PDA

View Full Version : Tranny flush in '04 2.5 XC90

millinocket rocket
11-26-2007, 04:01 AM
We've just purchased an '04 XC90 with the 2.5 engine and it has about 40,000 miles on it and we really love it so far-- we upgraded from a '98 XC70. I read into flushing the tranny on the xc70 on one of these sites and ended up doing it myself-- which turned out to be pretty easy-- and made a huge difference in trans. performance. I would like to do the same thing to the 90 since I highly doubt it's ever been flushed yet. Ya, I know it may be a little early, but I'd really like to get the original fluid out-- guaranteed it's dirty. Does anyone know if I can do this flush the same way as I did the xc70 (by pumping out and replacing two quarts at a time, and if so, where do I hook the drain hose up to? Not sure on where the outlet would be on this one. Actually, I haven't even found the dipstick/ fill tube yet. Also, is it true I need to use 3309 ATF?? Any help much appreciated.

millinocket rocket
11-27-2007, 06:44 AM
Anyone???

skibo
11-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Here is a method many on the XC70 forum many have used successfully - should apply to XC90 as well, I'd guess.:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5668&highlight=gibbons+method

BillAileo
11-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Which transmission does your XC90 have?

PierreC
11-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Also, is it true I need to use 3309 ATF?? Any help much appreciated.

m-r I faced a similar question recently when I need to do a tranny flush on my XC70. The Volvo ATF is exorbitantly priced, and Mobil doesn't sell their 3309 in South Africa. It was also before the possibility of the Castrol Import Multi ... whatever [see other threads] was "discovered" ... so I settled for Toyota T-IV ATF. This is the ATF specified for the Lexus and some Toyota models which also uses a variant of the Aisin-Warner transmission - in fact, Toyota own a major share in Aisin-Warner.

To summarise, DON'T use "normal" (Dexron type) ATF - your choice is limited to
The Volvo ATF (expensive)
Mobil 3309
Castrol Import Multi ...
Toyota T-IV

Good luck - the Gibbons method works well. I pumped through 16.1 liters of new ATF using this method and it made fantastic difference to the smooth shifting ... and, I hope, the life of the transmission.

millinocket rocket
11-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the help guys-- that's the method I used with my xc70 except the drain hose was connected to the line instead of the radiator. Now that I see that green clip it looks the same as the xc90. Great info, and I will look for thse types of oil. I have looked a couple of times with a flashlight to try and find the dipstick tube with no luck-- does anyone know exactly where this is on the 90, or better yet-- a picture? Thanks again