAL FUNCTION!

This is the reason why many/most 01 transmissions have failed!

I don't care if your transmission "seems" to be fine for the moment.

If you have an 01 (and a few early 02 that also have it) get the latest transmission software downloaded ASAP

Omega5
02-06-2008, 11:14 AM
OK, so I take it it's the 01 and some 02 that are affected not 03+?

funglenn
02-06-2008, 02:24 PM
seriously, if you do nothing else to the car, get rid of that stupid thing. They discontinued it after 02 because it was a terrrible idea and a way to wear out the transmission.

If you pop it into neutral after every stop, all tranmissions would die in all cars.... it is the only mod I have done to the car!

JRL
02-06-2008, 02:51 PM
OK, so I take it it's the 01 and some 02 that are affected not 03+?

I REALLY don't like to repeat myself.
Read and absorb as i'm not going to say this again...

ALL 01's and some early production 02's are affected
...period...

rcb2001XC
02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
When we had our '01 XC in for the throttle control reprogramming there was a transmission code stored also. The recommended fix for the code was removing the stop neutral function. The dealer claimed it was the first time they had seen that code, but I had told them about the clunking from a stop that was getting worse.

Rick B.

rhauptschein
02-07-2008, 06:47 PM
When we had our '01 XC in for the throttle control reprogramming there was a transmission code stored also. The recommended fix for the code was removing the stop neutral function. The dealer claimed it was the first time they had seen that code, but I had told them about the clunking from a stop that was getting worse.

Rick B.

I think the ETM software patch and transmission stop neutral patch are 2 different codes, that are not downloaded automatically together, OR am I not correct??

JRL
02-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Of course they're different, one is free and one you're probably going to pay for

rcb2001XC
02-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Of course they're different, one is free and one you're probably going to pay for

That's correct. The ETM programming was free and the transmission programming cost $80.00. The throttle control in our XC was exhibiting the common failure symptoms (rough idle, stalling, etc) when we brought it in.

Rick B.

PJ810
02-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I've had mine disabled (although I liked it and waited for it to engage before accelerating). Now that it's disabled, how long should one typically need to be stationary before manually selecting neutral? My dad does it at every red traffic light. I do it only if I know it's going to be a long one. Is there a theory on this? Surely there's wear and tear going on if you're holding the car with the brakes...

Thoughts on this are much appreciated.

JRL
02-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Just shift it like you would any transmission as that's what it is now, normal

PJ810
02-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Just shift it like you would any transmission as that's what it is now, normal

To me a manual transmission is "normal". The question was, at what point would you shift an auto into neutral, and when would you just not bother? I'm asking from a wear and tear as well as a fuel consumption point of view.

JRL
02-11-2008, 06:00 AM
You don't "think" or put it in neutral, that actually makes things wear prematurely
Just drive the car.
Place foot on gas pedal and drive, that's it!

Omega5
02-11-2008, 07:02 AM
PJ, you are confused because you are thinking "clutch". With automatic trannys there are solenoids that direct hydraulic fluid all over the place for different actions. Each time you move the selector you turn these solenoids on and off, also each time the tranny switches gears up or down, you flick this solenoids on and off. The less of this, the better for the tranny. You going N to D and back every time you stop, is worst then just keeping it in D.

As for the clutch; it is different then how they work on manual. The clutch friction is actually dictated by RPM to some extent. The torque converter (donut looking thing where a recular clutch would be) does the trick. Since there are no touching parts inside it, there is no wear (actually it just "wears" the oil, but no mechanical wear). The actual clutch plates are further in the tranny, and their job is to engage and disengage when the car is shifting gears up or down. This is because at this point the torque converter is "engaged" so you kind of need a 2nd clutch (if you want to look at it that way). Those are the ones that you have to worry about. Those are the ones you wear out by flooring the car every time you start and those are the ones you wear out by constantly shifting up and down in gears like when you pass and stuff. That's where most problems come from. The torque converter, which is what is responsible for "engaging and disengaging" the tranny when you cross from idle to higher RPM rarely brakes down.

Hope that helps.

MoeB
02-11-2008, 10:14 AM
To me a manual transmission is "normal". The question was, at what point would you shift an auto into neutral, and when would you just not bother? I'm asking from a wear and tear as well as a fuel consumption point of view.

When your brake foot gets tired.

Seriously, you never need to shift into neutral unless you're on ice and there's a chance the engine will brake the wheels and cause you to slide. Or the engine dies and you need to restart. Coasting/sitting in neutral will not save any fuel because fuel injected engines don't suck in fuel when in gear like carbureted engines.

jessie
02-18-2008, 10:19 PM

...period...

Sorry, but I have a September 02 model which is affected. And the download didn't work - I now have to get a replacement. At 99,000km. Not happy!

stevehecht
07-09-2008, 09:55 PM

...period...

First Post: I just helped my friend buy a beauteous blue sparkling fresh (39K miles) 2002 V70 XC for $15K. (Good price I think.) She's a she so I'm researching car care for her.

JRL: "...some early production 02's?" Is there any way to know how early? The production date on the inside door jamb gives a production date of 9/01. Is that early? Are there chassis numbers associated with having the stop neutral function installed?

MoeB
07-10-2008, 04:21 AM
According to the attached TechNet Note, hers shouldn't have the S/N routine. Then again, jessie in Australia's late production '02 XC ostensibly had S/N. Just have your friend get a Volvo dealer to check if the TCM software is up to date and that should cover it.

JRL
07-10-2008, 05:05 AM
JRL: "...some early production 02's?" Is there any way to know how early? The production date on the inside door jamb gives a production date of 9/01. Is that early? Are there chassis numbers associated with having the stop neutral function installed?

Supposedly no (02) XC's had it but you never know, there is no posted date or VIN
Yes, 9/01 would be early

appalachia
06-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I have an '01 V70 XC that I purchased last April. I have been reading this forum and I know that I need to have the neutral control disabled by upgrading the TCM software. The trouble is Hunter Volvo in Asheville is retarded. Three times I have asked them to perform this service and every time they say that they have never heard of it, but last time the kid running the service desk laughed at me and told me not to trust what I hear on the internet. I wanted to strangle him. How can I educate them and then demand the proper software patch? We dont have another dealer around and we are experiencing the post stop "thump" now.

MoeB
06-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Tell them the transmission is downshifting harsly when you come to a stop. That's called a "customer concern" and they are obliged to fix it.

brbevil
06-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I had to do a search for the patch # on this forum as my dealer was just as retarded. I live in Charleston and the lady at the counter looked at me like I was from mars. Get the patch # and tell them to look it up. This worked great for me almost 2 years ago and I had the transmission flushed asap.

JRL
06-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Just tell them you want the latest tranny software, the removal of S/N is included.
They don't have to do anything, just install the software
There is no "patch", per se just the latest software

appalachia
06-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks all. I will head back to the dealers armed with the software update # and my customer concern. If that doesnt work I will bribe them with Sparks beer and Doral menthol 100 cigarettes.

JRL
06-06-2009, 01:43 PM
First Post: I just helped my friend buy a beauteous blue sparkling fresh (39K miles) 2002 V70 XC for $15K. (Good price I think.) She's a she so I'm researching car care for her.

Good miles, but boy that's a ton of money! :eek: I could have sold her an 05 with the same miles for about the same money, maybe $750 more.
That's early but I have no idea if there really were or not.
I was told there were a few but no info.
Just have her get the latest software download patch (and flush it at the same time) and she should be fine for a long long time

JRL
06-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks all. I will head back to the dealers armed with the software update # and my customer concern. If that doesnt work I will bribe them with Sparks beer and Doral menthol 100 cigarettes.

You're not listening (reading),

JUST TELL THEM TO DOWNLOAD THE LATEST TRANNY SOFTWARE... PERIOD, DON'T WORRY ABOUT A PART NUMBER.

appalachia
06-08-2009, 08:14 AM
I really do appreciate the attitude JRL. It was completely called for seeing as how I have asked for the latest software previously and they have not delivered.

JRL
06-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Listen,
This is your car.
You TELL them to do it, afterall you are paying for it