PDA

View Full Version : Manual vs. VADIS software?

Jimwashington
12-28-2007, 10:31 AM
I am looking to start doing whatever repairs I can on my 01XC with 91,000 miles, myself. I was searching for a good shop manual when I came across some offers for the VADIS software.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I would love to get a copy where I wouldn't have to load any additional software, or set my computer clock back, as some require.

Other than that, can anyone suggest a good repair manual outside of the VADIS system? I can't seem to find anything for an 2001 XC.

alini
12-28-2007, 05:55 PM
I have been using a manual I got from the UK to fix my '01.
IPD sells it too:
http://ipdusa.com/Volvo-V70-2001-2007/Books--Manuals-&-Media/Haynes-Shop-Manuals/p-127-375-1457/
Andre
VT

Neil R
01-02-2008, 08:20 AM
I got a VADIS CD off e-bay here in the UK a couple of years ago - link included for an example of something more recent:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-VADIS-MANUALS-LATEST-VERSION-ON-DVD-ROM-DISKS_W0QQitemZ150201435071QQihZ005QQcategoryZ1843 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It cost about $10 / £5 and has been incredibly useful. The bits I've used most so far are the exploded parts digrams (makes it very easy to understand how things all fit together and then order the right spares), the code diagnostic info, and expecially the fit and remove sections. Some degree of knowledge is assumed for the latter; it's not quite novice territory, but for anyone who has worked on cars before it's good enough. What I've not yet come across is anything like the service / technical bulletins or any info on the available software updates. You also obviously can't also do the bits requiring the car-to-laptop interconnect lead which I suspect would be incredibly useful (for example to get the codes in the first place and reset service lights etc); I must look into that further one day. For the price this was well worth it - and I've not found the date change thingy an issue. (The "instructions" with my disc also told you how to update a certain file so the data change issue is eliminated, but I've not bothered).

Neil

Willy
01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
There is a workaround if you don't like to change the date on your computer once your Vadis release becomes outdated.
If you are interested, let me know and I will post it here (have to look it up, it was a long time ago I "cracked" the system :eek:)
Willy

Jeremy
01-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Willy,
Do tell[thumbup]. I'd like to know the workaround.
Jeremy

Forkster
01-06-2008, 02:48 PM
If you want, I can burn you a copy of my 02 version of VADIS - if you want to pay for the shipping. :)

Willy
01-07-2008, 03:15 AM
Aha, I thought at least someone would be curious :) Mind you, I do think curiosity is one of the better qualities :D
Seriously, the patch is not that difficult, although it took me a while to find exactly what needed to be changed (some 25 install sessions :rolleyes:) The procedure is as follows:

The software refuses to run about six months after the release date, this is the normal period a new version is released.
To keep this from happening, you can change some data so Vadis will run until the year 2023.
To do so, you need to install Vadis to run from HD (see configuration) so you can run the program without inserting the DVD. If Vadis is installed to run from DVD, the files that need need to be changed are not copied to the HD.
The Vadis folder will contain (amongst others) the folders vv120184, vv12022 and vvindex (the figures of the first 2 folders may differ). Each of these folders contains a .ini folder. It is in these .ini folders you will find the file cdinfo.ini - there you have to replace the ValidInfoDate to "2023-09-27"
It is also possible to change the data on the DVD itself. Copy all files to HD, change the data as explained above, then burn a new DVD. If Vadis was already installed, remove it, then reinstall with the new DVD.

For some unknown reason the date can't be set "higher" than 2023, so you will have to resort to changing the system time on your computer from 2024, or buy a new car :D
If the procedure raises more questions than it provides answers, let me know (if is does work, please let me know as well)
Willy

WeenerDog
05-02-2008, 06:13 PM
So, does this still work the recent versions? I can get version 'v6.7.2775' (through 2007) off of ebay for ~$30 shipped, but don't want to run a dedicated computer with date offset for it...