PDA

View Full Version : Parking Light Question

ttreat
01-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Has anybody replaced their front parking lights? The owners manual seems to indicate that it is a small light in the same housing as the low beam headlamp. However, it appears to me that it is actually the turn signal light that doubles as the parking lamp. I haven't been able to remove the turn signal light from the housing as this seems quite difficult. Any thoughts and recommendations.

Crazy Harry
01-27-2008, 02:49 PM
I haven't actually replaced one of the bulbs you mentioned, but recently changed the low beam headlamp bulb on the driver's side. What a pain due to the air filter box being in the way :mad:. Anyway, at the time I was doing this I noticed an extra hole in the headlamp assembly which seems to be the parking light you and the owners manual refer to. I said hole because there is nothing installed there as this must be a Europe only feature where they leave dim lights (5W) on while parking at night so no-one finds your car the hard way. What we refer to as parking lights in North America is different and is in fact one of the filaments in the turn signal bulb (21W).

Hope this helps,

Harold.

pelagikos
01-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Mine XC '03, contrary to the owner’s manual and to Sylvania catalogs, has 1157A lamp (yellow, dual filament) for front blinker/parking

Crazy Harry
01-29-2008, 08:11 PM
The 1157A amber is probably the most popular turn signal/running light bulb in North America. There is also a clear version, 1157 (without the A), usually used a rear running light/brake light. These are dual filament bulbs with two intensities. They should only fit one way so don't force it in! The little pins on the side are offset, not directly across from each other, that's why they only go in one way! This ensures the proper intensity filament is lit as required.

Harold.