PDA

View Full Version : Should I bother switching to synthetic oil?

rhauptschein
11-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Should I bother switching to synthetic oil? I'm at 65K miles without any history of significant problems to date, and no oil leaking at all, and I'm post my big 60K service. My new independent Volvo service place recommended that I make the switch at my first appointment. Cost-wise, synthetic will pay for itself in at least less than 2 years with less frequent changes, and in the longterm, it is better for the engine. On the other hand, if it aint broke, don't fix it. I don't want any potential oil leaks to rear its head by doing the switch. My last independent service guy did not push for the change at all and all is fine. I switched service guys because I moved.

Related, is synthetic oil better for more highway or more local driving? Is synthetic oil better for hot or cold climates? Or doesn't matter for either question.

Thanks in advance.

philosophicaldreamer
11-13-2007, 09:43 PM
I switched to synthetic at 30K miles and had no problems. My wife switched to synthetic at 60K miles and had no problems either. If your car has no problems, synthetic oil won't create them.

Ta-ta, j.

curtis
11-14-2007, 05:35 AM
Hello there, In the past 3 years Ive been running synthetic and conventional. I usually run synthetic but if something has came up financially and I want to save a little bit of money i'll run conventional. THe engine doesn't mind, doesn't leak. 466 000 kms!!!!
I usto go to Mr Lube before I had a garage to change my own fluids, they offer a synthetic/conventional blend of oil which is in the middle cost wise. I think this is substantial enough info to confirm that the "theory" that you can't switch back and forth between the two is a Myth. However the synthetic maintains viscosity levels longer then conventional. Just my opinion.

Curtis
2001 XC
1994 850 T5

tgwillard
11-14-2007, 08:51 AM
When you say switching will save you money by requiring less frequent oil changes, I don't know if this is true. Under normal conditons as opposed to severe conditions my manual recommends a 7.5K interval. Nothing is said about synthetic extending that interval. I would keep to the recommended 7.5K interval even with synthetic oil.

That said I use synthetic in both Volvos and do so every 7.5K. I like the fact that in cold weather it allows the engine to turn over more easily and I think that the synthetic would better lubricate after you first start the engine in cold weather. By cold I mean below about 15 degrees fahrenheit.

Now if you are dealing with severe conditions ( short trips, lot of idling, dust, etc.) you would want to change the oil more often whether or not it is synthetic.

blkdiamond
11-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Here is a great article on synthetic vs. conventional oil: http://www.dirtroadmagazine.com/oil2.htm

Basically it comes down to temperature. Synthetics have a greater temperature range over conventional (easier cold starts, less break-down at high temperatures).

Bottom line is if you live in a climate where it's really hot, really cold or you tend to drive your vehicle pretty hard, synthetic oil will be better for your engine.

Personally, I have always run Amsoil Synthetic in my vehicles without any issues.

rhauptschein
11-14-2007, 08:26 PM
When you say switching will save you money by requiring less frequent oil changes, I don't know if this is true. Under normal conditons as opposed to severe conditions my manual recommends a 7.5K interval. Nothing is said about synthetic extending that interval. I would keep to the recommended 7.5K interval even with synthetic oil.

That said I use synthetic in both Volvos and do so every 7.5K. I like the fact that in cold weather it allows the engine to turn over more easily and I think that the synthetic would better lubricate after you first start the engine in cold weather. By cold I mean below about 15 degrees fahrenheit.

Now if you are dealing with severe conditions ( short trips, lot of idling, dust, etc.) you would want to change the oil more often whether or not it is synthetic.

Well, for Dino oil, I believe the Volvo manual says 3.7K, though my service guys seem to be saying 3.0K. For synthetic, one guy said 5K and you are saying 7.5K, so either way it are less frequent changes with synthetic. I don't know what the owner's manual says for synthetic change intervals?

rhauptschein
11-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Any difference in highway vs. local city driving ?

MoeB
11-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Well, for Dino oil, I believe the Volvo manual says 3.7K, though my service guys seem to be saying 3.0K. For synthetic, one guy said 5K and you are saying 7.5K, so either way it are less frequent changes with synthetic. I don't know what the owner's manual says for synthetic change intervals?

Page 129 of the 2001 manual (http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2001/2001_XC/01xc_08b.htm#pg129) specifies a 7500 mile (12000 km) oil change interval and makes no distinction between dino and synth OCI. Nothing wrong with a shorter OCI, of course. Personally, I use 3750 mile OCIs when running dino (I use Castrol GTX) because the car sees a lot of city driving and frequent short trips, and the shorter OCI keeps the engine cleaner. Currently I'm running Castrol Syntec and using 7500 mile OCIs. An oil analysis after a 7500 mile run on the Syntec showed a 1% fuel dilution, likely due to city driving, but the oil still had plenty of life left.

I use synthetic when I can get it on sale, but if I can't then dino does just fine. The synth doesn't really save me any money since I change my own oil, but the reduced oil changes are worth the little extra it costs.