PDA

View Full Version : XC90: using cruise control = transmission message

sqsq
12-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Whenever I use cruise control I get a "TRANSMISSION SERVICE REQUIRED" message and the orange "!" triangle. The “D” in the console changes to just a “-“ and gear changes are very jerky. If I switch to manual + and – gear changes it still works fine.

The message appears intermittently with cruise control, I have not been able to find a pattern that I can replicate. Sometimes I get the message when cancelling cruise control, sometimes when changing speeds with the steering buttons or accelerator pedal, sometimes while just cruising along with no changes. Sometimes it happens shortly after engaging cruise control, sometimes only after using cruise for a long time.

I then have to stop the XC90, turn it off and remove the key. After starting up again everything seems fine no matter how hard I drive, as long as I don’t engage cruise control.

Only way to get rid of the actual transmission message is to have it cleared by my local Volvo mechanic. Happens so often now I don’t even get charged any more…

As a test I drove for a week in fast and slow traffic, long and short trips, flat and inclined roads, hard and gentle driving – all with no transmission message. I used cruise control today and got the message after 10 mins driving.

Any ideas?

Sq.
XC90 2003 D5 SE AWD

brendon11
02-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Maybe the cruise control sensor (there must be one- there are sensors for everything) is faulty. ? Weird issue, but at least you know how to avoid it!