PDA

View Full Version : 2004 XC-70 Door Locks "Possessed"!...!

foxkilo
12-17-2007, 09:11 AM
My doorlocks continously try to UNLOCK themselves after I walk away from the car. I lock it. about 2 minutes later it unlocks. 30 seconds later it unlocks again. and again and again.... Its like my kid is palying with the remote, except he isnt.....

I disconnected the battery to stop the madness, but my wife doesn't have a car untill I correct this....

Thanks
Fred K

Pennhaven
12-17-2007, 12:10 PM
My doorlocks continously try to UNLOCK themselves after I walk away from the car. I lock it. about 2 minutes later it unlocks. 30 seconds later it unlocks again. and again and again.... Its like my kid is palying with the remote, except he isnt.....

I disconnected the battery to stop the madness, but my wife doesn't have a car untill I correct this....
Sounds like an intermittently shorted lock/unlock switch or maybe a short in the remote control receiver. Does it happen all the time, even with the engine running? Sometimes with an internally shorted component, the intermittent problem will come and go as the temperature changes.

To troubleshoot you would probably first want to disconnect the switches in each door (including the key cylinder switch), and if that doesn't eliminate the problem, move on to the remote receiver, and possibly the electronic control module. Unfortunately, I don't have a circuit schematic, so I'm mostly guessing.

BillAileo
12-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Does this continuous unlocking continue to happen if all of the remotes are well out of range of the car? If it doesn't, perhaps it would be a good idea to start the checking with the remotes.

Bill

Willy
12-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Schematics right here: http://www.twango.com/media/Gear-Up.Volvoxc/Gear-Up.10046
Very complete, somewhat complex (or the other way around perhaps :D)
Willy

foxkilo
12-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the 257page PDF file. ITs GREAT. Havent' finished reading it yet....

Again. Problem just started between Friday night and Sunday morning. Pretty certian my remotes aren't the problem but I'll remove the batteries to be sure. Only happens after car is turned off, NOT when running. I'll reconnect the car battery tonight and then try the LOCK/UNLOCK 5 times fast to reset it. Not sure it will work, but it shouldn't hurt.

My wife has an appointment with the dealer onThursday just incase I'm not sucessful.

More to follow... And agian, THANKS...
Fred K

Pennhaven
12-17-2007, 01:55 PM
The fact it does not happen with the car running, makes me think it is more likely a problem with the control module, as opposed to a short in a switch. I hope your reset experiment does the trick.