PDA

View Full Version : Replacing dipped beam bulb - shouldn't this be dead easy?

PJ810
11-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Tried to take out my dipped beam bulb. Followed the instructions in the owners manual.

Taking off the cover is easy.

Then the connector. It tells me to "pull it off". I've pulled pretty hard. I've tried twisting, shaking, pulling again. It won't budge.

The next step would be removing the clip. Turn slightly, then pull the clip forward. I did this. Easy. But the connector is still in the way so I can't pull it out.

Put the bulb back, clip back on, had another go at the connector. No luck.

Then tried it on the other side. Bit more space on the right. Couldn't get the connector off that one either. There's no spring-loaded clip or anything as far as I can see but there's not much space in there.

So what's the trick? I don't feel comfortable going to my mechanic to have a bulb replaced. Firstly I'd loose the car for a day, secondly it's going to cost a lot and thirdly any idiot *should* be able to change a light bulb. Not?

Any advice on this will be much appreciated!

Also, there's a vertical black box that sits between the main beam and the dipped beam with a connector attached to the top. On the left side this connector was hanging loose in my car. I slid it back on. What does this do? Anything at all? On the right hand side it was properly connected.

PJ810
11-03-2007, 04:48 AM
And now - within the same day - I've lost both my dipped beams AND my parking lights. High beams still work.

What could be the cause of this??? Each light is on a separate fuse!

thebracko
11-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Put down your purse, Nancy!

Yes, the connector is tight, but with some pulling, light twisting, it will come off.

If you still can't get it off, drop by your dealer. They'll usually get a tech to come out and replace it for you for just the cost of the bulb.

PJ810
11-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Put down your purse, Nancy!

Yes, the connector is tight, but with some pulling, light twisting, it will come off.

If you still can't get it off, drop by your dealer. They'll usually get a tech to come out and replace it for you for just the cost of the bulb.

With all the other lights out now too there's got to be something else going on so I'll leave the car with my mechanic for the day on Monday morning. As for dropping by the dealer - wish I lived in Canada if they are so nice over there!