PDA

View Full Version : 1998 XC tire pressure

Benny
11-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Hi all,

I just joined. I've found a lot of useful information here over the last few days. I just bought my second 98' XC, the first one I gave to my sister.

I know the gas cap says 32/33 psi for front/rear but has anyone run higher pressure to get more mileage out of them? I remember on my other Volvo at the 32/33 psi the tire wear seemed to go a little too fast. Even some Toyo's and crappy Bridgestone RE92's worn too soon. I've got decent tires, Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring (nothing like the Bridgestone 960 Pole Positions on my sisters though!).

Thanks,

Ben

JRL
11-20-2007, 04:07 PM
I always run that approx. tire pressure with no ill tire wear
You can run more like 36-37 and MAYBE get a mile more per gallon at the expense of a lot of rattles

Benny
11-20-2007, 04:19 PM
I guess it is not really worth the rattles then. Trying to get the most mpg with today's high fuel costs. Thanks for the response.

srs
11-20-2007, 06:46 PM
I have always run 36/41 psi front/rear...but I prefer the firmer ride. I even have a few suspension upgrades to stiffen it up more (with no rattles). The car averages 19mpg city and 25mpg expressway. I have no idea if the tire pressure makes much difference. I think driving style affects it more.

However, even a one mpg improvement is a 5% improvement if you now average 20mpg. At $3.00/gallon that 5% improvement translates to $2.85/gallon, or about $112.00/year savings if you drive 15,000mi/yr. Of course, the more you drive and the higher the gas/gallon, the more you save.
More importantly, Persian Gulf countries supply 10.3% of our domestic product so that 5% would cut that dependence almost in half.

My suggestion is to try the higher tire pressure. Every little bit helps. If the ride is too harsh it can be undone but try it again in the summer when the warm weather will soften up the ride more.