PDA

View Full Version : My letter to Volvo USA.

travelkids
11-25-2007, 08:00 PM
MPG worries with your line up.

Hi,

I love my 2002 Volvo XC 70 that we pickup in Sweden. I have been excited to pick up its replacement someday in the future. However, I can't stomach your new models coming out with more power and worse gas mileage. If I buy another car it will need to be reaching a minimum of 35mpg combined driving. It certainly looks like Volvo USA is somewhat lost in their direction providing more power, less gas mileage all with Premium gas required! I was happy with the power you delivered to me in my 02 XC, but later models became faster and less fuel efficient.

It might not be profitable to offer several engines for each model, but you need to redirect your efforts here in the USA as you are in Europe and bring this customer more fuel efficient cars to choose from.

I hope you offer better fuel efficient choices in the near future, otherwise you may lose this first time customer as fast as you earned him.

Regards

gary
11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Did you get a response? Worth sharing here?

budrichard
11-27-2007, 09:23 AM
I supplied the same sort of information through the Volvo Website for Feedback and never heard a thing. Not really surprising. Why waste your time with a Customer you can't satisfy?
A Volvo XC will NOT be my next vehicle.-Dick

travelkids
11-27-2007, 11:04 AM
I received my response promptly. However, it was the standard scripted response that states absolutely nothing.

"Thank you for contacting Volvo and for taking the time to write to us. Your comments and concerns are very important to us. They will be passed on to Product Development.:confused: Volvo will continue to work on developing more and more fuel efficient cars not just to meet the statutory requirements, but also because our customers demand them.:rolleyes: If you have questions or need more information on our new models, please call the Volvo Personal Shopper at 1-800-550-5658 from 9 am to 6 pm ET, Monday through Friday."

I couldn't help myself, so I had to mouth off in my response. :p

"Volvo will continue to work on developing more and more fuel efficient cars not just to meet the statutory requirements, but also because our customers demand them"

Your XC70 has been develop to have less and less fuel efficiency from 2002-2008. Thanks for the "Canned" response, I guess I didn't expect much more. If you look at your European line-up you already have the potential to deliver better MPG, not sure why you decide to not offer those exisiting models here in the USA.

Time to look at other brands.

Thank you

[cussing]

What do most of you think? Are you okay with Volvo's MPG? Am I being too hard on Volvo? Their competition BMW xi wagon's, Audi, Mercedes, Saab are all getting similiar MPG.

What do you all think??????

curtis
11-27-2007, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't say that I am dissapointed with volvo's fuel millage, I mean lets not kid ourselves. We knew their aproximate fuel consumption before we baught the cars! and if we wern't happy with the numbers we shouldn't have bought them.
Ive owned toyota's that were brilliant when it came to fuel consumption, And reliability. But they wern't luxurious, didn't handle as well, and mostly wern't as Safe as a volvo. I am a paramedic and have seen many motor vehicle accidents.. I won't sacrifice the safety of my family to save a few $!!!!
However I do believe volvo could do better with their avg MPG. Like others have said why don't we have diesel XC'S in north america. BUt take into consideration our XC'S are very heavy for midsize cars, and you get what you pay for. And when you buy a volvo you pay for safety. You buy a SMART car you save money on fuel. It's simply a matter of priorities.

gary
11-27-2007, 04:01 PM
I have to admit that MPG isn't a big criteria for me. It never has been with any car I've had...although I can see that as I spend more of my $$$ on gas (and more of my $$$ on electricity for my home and groceries for my kids, etc, etc....) it is becoming a criteria that I am increasingly starting to pay attention to. Will it be a deciding factor in future purposes? Probably not.

Can Volvo do better? I think so.
Should Volvo do better? I think so.

I don't believe it's unrealistic for the consumer to demand better from a car company, whether that be Volvo, BMW, Audi..... At the end of the day, Volvo will listen to the majority of their consumers and make adjustments or those consumers will look elsewhere. And if enough consumers bypass the Volvo lineup, changes usually start to happen.....

travelkids
11-27-2007, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't say that I am dissapointed with volvo's fuel millage, I mean lets not kid ourselves. We knew their aproximate fuel consumption before we baught the cars! and if we wern't happy with the numbers we shouldn't have bought them.
Ive owned toyota's that were brilliant when it came to fuel consumption, And reliability. But they wern't luxurious, didn't handle as well, and mostly wern't as Safe as a volvo. I am a paramedic and have seen many motor vehicle accidents.. I won't sacrifice the safety of my family to save a few $!!!!
However I do believe volvo could do better with their avg MPG. Like others have said why don't we have diesel XC'S in north america. BUt take into consideration our XC'S are very heavy for midsize cars, and you get what you pay for. And when you buy a volvo you pay for safety. You buy a SMART car you save money on fuel. It's simply a matter of priorities.

I must agree with you that safety is priority number one. I don't think many people would disagree with you there, but let me refer to the fact that from '02 to '08 the power as improved at the expense of fuel economy. My 02's power is just fine, why make a family wagon faster and faster?!?!

If you have time pick up a "Top Gear" magazine at an international stand, check out the back. It lists all models and combined Mpg. It is unbelievable!!

I must say that instead of improving performance from 02 to 08 models, maybe they should of used that technology to improve Mpg.

I must say in 02 25mpg was looking pretty good, gas being 1.74 a gallon, but now it is double and an 08 is getting no better!!!

travelkids
11-27-2007, 04:38 PM
And if enough consumers bypass the Volvo lineup, changes usually start to happen.....

Honestly, I hope Volvo doesn't fall in the trap of being reactionary in customer wants as the US auto industry has mastered!

I hope they are proactive and act sooner than later. I would hate for them to lose some of their customer base before they act. I think over the last 7 years they have come along way in the USA regaining customers.

I am just concerned when I see them bring a new car that being the 08 xc70 with the worst mileage of that line up in recent years. Turbo gone, normally aspirated Premium gas drinker!

I don't see ever people abandoning their thirsty SUVs, so MPG it is obviously a concern for many Americans, but IMO I think the trend is starting to change, best to be ahead of the trend than playing catch up.

budrichard
11-28-2007, 07:48 AM
We have owned Volvo's from 1987. the 1987 740 GLE was chosen in the non-turbo version to avoid having to replace the turbo later in life. WE still have it at about 290K miles. It is slow to about 50mph where the power comes on and good enough. It gets about 26 around town. The 1999 XC gets about 24 and the 2003 XC about 22. The 2003 Xc at a steady 70 mpg can get about 27 mpg.
Each succeeding generation of Volvo has decreased the gas mileage and the 08XC is the proverbial 'Last Straw'. I have stated my belief that Volvo is presently making decisions based alomst solely on marketing and cost. No Turbo, different engine, save money. Its as simple as that. Volvo used to design vehicles for Swedes who want things to last, as pointed out to me by Ben and his wife, who had come here from Sweden and ran an independant Volvo shop. Not sure what's going on in Sweden today but I can assure you that the Ford influence is in place.
Anyway, vehicle manufacturers have made large strides in safety which is the area that attracted us to Volvo originally. There are many other good vehicles out there today and I for one will not reward a compnay that does not meet my needs and refuses to listen!-Dick

philosophicaldreamer
12-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Volvo used to design vehicles for Swedes who want things to last, as pointed out to me by Ben and his wife, who had come here from Sweden and ran an independant Volvo shop. Not sure what's going on in Sweden today but I can assure you that the Ford influence is in place.

I do agree with you about MPG. Volvo should do much better in this regard. Sticking an eight-cylinder engine into new Volvos is somewhat silly to me:rolleyes: As far as the longevity and reliability of Volvos go, the reliability research on new Volvos matches exactly the reliability of previous generations. If you look at Consumer Reports from previous years, you will see that old Volvos were no more reliable than the newer generations. As a matter of fact, I remember people who owned 240 Volvos complaing that the platic dash and other accouterments in those cars were cheaply made and had tendcy to crack or break off. The newer Volvos rarely have these problems. It is an urban myth that old Volvos were trouble-free. My XC is definitely less troublesome than our 240 or 960 or S90 were. What Volvo should really do, however, is to attend to the quality of service that its dealerships provide.

Ta-ta, j.

travelkids
05-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Just a little update FWIW!?!! I needed a commuter car for my wife. I really liked the looks of the C30, but didn't even bother going to the dealership to see it in person or test drive it. Bought a low mileage used MINI Clubman!!! All because of the MPG.

Getting 38mpg hwy, 35mpg combined.......normal unleaded;-)

Sorry Volvo! But, I will keep enjoying my XC70 '02 until it needs replacing, hopefully by that time you decide it best to increase your fuel economy through-out your range!!

goldxc70
05-26-2008, 11:16 AM
I think your concerns about MPG are misplaced and will be ignored by Volvo. Volvo have deliberately pitched their vehicles as prestige automobiles (similar to MB, BMW, Saab, Lexus, Infiniti). To compare the MPG of a Volvo to that of any Toyota is comparing apples to oranges. Also, we all know that Volvo's are heavy vehicles. This takes a heavy tool on MPG. The diesel issue is different: most of the car companies (VW and MB are exceptions) seem to think that North American consumers would not accept diesel and, as a result, they do not market many models with diesel engines on this side of the Atlantic. Also, NA diesel was inferior in quality to European diesel and was dirty and smelly. MY09 will change that situation with new diesel engines and cleaner diesel being brought to market. My next vehicle will be diesel or electric.

tgrumaj
06-04-2008, 12:42 PM
For me I am concerned that Volvo is not listening to the consumer about better gas milage. Lexus makes an SUV that is just as heavy (or more) and has more lux features but gets better gas milage then the 08xc. Volvo needs to offer options (6cyl engine, Hybrid engine). I don't want to be told I have to have a hybrid but I do want options and better milage is one of the things I"m interested in my next car.....I did know what I was getting into (but was buying when gas was 1.80 a gallon, not the 4.39 it currently is in CT.

When I consider my next car (and I do love my XC and would like another)....milage will be a huge consideration. I look at safe, lux cars but will put better milage as a solid point of consideration. There's no resason for Volvo to be moving backwards in that area as they have with the 08....they can deliver both if they wanted to and more importantly is the ability to deliver options. In the end thier sales will tell the story if thier strategy is right or not...I'm betting it isn't.

travelkids
06-11-2008, 06:36 PM
I think you have confused the issue. A C30 should be getting much better gas mileage. A c30 a prestige auto?!?!?! Come on, who are you kidding!!! Let's be straight forward, Volvo is really not a prestigious car, it is a "want to be"! BMW/MB/lexus/Audi. are prestige autos, Saab/Volvo just fill the nitch above a VW.

Volvo's attempt with a smaller car such as the C30 should of at least had MPG as a selling point, btw how is the C30 selling??! Not so well.

I like volvos and the volvo c30, but my real prestigious car, a 06 porsche gets better gas mileage!

Enjoy your new Diesel, with the cost of diesel being as high as it is you won't be saving a penny and if you go hybrid, well that is a whole other topic;-)

Plus, who said anything about a Toyota?

I think your concerns about MPG are misplaced and will be ignored by Volvo. Volvo have deliberately pitched their vehicles as prestige automobiles (similar to MB, BMW, Saab, Lexus, Infiniti). To compare the MPG of a Volvo to that of any Toyota is comparing apples to oranges. Also, we all know that Volvo's are heavy vehicles. This takes a heavy tool on MPG. The diesel issue is different: most of the car companies (VW and MB are exceptions) seem to think that North American consumers would not accept diesel and, as a result, they do not market many models with diesel engines on this side of the Atlantic. Also, NA diesel was inferior in quality to European diesel and was dirty and smelly. MY09 will change that situation with new diesel engines and cleaner diesel being brought to market. My next vehicle will be diesel or electric.

dodgyken
07-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Not an XC owner - but this got my attention while googling for something else.

I have a MY08 V70 D5 - registered date 09-2007 - I collected in 03-2008. It has now done 10000km - 1500km as of collection date.

My first trip across europe was returning around 29mpg (@ 85-90mph on the cruise). This edges up over the next 2 runs to around 31mpg.

After a heavy towing session (my trailer and race car comes in around 1800KG) the non-towing economy dipped heavily - around 16mpg (this matched by old 760 GLE). A trip to the dealer and they diagnosed a couple of high oxygen values causing overfueling. The latest Volvo map. A gentle cruise to Le Mans and then to Zurich returned 35mpg (@75mph on the cruise).

A few weeks back I had the car remapped by the Swiss Heico Sportiv importer. The motorway cruise back (@ 75mph) returned 41mpg - and has averaged 36.5mpg with mixed driving ever since. The remap takes the engine to 210PS and 460NM.

The economy is still 10% down on Volvos figures, but I live in a mountainous country and manufacturer figures are always optimistic.

HOWEVER.......

If you compare Volvo performance and economy to BMW it is very poor - partly because of efficient dynamics, and partly because of the constricted nature of the D5 unit. The EURO IV unit is less efficient that the EURO III unit - and with the D5 now coming in at 1800KG it is hardly a light vehicle.

Putting it in persepective - you have an 1800KG car being hauled around by an 185PS engine.

Would I buy a D5 based on economy? Nope
Would I buy a V70 based on the cabin, the seats, and the overall package? Yes

I believe every car is a compromise - currently with Volvo you sacrifice class leading handling and economy for class leading cabins, quality materials and superb seats. A friend commented how much nicer the Volvo cabin - especially the quality of the leather - was than his Touraeg.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/dodgyken/Volvo%20D5/DSC_0174.jpg

dragonfly
07-14-2008, 06:55 PM
I no longer need to be first in an intersection
I no longer need to be at a destination 10 minutes earlier..
I live in Florida... drivers are NUTS so conservative wins...

posted speed MAXIMUM on interstate is 70 mph... i drive about 65 cruise control with 2500 miles on the engine and I am constantly getting 26.5-27.5mpg

As I said I do not have to be first any longer... I am getting far better then Volvo sticker offered (22)...
Funny thing is the car was just in for a repair for a week. they rented a mercury sable for me... it felt ok.. got me there ... mileage was about the same on the highway... slightly better around town..

BUT driving home in the xc70 from the dealer when it was repaired convinces me I will own one as long as there is nothing else safer out there.. The weight and comfort meets my needs.... I use an f350 turbo diesel for towing the horse around...

if you want fast buy a fast car
if you want better mileage buy a smaller car...

Volvo is hearting in the sales department... but I at the moment am a strong believer and would buy another one in a minute if I was in the market...

YMMV

No(r)way
08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
But remember the price for fuel (diesel/gasoline) here in Europe, here in Norway we pay about 10.5 $ pr gallon ca 3$ pr litre. And a brand new XC70 here costs from 140.000$ :eek: We are a fu.. up little rich oil country with a goverment who wants to take all our money, extreme taxes on fuel, cars and everything thats fun:mad: I think maybe thats why car makers deliver cars with rubberband engines here in europe and real engines in US. I have never seen a XC90 V8 in Norway, maybe its because it costs around 280.000$ here :confused:

Fredrik
08-26-2008, 06:10 AM
I get about 24.5 MPG (combined driving) with my 2006 XC70 (2.5T engine) and I'm happy with that despite living in Sweden where $7.85 per gallon is considered a bargain. Here's why:

* My car weighs in at 1.9 tons.
* It has a big turbocharged engine with 210hp output.
* It comes with a Haldex AWD system.
* It has an Geartronic automatic transmission (standard only in America).

All of the above are attributes that increase the fuel consumption and lower the mileage, but at the same time these very same attributes make the top 10 list of the ones that I value the most with my XC70. The weight makes my car safe for me and my family. The engine adds comfortable driving (fast acceleration and lower RPMs) at higher speeds, which combined with the weight provides the very stuff that increase our chances of walking away from a car crash: linear momentum (mass * speed). The Haldex system gets us there and back again when few other cars won't. And who can live without automatic transmission?

All this in a Volvo at 24.5 MPG?! It's a done deal...

If/when I replace this car I will, if I can, buy another XC70 but opt for a diesel engine, as these:

+ Are more fuel efficient
+ Provide impressive torque
+ Have reached acceptable accelerations
+ Give same speeds at lower RPMs (nice for long trips)
+ Are more robust and reliable
- Are more expensive to buy and to maintain

Jake529
08-26-2008, 09:44 AM
My wife and I have owned a number of Volvo's. She will not drive anything else.... Her MY04 S60 gets 30mpg on the highway. Non Turbo. Her late s70 non turbo also got about 28MPG... NOT BAD FOR A BIG HEAVY CAR.... My MY 98 V70 non turbo front wheel drive gets about 28mpg....

Jake
1998 Volvo V70
2004 S60
and a bunch of old GM and Mopar stuff.......

73 Caddy Coupe DeVille
82 Chevy El Camino
77 Plymouth Gran Fury BLUES MOBILE
01 Mercury Grand Marquis
02 Mercury Grand Marquis
99 Ford F-150
99 Harley Davidson Road King
82 Yamaha Maxim 550
ONE BIG ASS Frisien Horse Named Hary