PDA

View Full Version : Where do you go for repair (MA)?

brick
01-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I am in search for a used xc70, and am curious where others bring their xc70s for repair. I've had enough Volvos to know it won't be repair-free. I know a few dealers in the area - one too far, two I want to avoid. I also know a Volvo-certified independent mechanic who's been taking care of my 850 for several years, but he doesn't see newer models much at all (parking lot observation). I'm sure he's capable of dealing with newer models, but I'd be hesitant to bring the newer model there.

If you live in (near) Massachusetts, where do you take your xc70s for repairs? I'm near Rt.128 and Rt.2 intersection. PM me if that's more comfortable for you.

chazbud
01-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Purchsed my 07 over a year ago from the dealer in Nashua but haven't had any warranty issues and since they wanted $300 for an oil change and cabin filter @ the 15000 mile check I figued I needed to also do my own servicing on this car. I would also be interested in someone in the area.

rhauptschein
01-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Swanson Auto Service (independent Volvo service expertise) in Brookline is very good, though maybe distant from where you live and/or work. They may be able to give you a more conveniently located reliable alternative.

brick
01-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Swanson Auto Service (independent Volvo service expertise) in Brookline is very good, though maybe distant from where you live and/or work. They may be able to give you a more conveniently located reliable alternative.

Yes, I know of them, and yes, a little too out of the way. Do you see a lot of newer models serviced there? With so much computer/software dependency, I wonder if the indies have the right equipment (and familiarity).

Hopefully this isn't posting rule violation, but these are the ones I have taken my 850/940/960 in the past.

These are the shops within reasonable radius from me
Dealers -
Lovering Volvo - one chazbud mentioned I think. I thought they did good work, but never cheap.
128 Volvo
Boston Volvo Village

Indy -
SMW in Concord - slightly lower labor rate, Volvo-certified mechs, nice people, no loaner

If there is any other indy in this area, that know how to service new models, I'd be a lot more at ease as I purchase one (04 and later).

striperhound
01-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Bought my 07 back in May at Lovering and no problems so I'm little help. One service trip for 7500 mile maintenance at dealer. Service people good to work with.

Waterdog
01-04-2008, 05:31 PM
I've only needed routine maintenance, but I have been treated well at Boston Volvo Village, and they offer a free shuttle to/from the Red Line, if that is useful for you (it is ideal for me).

silver_xc70
01-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I have used Farrell Volvo in Southboro. An oil change and 7.5K service - so far so good.

ellita
01-04-2008, 07:14 PM
For non-warranty service, I used to go to Cinderella Carriage in Cambridge. They're located off Concord Av in the Fresh Pond area near the end of Rt 2. They specialize in Volvos, have experience with XCs, and were good at diagnosing weird problems with my old 850. They're not cheap, however.

rhauptschein
01-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes, I know of them, and yes, a little too out of the way. Do you see a lot of newer models serviced there? With so much computer/software dependency, I wonder if the indies have the right equipment (and familiarity).

Of course, you will not really see any newer Volvo still under warranty at an indie. So there were more oldies including pre-2001 cars than >2001. That being said, when I moved out of state, my new service guy was quite impressed how well the car was maintained. I believe they would schedule a computer guy to come in on certain days for software upgrades.

jbackus4
07-15-2008, 07:20 AM
I have had allot of trouble finding reliable repair service for my 2001 V70XC, so much so that I can’t wait to get rid of it. I should never have traded my 850 GLT.

Gallo Volvo in Worcester, MA misdiagnosed a bad wheel bearing as warn brake pads, and forgot to re-apply all the bolts to the engine slash guard, which fell off on my way home from the dealer. (I also had a 135K mile checkup done which included an oil change) There is allot more to the story but I've been trying to go back hoping they can regain my trust, but it’s difficult when the car they are servicing is the one we use for our long travels. I don’t need this car failing on me because of improper/misdiagnosed repairs when I'm several hundred miles away. Not to mention that it’s never less than $600 when I bring it in.

I now have an unusual road noise that I thought was another bearing problem, only to have Goodyear replace three tie rods in the front. (The forth was replaced just a year earlier) It did not fix the problem and those repairs created another awful noise when turning all the way to the left or right. I brought it back to Goodyear to look it over again, there answer, "Everything’s ok. It must be the tires." So, I brought it back to Town Fair Tire where I bought the tires 7 months and 9K miles earlier, and they said that one of the front tie rods was bad. Back to Goodyear I go, where they replaced the busted tie rod they had installed one week earlier, but I still have the same loud road noise. Goodyear suggested I go to a dealer to have it looked at before I can get prorated replacement tires from Goodyear thru Town Fair Tire.

So, please, if anyone knows a reliable service shop in my area, I'd love to give them my business. There's certainly plenty of it.

Thanks to you all for your help,
John

cloudship
07-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Well, I just bought an XC70. But a few years ago I had a 850 Turbo. I had a couple places I took it. First, MacKouls cars in Grafton. They were not the cheapest, and he was one to try and push repairs on you that you really didn't need so much, But he was good, and his son (Jesse) was exceptional as a mechanic. There is also a guy in Brookfield (may be out of your way), but I don't think he is taking new customers. There is another guy, wish I could remember his name, down on Route 20 in Auburn. Across from the place that sells motorcycles, just before you hit Patricks. His place does not look like much, but he did a good job.

I have a Saab right now, and I have been using Auto Pro Import Repair over on James Street in Worcester. Again a bit far from the highway, but he is really good and cheap, too. He does not necessarily have all the specialized tools, as he is a little more general. But real straight with you, and stands behind his work.

jbackus4
07-30-2008, 04:38 AM
Hey Cloudship.

Thanks for the list of places to try. I will check them out, especially now that I've had to replace another wheel bearing @ $364.05, a 150K tuneup @ $512.59 and replaced all 4 front lower control arm bushings @ $548.41. (+ one day loaner @ $14.00) Total of $1,475.40 :eek: which already includes a parts and labor discount of 10%. I can not complain about the discount but even with the discount, the parts listed online at www.thevolvopartsclub.com are far less.

I think its time to trade it in and I'm thinking about a Honda that a local dealer offers 7yr/100K warranty on new vehicles with the v6 engine, AND the first scheduled maintainance tuneup isnt until 100K. I just might be sold on a new Honda. [thumbup]

Thank again Cloudship for your help,
John

Sasquatch
07-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Gallo has given me some "issues" as well. Go look at my other posts, and you'll see. They said I needed a new tie rod end, then they didn't. It makes funny scraping noises and feelings in passenger wheelwell which goes with rotation speed. I am feeling it might be a bearing, but they didn't indicate that.

There is a place on Rte 20 in Auburn near the old racquet club which is supposed to be OK. Otherwise, the place on James St. also has my interest, but they don't advertise for Volvos on their sign.

I hear there is a garage in one of the Brookfields which also does good work.