PDA

View Full Version : ABS Controller repair by Victor Rocha

kjocque
12-06-2007, 09:05 AM
This posting is in regards to a successful repair done to the ABS Controller unit on my 1999 Volvo V90 staton wagon. We struggled with the symptoms of this problem (multiple trips to the dealership) until Victor Rocha, [email protected] and http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/ rebuilt the unit for us. I highly recommend Victor for the work he did on our ABS controller unit.

First is the email I sent to Victor after he successfully repaired our ABS Controller Unit which fixed the problem that had been plaguing us for months. Following that is the list of symptoms and the repair work done, unsuccessfully, by the dealer to resolve the problem.

Victor,

We are ready to declare victory in the battle with our Volvo’s warning lights.

On Saturday October 13 I installed the ABS Controller unit you repaired for us. From that point on we have not seen any warning lights on the console except the Check Engine light (you had warned us this light would stay lit). The car has run flawlessly.

We even got an unexpected bonus when a few days later the Check Engine light turned off and hasn’t been seen since.

You have been a godsend. My wife likes her car again. She told me, “It wasn’t the car’s fault, it was sick. We just needed to find the right doctor.”

NOTE: Today is December 13 and the car is still running problem-free.

Hello Victor,

I read about the work you do with ABS modules and wonder if you can help me with the problems I’ve been having with my 1999 V70 for the past few months.

The problem began in June just after I had my timing belt replaced. The brake and ABS warning lights began to go on and off and briefly. This would happen randomly, with long periods of problem free driving in between. If I was stopped or in low gear when the warning lights came on the car was (and is) reluctant to shift up, and sluggish off the line.

The symptoms have gradually worsened over the summer. Now, along with the problems described above, off and on I have all the symptoms you describe on your website. These include loss of speedometer, odometer, flashing yellow arrow, check engine light, transmission shift problems, cruise control switching off. All this happens after the brake and ABS lights begin to come on.

The real problem is that the dealership has not gotten any codes related to the ABS module and so are not telling me to replace it. When I took the car in they got codes only for the left front ABS sensor. They first cleaned and reinstalled the sensor and then later replaced it. Both times, this seemed to solve the problems for a while.

The symptoms are so similar to those you describe on your web site. The big difference is that for my car it is always a pairing of Brake and ABS warning light. The tracs light only rarely comes on during the episodes.

Here's an event list of service I've had done on the car:

6-8-07 Timing belt replaced. That evening I saw the first brief flicker of the brake and ABS warning lights both light up.

7-5-07 Problem returns stronger after C.V. boot replacement. Dealer correction – found code for left front ABS sensor. Checked sensor, bolts and exciter ring – all OK cleared code and test drove 20 miles.

7-6-07 Performed software downloads 155 to engine control module and 90K service.

7-17-07 Back in about problem. Sensor ordered. They check about idle fluctuations. They perform diagnostic tests and no ECM codes. They perform throttle cleaning per TNN 25-149A.

8-1-07 Replaced left front ABS sensor. No problem for 500 miles then all the symptoms returned.

JRL
12-07-2007, 09:10 PM
...and this is a forum basically for OTHER brands of cars so your point?
Almost EVERYONE here has rebuilt their ABS module.
We've all been doing this for years, you can also use www.modulemaster.com, save 25 bucks and get the module back FASTER, in 3 days not a week

darag2358
07-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Nice Jim, way to welcome new folks. It's an awfully long post though, glad it worked out for you.

paulcu
06-24-2011, 12:06 PM
We had this problem on our 1998 XC70 4WD Volvo wagon. It was the MAFS (mass air flow sensor). It was a very frustrating, mysterious problem and had mechanics here scratching their heads, but I read online about a mechanic who disconnected his and the problem disappeared---until he reconnected it again. I believe the cost was about $65-70 for the unit and the car has run fine for the past two years since we replaced it.

dandaman606
10-26-2012, 02:29 PM
I decided to have Victor Rocha repair my ABS module based on the positive reviews others have here have had with his service. It was a mistake. I paid Victor to repair my module July 27,2012. after repairs I still got error codes despite all of his troubleshooting suggestions. I returned it to him for further testing Sept. 27, 2012, and despite numerous unanswered emails, and letters, he refuses to send back my unit. I am now forced to buy an replacement OEM unit for over $800. I can't say not to do business with this guy, I'm just relating my experience, and chalk it up to doing business over the internet.

brokes2
12-03-2013, 07:30 AM
I also decided to have victor rocha repair my abs unit from my 99 v70. read the reviews and decided to send it to him. i got it back and it lasted only for a few months. asked him to look at it again. he will not respond to emails or calls. this has cost me over 400 bucks in buying another including the money i sent him. after talking to other volvo members all victor does is solder a weak known connection. if there is a true problem he can not diagnose or repair it. he will keep the unit and not return it to you. please seriously do not send him any abs units. the first repair may work but if there is a true problem you are gonna get ripped off. you have been warned.

JRL
12-05-2013, 04:06 PM
I guess people don't want to take advice from someone who has done at least 20 ABS rebuilds
USE MATT
He's 1/2 the price of the passe Victor and is very communicative with his customers

www.modulemaster.com