PDA

View Full Version : Water and Water

mesidia
01-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Whenever I take a sharp turn I can hear water rushing around in the roof. I thought it may have been up front, so the problem might have been taken care of when I took it in last week for the wet carpets, but alas I am still stuck with my own personal ocean in the roof of my car.

The first problem was fixed last week. The fresh air intake drain was plugged and the aftermarket windshield had been installed improperly, so they dried out the car and unclogged the drain, resealed w-shield etc. So now another, or the same problem crops up.

I'm really at a loss for this one, I mean, there's no water getting in the car anymore, but it cant by normal to have rushing water sloshing around in the roof of my car can it? Or is this a swedish thing?;) It's out of warranty, and the last bill was 400 clams, although the w-shield shop will take care of 1/2 of that. Any advice appreciated. I'm worried about going up to the mountain and having that water freeze up and break something.

Rustpot
01-27-2008, 01:55 PM
When I had my sunroof replaced I saw the new unit- It has drain pipes on it for anything that makes it past the sunroof seal in case you leave it slightly cracked. The pipes lead back and drain through the B-pillars. You might want to see if you've got something clogging the bottom of those and make sure your sunroof is sealed properly.

mesidia
01-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Are those the rear pillars? Can I access the drains from below?

Rustpot
01-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Between the front and rear doors. A is windshield, B, C, D at the tailgate.

I have no idea where they actually exit, the guy at the shop told me they were drains that go through the B-pillars.

The pipes on the sunroof were pretty good sized though, at least 1/2inch. You can proably lay under there with a flashlight and look for holes. I would try to find mine for you, but there's a whole lot of snow in the way right now.

BillAileo
01-27-2008, 03:19 PM
There is an assembly called the draining frame that is part of the sunroof setup. If I am reading Vadis information correctly there are four drain hoses that attach to it. Two attach near the front and are routed through the A post and two attach at the rear and are routed through the C post. I have not been able to find a drawing in Vadis showing their exact routing, but obviously they must be set up so that they drain underneath the body of the car. Any chance your sun roof might have been opened in settings where leaves or other debris could be blocking the drains?

Bill

mesidia
01-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Negative, I don't really use it much. The front drains are clear, I tested them, but I can't get behind the glass to see the rear drains. Also, the sunroof pan is not wet at all, so I imagine if they were plugged there would be water in and out of the pan as I drove, providing the blockage was further downstream than the opening.

dagibby
01-28-2008, 06:43 AM
I have cleared sunroof drains on other cars with my drill and good weed eater cord. Works great if that is indeed your culprit.