PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Moves into HD Radio™ Revolution – Big Time

AWD*V70XC
11-28-2007, 01:47 PM
http://www.hdradio.com/i/Volvo.jpg (http://www.volvocars.com/)
Announced today at the Boston International Auto Show, Volvo will be the first automotive manufactures in the U.S. to offer innovative digital HD Radio technology on almost all models. Equipped with the HD Radio system, Volvo owners will enjoy a higher-quality AM/FM radio system that features more channel choices, crystal-clear sound and new data services. Volvo Cars of North America, LLC will be offering factory installed HD Radio receivers as standard and optional equipment.
“We believe Volvo will have the largest standard equipped HD Radio technology fleet in the world. Our drivers expect the highest quality in every aspect of their vehicles,” Dirk Bott, Vice President Brand, Business & Product, Volvo Cars of North America, LLC. “Adding HD Radio capability to our S40 T5, V50 T5, C30, C70, S80, V70, XC70 and XC90 models truly makes our audio systems state of the art, giving Volvo drivers an even more enjoyable driving experience." Introduction is scheduled for Fall of 2008.
HD Radio technology is the most significant advancement in radio broadcasting since the introduction of FM stereo. Across the United States, more than 1,500 AM and FM stations are broadcasting using HD Radio technology and more than 700 are offering subscription-free HD2 multicast channels on the FM dial. These channels feature fresh new music and news formats, showcase young artists and local bands, as well as air non-English language programming and more.
HD Radio broadcasters also offer valuable information that appears on the HD Radio receivers’ display screen, such as song title and artist, traffic and weather updates, news, school closings and other emergency alerts. In addition, there are no fees or costs associated with this information. For a complete list of HD Radio stations currently broadcastings in the United States, please visit www.hdradio.com (http://www.hdradio.com/).
An innovative technology that allows broadcasters to offer digital services in addition to analog signals while remaining in their existing frequencies, the HD Radio system is being or has been tested in many countries throughout the world, including Argentina, Australia, Bosnia, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Poland, Switzerland, Thailand and Ukraine.

budrichard
11-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Except for Traffic & Weather, I keep the radio OFF and try to survive!-Dick

RedXC
11-29-2007, 08:10 PM
HA! Is a great idea but most radio stations are not in HD. But for the older models you can just buy a aftermarket HD radio ready (built in) deck.

skibo
12-11-2007, 05:50 AM
...but most radio stations are not in HD....

Maybe most aren't, but a lot are. I was surprised when I followed the link in the initial post. In Pennsylvania, there are 65 HD stations - (of course, none in my backward corner of the state) but it looks to me like most of the stations in Philly, Pittsburgh, Allentown and Scranton are HD, and a few along the southern edge (Harrisburg and York) - that probably covers the vast majority of our population.

tenmiler
12-14-2007, 11:20 PM
wish they'd announce the T6 engine or a diesel instead of this crap.