PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER Tire Q - Spd Rating?

20nic
01-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Can/Should I put an H rated tire on my 02xc?

I looked through all the other FAQ tire posts but saw nothing on speed ratings, though I may have missed something. Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Omega5
01-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Just a quick note, or a heads up.
Stay away from Good Year Assurance tires.
1) My friend installed a new set on his Accord and he kept complaining about vibrations (i assumed he's on crack at first) but then after 2 tire balances he kept insisting. Finally he went to a specialized shop, and they tested the tires and sure enough 2 out of the 4 tires were really out of round, although balanced, they produced an up and down vibration when driving. Kind of like having flat spots, except this was a factory defect. He had then exchanged at Good Year for free, after producing the receipt.

2) My XC came with Assurance and sure enough there is a serious vibration that a regular tire balance could not take out. The tires are not worn out yet, so I'm reluctant to change them, but i fear that this vibration (significant at over 130km/h) will cause problems for my shocks, ball joints, and the entire suspension system in general.

My vote is against those tires.

Aviator
01-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Can/Should I put an H rated tire on my 02xc?

Of course you can......it's just a tire with a higher speed rating. That equals peace of mind when your right foot gets heavy !![thumbup]

Dave.

20nic
01-11-2008, 06:35 AM
ok -- so now I'm confused. When we purchased the car used in 06 it had on Perelli STRs which are V rated. I thought this was stock...am I wrong?

also, I'm looking at the Yokohama Geolander a/t-s which is $89 on tirerack...an suv tire that is highly rated. any thoughts? would love the nokians but out of budget constraints right now.

Omega5
01-11-2008, 07:11 AM
ok -- so now I'm confused. When we purchased the car used in 06 it had on Perelli STRs which are V rated. I thought this was stock...am I wrong?

I'm not sure where we lost you, but if it was my comment, keep in mind I bought my car used and with 120k on it, so it is for sure on it's 2nd set of tires at least. I have no idea what the car came from the factory with, but I know what i have on it right now.

As for the speed rating, higher is better, lower is not going to cause you to loose control or anything like that but it's not good practice. There is a very big safety margin, but the tire itself is not guaranteed to hold it's shape and perform as well when you exceed the speed rating.

Having said that, keep this in mind: I have exceeded the speed rating on my tires so many times by so much, and I'm here to talk about it. Winter tires usually, have very low speed rating and I have done 240km/h with them on my old BMW, and at that point the tires vibrating was the least of my concerns, I was more afraid my hood and doors were going to peal off. :D

20nic
01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
No, Omega5, it was not your comment that confused me. In fact, thanks for the heads up on the Assurance -- I'll be sure to stay away from them

It was Aviator's comment about the H's being a higher speed rating, as I was assuming that the car came with the Perelli STRs as stock, which hold a V rating (which is higher than the H).

Ok, now I think I have confused even myself!! :D Hope you can follow what I meant above! :)