PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations on '08 options?

Cape Cod Bound
11-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Our 2002 has expired - looking at a 2008 XC70 OR 2007 A6 Avant ...

What options do you recommend for the 2008 XC - any to avoid?

Previously loved:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i91/AudiAdvocate/IMG_0322.jpg

barrysharp
11-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Hope no one was hurt.... Sad.

BTW - with 2008 the new wagon is now known as a Crossover and not XC70. ;) The XC70 logo is no longer on the rear gate.

For convienience I would highly recommend the Volvo Personal Communicator. With key in pocket or a handbag etc just walk up to the car and it opens either just driver door or all doors (owner configurable). Get into the car and simply press the dash start/stop engine button to start the engine. Very useful IMO and reasonably priced at around $600. Not sure if other goodies included with this $600.

The non leather upholstery is excellent.

The tinted rear glass is done nicely and is dark enough but not to the point you cannot see in when pressing face to the window.

Oyster Grey metallic is an awesome colour.

I don't like the alu rails in the cargo area. I can lots of crud getting buried in the channels and my two small Fox Terriers are likely to get their feet caught up in the channel slots. :(

The battery is now in the engine compartment rather than under the cargo floor.

Seats are less substantial that for the XC70. :( They are comfortable though. :)

I would expect 18" wheels will enhance the looks.

gary
11-30-2007, 08:56 PM
BTW - with 2008 the new wagon is now known as a Crossover and not XC70. ;) The XC70 logo is no longer on the rear gate.

That's interesting Barry. After reading your post I went to the www.volvocars.us website and looked at pictures of the new '08 crossover wagon which is clearly badged as "XC70". It was badged on the left side of the liftgate right underneath the tail light. HHHmmmm....what are Volvo playing at now? :)

barrysharp
11-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Hmmmm - maybe I was looking at an '08 V70. I must admit I did get a bit confused looking at some 20 '08 wagons lined up on the dealership's lot. No matter, I plan on taking one of the '08 XC70/Crossover on a test drive tomorrow. I'm now intrigued. ;)

barrysharp
11-30-2007, 09:03 PM
That's interesting Barry. After reading your post I went to the www.volvocars.us website and looked at pictures of the new '08 crossover wagon which is clearly badged as "XC70". It was badged on the left side of the liftgate right underneath the tail light. HHHmmmm....what are Volvo playing at now? :)

Just checked your URL ref and you're absolutely correct. My mistake - SORReeeeeeeeeeee :(

Cape Cod Bound
12-02-2007, 09:51 AM
In Germany 2 weeks ago and I quite like the look. 95% of cars have no badging save for the make.

The 2008 XC has a nice broad V O L V O across the tail but still the XC70 on the left and really goofy 2.3 & AWD on the right (that has to go).

We test drove last night against an Audi A6 Avant - nice car but a big highway cruiser only ... and not as many bells and whistles as the XC.

Good call on the Personal communicator - expensive but handy. Will try to max out on accessories/options based on colours on the lot.

Loved everything except the lack of grunt - the turbo had a much better pull off the line - this V6 really sounds strained...

Off to negotiate - will let you know how she goes - dealers are hungry here in Toronto.

barrysharp
12-02-2007, 09:59 AM
...snip....

Loved everything except the lack of grunt - the turbo had a much better pull off the line - this V6 really sounds strained...

Off to negotiate - will let you know how she goes - dealers are hungry here in Toronto.

It's not a V6. It's a transverse inline 6-cyl. Rumor has it that late in 2008 it might come with the 6-cyl T6 twin-scroll turbo engine as will the new V70.

Cape Cod Bound
12-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Or in true North American fashion --- a V8!

In-line makes sense - never checked under the hood...

Thanks for the info!

budrichard
12-03-2007, 07:12 AM
If no one in your vehicle was hurt, then your Volvo did its job!
Let us know what you purchase and what is the comparison to your old XC particularly gas mileage.
Out side of safety, the most attractive feature of full size Volvo's has been the comfortable seats. With the heat on ,after 200 miles my back feels better than when I get in the car!
I am going to have to get an 08XC for a weekend to make a comparison.-Dick