PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if trans software upgrade is done

ducatichris
11-09-2007, 12:18 PM
For an 02 XC, anyone know how to tell if the software upgrade for the tranny
has been done?

Should I go to a local volvo dealer and ask for all the recalls and software upgrades to be done to the car?

just bought this car from a non volvo dealership that took it in on a trade deal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

JRL
11-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Should I go to a local volvo dealer and ask for all the recalls and software upgrades to be done to the car?

Yep.
That's the only way one can tell. It has to be hooked up to Volvo's computer, it will then know what upgrades are available, (if any)

bluebrick
03-15-2008, 06:28 PM
I have an interesting story on this... I've noticed that my car had the symptoms of needing a software upgrade, so I went to Volvo and gave them my vin (it was a certified preowned 6yr 100k car) and he looked it up and said it was done. I ended up having them fix the brake booster while I was there.

I got the car back and I forgot about it for a while, but still wondered why I get that 'thump'. Well, the brake lights abs/etc. came on so I took it back and had them check the car over again (for free mind you). They said I needed a new ABS system, blah blah blah, but they also said I needed the software upgrade. I had it done for $83 and what a difference!

I'm wondering if it somehow looses the upgrade, or if that guy did not know what he was talking about when he 'looked it up'...anyway, car runs great now!

JRL
03-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I have an interesting story on this... I've noticed that my car had the symptoms of needing a software upgrade, so I went to Volvo and gave them my vin (it was a certified preowned 6yr 100k car) and he looked it up and said it was done. I ended up having them fix the brake booster while I was there.

I got the car back and I forgot about it for a while, but still wondered why I get that 'thump'. Well, the brake lights abs/etc. came on so I took it back and had them check the car over again (for free mind you). They said I needed a new ABS system, blah blah blah, but they also said I needed the software upgrade. I had it done for $83 and what a difference!

I'm wondering if it somehow looses the upgrade, or if that guy did not know what he was talking about when he 'looked it up'...anyway, car runs great now!
They come out with upgraded software every year (or less) THEN your old software is out of date. This is what probably happened, 02's had 2 or 3 software upgrades

Pete Harunk
03-24-2008, 02:40 PM
a few years ago, i didn't like the feeling of my 02 XC transmission. It was not shifting correctly, and "banged' into gear. Ihad a funny feeling the tranny had major problems. Went to the dealer and they told me it needed a software upgrade for $160. I didn't like the sound of that, but went along with it as a course of treatment. I asked why it was so much money, and they explained that it had to be downloaded and installed by a qualified technician. I smelled baloney but went along with it. They upgraded the sw, and it was an improvement, but it still wasn't right.

About a year later, the car came off lease and we purchased it. Somehow, we were able to get a 12 mo/12k mile warranty for about $1100. Needless to say, 6 months later, I brought it in and got a new transmission via the warranty!

Back to the title of the post. I am in the software business. There are two reasons why software is upgraded. One gives new features to a product that is working as expected. The second reason for an "upgrade" is to fix bugs in the original software code. So, by upgrading your tranny software, you are not adding any new functionality, so the only reason for it is to fix something that was not written correctly to begin with! Furthermore, downloading software should not take more that a few minutes, and transferring it to the car should be minimal time, so charging $160 is just another way to get money out of you.

bluebrick
03-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Amen

Aviator
03-25-2008, 05:11 PM
You know....it's really a no brainer with this software upgrade. If your trans was working fine for say 90,000 kms, and then the trans starts to clunk and flare, then you know the problem is in the trans right (barring any other problems) ? The software didn't change now did it ? Software doesn't deteriorate with time; it stays the same. All the upgrades do is apply field dressings to your slowly dying trans; more of a wear compensation thing until it finally won't engage in any gear, and if it does engage it slips like hell. That's also why you have to reset the adaptations so the new upgrade can compensate for the wear and tear inside and then adapt accordingly. You have to give Volvo credit for helping to squeeze out every last mile !!

Dave.