PDA

View Full Version : Nokians in where it doesn't snow... ***

NoSnowHere
11-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I live in Florida and drive a 2002 Volve XC70.

I bought the car used, and the Perrellis had seen better days...

I mean they were BALD!!! (I couldn't believe that a car that was only five years old had BALD tires.) Heck, my GMC half-ton VAN (pulling a trailer) had better tire wear.

So, I knew that I had to find somethign else. After reading the posts here, abotu the Nokians, I was sold.

So, I went to the Nokian website to find my nearest dealer. I live in St. Petersburg, FL, and the nearlest dealer was in Sarasota (about 50 miles away.)

I called these jokers THREE times across THREE WEEKS trying to get them to quote me a price and order the tires. They failed time after time to get them. On the third call, they said, "we can only get what our local supplier stocks. We can't special-order. And, our local suppier doesn't stock Winter tires."

As it turns out, their "local suppier" (wholesaler) was in Daytona Beach area (which the website lists as the next-closet retailer, too.) So, I called these folks.

These guys (Treadmill Tire Wholesalers) were GREAT!!!

First, they stock all kinds of tires. But, they spoke HIGEST about the Nokians! The owner actualy answered the phone, and he was tellng me about the Nokians that are on the delviery trucks from Canada. He went on and on about their all-weather and all-condition quality. (I was already sold on them from this forum, but it was reassuring to hear his support as well.)

As suggested here, I bought the slightly larger-grade 235 series tires (four of them.) As quickly as I could tell them what I was looking for, they ORDERED MY TIRES -- and had them FedEx delivered to my house!!! Heck, they had my new tires at my door before they had my check! Talk about SERVICE!!!!

I took the tires to my local Sears Auto Service Center, and they installed them, balanced them (with the weights inside and out of sight,) performed a four-wheel computerized alignment, and included a road hazzard warranty!

Oh, AND the Nokian wholesaler told me to KEEP MY RECEIPT -- becasue the Nokian warranty (unlike other manufacturers) covers the tires from manufacturers defects WITHOUT pro-rating! (e.g. other manufacturers wil pro-rate the life of the tires and only give you a pro-rated credit. Whereas the Nokian manufacturere will send you a completely NEW TIRE if it fails dur to manufacturer's defact -- such as a belt spearation.) Try to get THAT from Perelli or Michellin. ;-)

Bottom line: This forum ROCKS for advice on your Volvo XC70! I have since bought new bulps for my high and low beams (based on recommendations herein.) Shop around, and SHARE your experiences -- we ALL benefit from it.

The tires: They are just as SMOOTH and GREAT as I read herein. And, they look FABULOUS! A mechanic friend of mine made an unsolicited comment about them, too. "Those tires look good on your car. What are they?"

It's cooler "Winter" here in Florida, so I expect "normal" wear on them. But, I will post an update when the Summer temps heat up, and let everyone know if they hold true to their warm weather reputation (or not.)

NoSnowHere. (Yet, I drive an AWD Volvo XC70 because they are kewl and have such great lines/looks.) :-)

Happy as can be....