PDA

View Full Version : Can I disable the seatbelt warning "bong"

TiredGeek
01-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I know in the grand scheme of things it's not a biggy, but the damn "bong" when I start the car and don't have my belt on is driving me nuts. Shouting "I'm pulling out of the garage you stupid car, I'll put my belt on when I've shut the doors" doesn't seem to be getting thru to it, as it's still bonging at me everytime.
So, can I cut the damn wire to the bonger thingy (and where the hell is it?) without ending up with dash warnings or any other malfunctions? I don't mind the little symbols on dash and interior mirror, it's the noise that does my head in.....

I haven't asked the stealer as I know they'll just say "no".
I suppose if all else fails, and if I can find the thing, then I could wrap it in a rag or something to muffle it, but I'd much rather disable it completely ;)

Aviator
01-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Wear ear defenders !!!:D:D:D

Dave.

Omega5
01-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Odd, mine doesn't do it at all! and I kind of want it! Or at least I want to know why it doesn't do it, not so much want the noise.

I get the seat belt sign on the mirror for about 5 seconds when i start the engine, and then it's gone for good and i don't see it again. Driver or passenger.

It's an 04 XC70

MoeB
01-10-2008, 08:06 AM
It's not an option on my 2001. Not sure about an '07.

TiredGeek
01-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Looks like I'm gonna have to live with it then ;)

I should have mentioned the car is an '07 UK spec, don't know if that varies from US in this department....

It has the "feature" of bonging when you first start the car (5 if I remember correctly) then shutting up. If you haven't got you're belt on then exceed about 10mph it starts bonging again 'till you do put the belt on. That I don't mind as I never drive without the belt, but why have 5 bongs in the first place?

I'll have a chat with an indy guy that I've been recommended :D

John@CdnRockies
01-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Don't feel bad - my Avalon would ding 56 times (I am not kidding) before just resorting to the flashing red light warning. I finally found a computer command combo on the internet to turn the noise off (but of course our dealer insisted this could not be changed).

I have found the Volvo's intrusion is relatively benign in comparison.;)

John

Aviator
01-10-2008, 07:48 PM
but why have 5 bongs in the first place?

For the visually impaired !!!;)

Dave.

Omega5
01-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Is it the same bong as when you have the Key in the ignition and open the door?
I'm asking because mine doesn't say a beep about the belt but it does make noise if i leave the key in the ignition and open the door. So if it's using the same speaker or buzzer, then i know the speaker is hooked up. If it uses two separate speakers, then maybe someone disconnected the speaker for the seatbelt. But the light does not come on either so i don't know.

What do you think?

santon
01-11-2008, 12:23 PM
my cdn 2003 has no chime either for the door. bought my car used as well.

Omega5
01-11-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't really care to hear the damn thing, i just want to know if something is broken and or if something has been jumpered out of taken out.

TiredGeek
01-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Well I don't get any bongs or other warnings when opening the door with the key in, ignition on or off.

Do you think someone at the factory just wires these cars up at random just to confuse the end user / dealers :confused: :D

JRL
01-11-2008, 01:57 PM
I NEVER owned or drove a P2 Volvo with seatbelt chimes, just the dash light and I'v personally owned 4 and have driven at least 50

BillAileo
01-11-2008, 02:10 PM
My experience has been the same as JRL's. Maybe the UK has safety regulations requiring an audible noise?

Bill

JRL
01-11-2008, 04:23 PM
My experience has been the same as JRL's. Maybe the UK has safety regulations requiring an audible noise?

Bill
The NEW cars (08s) 'BONG" you to death. This IS a FORD deal but with a Ford, you CAN defeat this by going thru about 20 macinations that take about 1/2 hour (it's right in the owners manual).
As far as I know you cannot defeat the 08 Volvo's ding! ding! ding! ding!:mad:

thegoheens.com
01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Just a quick note - a couple relatives of mine drive around town without their seatbelt on (these are VERY small towns). I don't know where they found this, but it's basically a buckle that sits in there all the time with no belt attached to it. This way your car thinks there is a seatbelt in the buckle. Thought this might help.

revolver
01-30-2008, 01:09 PM
I have a 1994 940 Estate and the seatbelt reminder bothered me and there was a wiring connector beneath the front of the drivers seat, which was easy to connect/disconnect. I have a 2001 XC70 and it my wife drives it and is not bothered by it so I have not looked to see if there is the same arrangement. Basically there has to be a switch in the seat cushion to sense whether someone is sitting in it.

Aviator
01-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Basically there has to be a switch in the seat cushion to sense whether someone is sitting in it.

The switch would be in the seatbelt latch.

Dave.

Willy
01-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Just a quick note - a couple relatives of mine drive around town without their seatbelt on (these are VERY small towns). I don't know where they found this, but it's basically a buckle that sits in there all the time with no belt attached to it. This way your car thinks there is a seatbelt in the buckle. Thought this might help.

I think that deceiving the car by making it think the driver and/or passenger wears the seat belt is a very dangerous thing to do.
These cars have accelerometers that determine the decellaration (and direction) when the car crashes. The air bags can be released in different stages,the way they deploy can differ if the safety belts are worn or not. This perfectly makes sense, if eg. the passengers body moves forward in a head on crash, the force of the air bag could injure instead of save!
If I remember well, the air bags functioning is described in the owners manual.
Willy

Omega5
01-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Willy: I'll fight this to my final resting place. I had my airbags deploy only once in my life, and I was wearing a seatbelt, and I can tell you for sure I would have been far better off without the damn things.

I AM PERSONALLY 100% AGAINST AIRBAGS.

It was a headon with a concrete post, and I saw the entiere thing happen in slow motion, once the bags exlpoded, they blew my hands off the stirring wheel, PUNCHED me in the face blew and broke my glasses off my face cutting my nose and i got rug burn on my upper lip from that. Had the air bag not deployed, I would have walked out with no scratch or bruise.

Instead, I had a cracked windshield, cracked dashboard, deployed airbags, and broken glasses, all expenses associated with the airbags. Car was nearly a write off because of it not the mechanical damage.

Back on the topic of seatbelts:
I have had the bad habit of only buckling occasionally, but since I purchased my 04 XC70 I find myself not wearing it at all anymore. This car alerts you only for 5 seconds when you start the engine, and then does not do anything at all to indicate you are not wearing a seatbelt. How was it disabled, I have no idea, I bought it that way. But i can tell you for SURE you can do something bout it.

Personally I want to turn it on on my car! But i don't know how!

The rear view mirror has a light indicating no seatbelt and the airbags, if you press on those lights gently, you can feel something that i think is a push button. Is this actually a button under there? Does it have something to do with the missing bong? Is it some secret button there the manual doesn't say anything about? Has anyone ever taken one of those 600$ mirrors apart to see what's in there?

Meat Popsicle
01-31-2008, 01:25 PM
My 01 simply says "hey man put your seat belt on when your ready. Until then may I get a swedish bikini team member to help you adjust your coat tails"

Its really cool

revolver
01-31-2008, 02:01 PM
The switch would be in the seatbelt latch.

Dave.
I am only a humble junior member but I think that there must be a sensor in the seat as well as the buckle because otherwise the alarm would go every time you had no passenger.

Willy
02-01-2008, 12:27 AM
There will always be specific circumstances where a specific security item had a negative result,
I also understand that ones opinion is biased if one was the victim of such "bad experience".
But I do think that it is a mistake to take the exception for the rule.
Willy

colin
02-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I hadn't really noticed the seatbelt warning sound but that was because I always had the radio going. After reading this thread I turned the radio off and sure enough there it was:)

According to "statistics"Airbags are supposed to save lives and they probably do for those who refuse to wear seatbelts.
I always question a safety item that warns you of the possibility of personal injury if it is used. I do however like the idea of side curtain airbags.

Willy
02-02-2008, 05:33 AM
I hadn't really noticed the seatbelt warning sound but that was because I always had the radio going. After reading this thread I turned the radio off and sure enough there it was:)

According to "statistics"Airbags are supposed to save lives and they probably do for those who refuse to wear seatbelts.
I always question a safety item that warns you of the possibility of personal injury if it is used. I do however like the idea of side curtain airbags.

Volvo doesn't see the airbags as a safety item for non-safety belt wearers,
they specifically state that the airbags are a supplementary safety system and can be dangerous if deployed without the driver or passenger wearing the seat belt. This is why the airbags can deploy in a different way when the cars senses that the safety belts are not being worn.
Willy

Aviator
02-02-2008, 10:26 PM

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! S.R.S. = SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM !!!!! You're more likely to die after you've been ejected through the windscreen of your vehicle wearing the airbag, and if you don't get ejected then you wear a lot of dashboard. Or better yet........blowing your cranium apart as it passes violently through the steering wheel spokes and into the instrument panel !!!

Dave.

TiredGeek
02-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Graphic images ;)

I always wear my belt, except for pulling out of the garage, when it bongs like mental [cussing]

In UK it's the law to wear a belt at all times, maybe that's why it bongs when you exceed 10mph without one on......

dicks volvo
04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Seat belts make perfect sense, what if the airbag does not go off? Then what is supposed to keep you in the car or stop you from rolling around on your passengers as the car rolls.

As for the airbag doing damage.. are you the right distance from the wheel? do you drive with your hands at 9 and 3, cause if you have your hand on the top of the wheel, your forehead will have and impression in it when the airbag is set off.

Sasquatch
04-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Bong? These Swedish cars have EVERYTHING!

Mink
04-03-2008, 02:40 AM
I am only a humble junior member but I think that there must be a sensor in the seat as well as the buckle because otherwise the alarm would go every time you had no passenger.

My '04 only bongs when the driver doesn't buckle up. My wife gets quite miffed that Olga apparently doesn't care whether she lives or dies... Same thing for back seat passengers. No bong, whether the seats are occupied or not.

However I have noticed an electrical wire to the passenger side seat belt buckle. I wonder if this arms the airbags on that side? Or maybe arms the anti-whiplash seat function? Or maybe it should bong when she sits in the seat, but is faulty. Does the bonging happen when passengers forget to buckle up in anyone else's car? :confused:

Once or twice I've needed to move the car around in parking or camping areas and to save being driven mad by the constant bonging I've buckled up the seatbelt before I got into the car, and then sat on top of the belt. [cool2]