PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel alignment

PierreC
11-10-2007, 05:55 AM
The tyre dealer who fitted my new Michelin Latitudes this morning advised me that the left rear wheel CAMBER is out of spec (-0 deg 57 min vs. spec of -0 deg 42 min to 1 deg 18 min) but that he could not fix it because rear wheel camber cannot be adjusted.

Is this true? Its not way out, but I am warned that the inside of the tyre will wear faster than the rest.

JRL
11-10-2007, 07:25 AM
The tyre dealer who fitted my new Michelin Latitudes this morning advised me that the left rear wheel CAMBER is out of spec (-0 deg 57 min vs. spec of -0 deg 42 min to 1 deg 18 min) but that he could not fix it because rear wheel camber cannot be adjusted.

Is this true? Its not way out, but I am warned that the inside of the tyre will wear faster than the rest.

NO Volvo has equal spec rear camber.
Is that one wheel out of spec or just off from the other?
That is important
In US terms your camber should lie beween -0.8 to-.1.1 degrees or so.
Any rear camber up to -1.3 is OK and your tire should be fine, any more than that you need someone who can get it back in spec.

We know how to do this. We loosen everything including subframe bolts, then two people wrestle the rear end around to get it back to spec.
On a stock (not lowered Volvo) this usually works, but this is not "in the books"
It needs to be done by a tech who's a bit "creative".
Most of mine are lowered so we found this out to get most of them back to high spec or close to.
If you're unable to get it back to spec, the best thing you can do (and it's always a good idea anyway) is to rotate the tires at between 4 to 7500 miles, that way the excessive rear tire wear will go to the front and become OK again after a few thousand miles.
If you're not satisfied with that answer, IPD just came out with an adjustable rear control arm bushing that allows the rear camber to be adjusted up to one (1) degree which will easily put you back into spec.
It still requires a couple of hours labor to install these plus another alignment and should be the last resort on an XC

PierreC
11-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the info JRL

It is only the left wheel that is out of spec, trnaslated to US terms, about -1 degree as opposed to the maximum of -0.8 degrees.

I will do the wheel rotation and monitor it - if it gets worse, I may have to do the subframe wrestle of investigate the IPD adjustable bushing.

Thanks again!

JRL
11-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info JRL

It is only the left wheel that is out of spec, trnaslated to US terms, about -1 degree as opposed to the maximum of -0.8 degrees.

I will do the wheel rotation and monitor it - if it gets worse, I may have to do the subframe wrestle of investigate the IPD adjustable bushing.

Thanks again!Again, like your other post, go out, have fun.

You are within specs.

NEVER have I seen a Volvo with both rear camber numbers the same.
I'm sure by the sheer numbers of cars some are, but most are not.
I would die for a -1 reading, you will NOT wear out a tire