PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something or what?

edjike
02-28-2002, 11:23 AM
The salting machines came by last night and rock salt is everywhere. A waste of rock salt if you ask me, but I guess with the dry winter they had extra to spare.

My XC's STC kicked in as the slippage begin on the salt when I punched it around a turn.  Ok, Big deal you say......Where the story get interesting is,  according to the Manual, I should have a button to turn STC off.  See page 19 and/or 29.  I have no such button.  I have three dummy buttons and that is it.  

Does anyone have this same set up in their XC's.  Do I have an old Manual?  Please let me know as I am confused!

02' XC almost all the trimmings  

XC TOM
02-28-2002, 01:39 PM
So far there are no XC in US with DSTC.  See this post for more info.

http://www.v70xc.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=1&topic=200

I two have the three blank switches on my 02 XC. One of the blank switches is for a switch which would allow you to turn on and off the motion sensors for alarm. If you purchased that option(motion sensor). I don't have my manual in front of me, but I think I do remember something like your speaking of.  Some of the sales brochure show a DSTC switch also. Have not figured out what third one is for . I saw a picture in accessory brochure that had all three switches shown ,but even with magnifying glass I could not figure out what symbol was supposed to be.  Now that I've started something here maybe some one else will follow up with more expertize.    Tom

edjike
02-28-2002, 01:49 PM
XC Tom,

what is strange is that page 19 of the manual says "This system should be switched off if you, for any reason, temporarity have to drive with tries of different dimensions"

I do not have the alarm and the three buttons are dummies.  So, the question of the day is "how do you shut off STC"?  I know I have it from the indicator light!

Does anyone have an STC button?  Or is it on all the time and it does no need to be shut off?

Your thoughts?

coastal
02-28-2002, 01:54 PM
Volvo's STC is a lesser version of their DSTC, but neither come on the Cross Country yet.

This page is likely referring to the option on a standard V70 2.4T or T5, both of which can be optioned with STC or DSTC.

All three switches on my lower center console are also blank.

edjike
02-28-2002, 02:00 PM
Coastal,

if this is the case, then what is the light that comes on that looks exactly like the light for STC, you know the trangle with the car tilted.  It come on when the car first tstarts up.  Page 27 of the manual as the image?

now I am more confused?

gander
02-28-2002, 02:18 PM
I guess the first question I have is,

" edjike, how do you know that the STC kicked in? Did the warning light on the dash come on? or did you feel the power shift to the rear?"

I have the same '02 xc set up with out the switchs ans I can feel the TRACS shift power to the rear when the front slips. this isn't DSTC. It could be that the symbol on the dash is there on all models whether the DSTC is installed or not.

edjike
02-28-2002, 02:30 PM
Gander,

Maybe I am reading it all wrong, but I assumed the light next to the ABS light that comes on was for STC.  Again, thats what the manual says.  What's else could the light stand for?  My wheel slipped and the light came on.  Even the picture in the manul is the exact same as the one on the dash.

I got the car dec 28th

Any ideas?http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

coastal
02-28-2002, 02:31 PM
My wife's out with the car right now so I'll have to take a closer look when she gets home, but that sounds like the warning light for when traction is marginal?

I don't think I've ever seen it on the XC (for good reason http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif) but have seen it when driving the dealer's S40 loaners and on a standard V70 rental.

edjike
02-28-2002, 02:36 PM
Coastal,  

thanks, let me know. I am way to curious for my own good?  Make sure you look at pages 19, 27 and 29 of the manual 02.  If you do not have it, let me know and I will scan and email if you can provide an address.

ed

coastal
02-28-2002, 02:41 PM
I've got an 01, so haven't got access to the 02 manual, perhaps they are different. That would be good to see the scans if you want to send them to [email protected].

http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

XC TOM
02-28-2002, 11:21 PM
Much of the XC 2002 manual seems as it was put together form a V70 manual. Cut and paste style. The manual does spell out that STC and DSTC are Options. (Page 29.) It also states the STC, DSTC switch would be in position 4 and position 1-3 are not used. What I don't like is there seems to be no reference to the TRACS system anywhere in the manual. I would assume that the dash indicator you saw coming on would be an indication of TRACS working. Your question would be a good question to email to Volvo customer service.

PAGE 104 and 105 are my favorites. Page 104 says "Volvo does not recommend rotating tire". Page 105 says "Failure to rotate tires at recommended intervals will cause uneven wear and may damage the transmission and all-wheel-drive system".   Tom

edjike
03-01-2002, 04:59 AM
XC Tom, glad others are paying attention to the "little things".  The manual has issues.  So, you think it is TRACS that came on?  I do have it on the window sticker.

Anyone, have any good contacts at Volvo?

gander
03-01-2002, 09:58 AM
ejike

I rechecked my manual and see what you are saying, but it still says that STC is an option and it has the switch in the center console.

Is it possible that the manual is outdated and the new STC does not have the switch?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

XC TOM
03-01-2002, 11:31 AM
Here is info from Volvocar.com USA FAQs.

"16. What is TRACS?
TRACS is an anti-spin feature in the C40, C70 and XC, which is active up to 25 mph and uses the ABS system to sense and brake the spinning wheel. "

"17. What is STC?
This is a combination of the low-speed, brake-activating TRACS system in the C70 and XC and the speed-independent, torque-limiting DSA system in the S40. This is available as a standard feature in the S80 2.9 & T-6, S60 (T-5) and V70 (T-5). It is optional on the C70, S60 (2.4 and 2.4T) and V70 (2.4 and 2.4T)."

"18. What is DSTC?
This is a sophisticated STC system which actually works to bring the vehicle back in line if it loses its directional line (e.g., vehicle goes into a skid). This system uses a number of sensors to monitor the speed of all four wheels, steering wheel angle and directional behavior of the car. This is an option on the S80, S60 (2.4T and T-5) and V70 (2.4T and T-5). "

The manual sections on STC and DSTC apply to corresponding models. The XC manual is really a generic V70 manual with a few specific notes added covering the XC.    Tom

gander
03-01-2002, 01:04 PM
So then I take it that when the warning light of the car on a tilted slope comes on it is really indicating that the TRACS system is functioning not that the STC system is functioning.

mikeh
03-01-2002, 09:07 PM
My Manual says that the warning icon that you are seeing is for STC OR DSTC. Then when I look for info on TRACS I don't find it.

What I do find is that the info on STC says:

"The STC system is designed to prevent the driving wheels losing traction on the road surface during acceleration"

It then goes on to say that the "Traction control function" does basically what we think TRACS should do, that is use the ABS capacity to brake wheels that are spinning through lack of traction during acceleration.

Then the Manual goes on to describe the "Stability Function" which "lowers the engine torque when the drive wheels begin to slip". But in a footnote it says "Cars equipped with AWD do not have this feature" (that is the stability control). That makes sense because the AWD system transfers power to other sets of wheels to achieve the same thing.

Thus the XC has the Traction Control piece of STC and calls it TRACS but doesn't have the Stability Control piece of STC, therefore it has no switch to turn it on or off. The light simply tells you that TRACS (Traction Control) is working.

Regards

Mike

Aemsn
03-06-2002, 06:14 AM
Hi!

The warning light for STC/DSTC will light in your console when STC/DSTC switched off.

This light shows you that there is the danger of loosing the stability.

It will not come on when the system works - it is on all the time.

When you have STC/DSTC, a switch should be in position 4 of the switch console.

This is what the german XC manual (also cut and paste from V70) says about this. I was wondering because I thought that 2001 and older models of the XC do not have STC at all.

Ciao
 Armin