PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in '04-'05 purchase

brick
01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
I took a look at an '04 with <13k miles - surprisingly low mileage. A quick test drive didn't turn up anything noteworthy, other than missing door lock (the thing that goes up/down when you un/lock). A quick look at the dipstick shows very clean, recently serviced oil with no hint of sludge.

Priced at $25k, but I'm sure there is room for negotiation. It was a personal lease, sold in Tennessee, now in New England.

I won't do an impulse buy, and intend to look at others as well, but what should I pay more attention to next time I go for another test drive?

I know this board gets a lot of these "what do you think about this deal?" type, but I really could use help. I went through several Volvos, none of them low maintenance, especially each got old, but I'm thinking I'll give Volvo one more chance...

brick
01-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Oh, this '04 has original warranty left till July '08. I'm hoping that'll be enough time to flush issues. Naive?

mbsl98
01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
The '04's and later are really very solid cars with few expected issues that would occur in teh first 60-80k+ miles. If oil has been changed a couple of times, that is about all of teh preventive maintenance called for, althoug it should really have its brake fluid changed, and cooling systemj changed also, just due to age (3 yrs). I have put my '07 on a 15k cycle for partial transmission fluid changes, as I have done very successfully with al of my other Volvo's, and would recommend that you consider that as well, but it's not something that would have been done yet by just about anyone.

If you are spending in the $25k neighborhood, you should really do some searching on prices for leftover '07's just to see what teh difference is. Volvo has done some heavy price cutting on teh '07's right along, and now that they are obsoleted by teh next generation I would expect even better deals. I bought our new '07 on August 31, 2006 for almost exactly $30k, by agreing to lease it before buying it out ( on good lease terms). Volvo had a $9k "lease incentive" on them, separate from price negotiations, even while they were giving a $10k discount on leftover '06's. If nothing else, knowing how deeply teh '07's were discounted might give you some leverage on reducing teh price of the '04. Good luck - these are really good cars for almost everyone here.

Forkster
01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey brick - welcome to XC forums. Three items:

1. $25000 is on the high end for price considering the buy-back value was probably $18000. At lease auction, it wouldn't go for more than that.
2. To check:
- Front and rear suspension links
- front engine mount
- wheel bearings
- fluid change on the tranny and bevel gear (even though low mileage, age dictates)
- codes from VIDA
- power steering reservoir
- front end suspension (drive backwards over a bump - listen for clunking)
3. Check for cars with the following options that are nice-to-have's or should have's
- HID lights
- third row seat
- integrated booster seats
- cargo cover (should have)
- cargo barrier
- NAV system

Cheers!

brick
01-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys.

As for traction control, how do you know whether the car has it or not? Is it supposed to be a rectangular button below the heat/ac control? One I looked at didn't have it, and the pics of other used cars are hard to tell.

If the car has it, I want to be able to turn it off, which I'm sure you can on XC70.

I'm going to take the advice and keep looking, either for a newer one, or lower price.

Coming from 850/940/240/960, I'm being careful...

Forkster
01-02-2008, 02:50 PM
You are correct - there should be a small rectangular DTSC button just below the A/C controls on the left side of the row of option buttons next to the pen holder.

I'm in Canada where we get the European spec'd model ~ I am not 100% sure on the traction control for US models - but I am probably correct. From MY04 and up, XC70's should have traction + stability control as a standard feature.

Happy hunting! BTW - KBB.com and Autotrader.com are your car search friends. :)

JRL
01-02-2008, 05:45 PM
DSTC was an option until 07 when it became standard.
MOST XC's do not have it.
25k is WAY TOO MUCH for that XC
You should be able to easily find an 06 with say 25K miles and maybe (doubtful) an 07
I would take an 06 over an 04 any day of the week

Forkster
01-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks for clarifying that JRL - DSTC is optional on US models until 07. :)

John@CdnRockies
01-03-2008, 09:14 AM
For the record, DSTC was optional in Canada as well right up to the '07 model year. We had to special order (and pay extra) for DSTC in our '04. There are very few owners who paid for that upgrade (standard from '07 onwards) - althought I am very happy that we did.

I agree that $25k seems high in terms of pricing for that model year.