PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Is the mechanic telling me the truth?

freeheel720
10-22-2007, 02:13 PM
I got my winter tires put on last weekend. When I went to pick up my car, the manager told me that the brake pads were wearing down and I should replace the pads and rotors ($420!) He said that you always need to replace the rotors when the pads wear down on a Volvo.

I drive a 2002 V70XC with 42K miles on it. This seems a little premature to me to replace rotors already.

There is no sign that the rotors are warped, it brakes smoothly and consistently.

Is this true, or is the tire shop just trying to get more money out of me because I drive a Volvo?

Thanks for the help.

PDXXC
10-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Hmm....not always...
Ideally, the rotors should be resurfaced when the pads are replaced. I say ideally but it's not exactly mandatory. Ask you mechanic for the rotor thickness and run-out. If they are under specified thickness they cant be resurfaced and should be replaced. If the rotors are adequately thick and relatively smooth with no deep grooves you can just replace the pads.
If the runout is beyond spec you should try to have them resurfaced into spec or, more likely, replaced.
My front pads ('02) went at about 40K miles. I replaced the rotors with the pads to be on the safe(r) side as they were about 1 mm over minimum thickness.

PS-let the tire shop worry about tires....find an independent Volvo wrench (or, God help you, a dealer) to worry about the rest.

JRL
10-22-2007, 05:37 PM
I got my winter tires put on last weekend. When I went to pick up my car, the manager told me that the brake pads were wearing down and I should replace the pads and rotors ($420!) He said that you always need to replace the rotors when the pads wear down on a Volvo.

I drive a 2002 V70XC with 42K miles on it. This seems a little premature to me to replace rotors already.

There is no sign that the rotors are warped, it brakes smoothly and consistently.

Is this true, or is the tire shop just trying to get more money out of me because I drive a Volvo?

Thanks for the help.

That's a big fat LIE
You replace rotors when they NEED to be replaced either by the feel of them (shaky) or the thickness of the metal left on them. At 40K yours should be just fine. Ask them EXACTLY the thickness of the pads but If they're original at 41K they probably DO need replacing.

But....get your brakes done somewhere else, you're being ripped off and tell them so.
Anyone can install Volvo brakes, no secret here, just plain old brake pads, just have them done properly

RedXC
10-22-2007, 06:34 PM
I think is both. The tech can be wrong or correct. At 40K miles, depending how much you drive and how much you put the brakes on meaning depending on your driving the brakes might or might not wear as fast. On the rotors, ask them what was the reason for replacement? Dished? Warped? Scored? Ask them to measure them. And don't flame them, they are just trying to make you and your car safe, be considerate. Thanks.

budrichard
10-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Who does your service? I have my pads checked every service and know when they will need to be replaced, no one tells me.
At 67.5K miles on my 03XC the front pads were replaced for the first time, no rotor work done. As previously stated, it all depends on your driving. Mine is mostly highway but if stop and go, pads and rotors will wear more frequently but there is no rule that calls for replacing rottors with pads.
NEVER let a tire installer tell you anything about your vehical other than it's ready.
Your Volvo service whether Volvo or Independant should keep you appraised of the condition of your vehicle.-Dick

dlr97
10-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Brake work is the biggest profit center for auto shops. Always get Volvo's specs for rotor wear and compare to measurements on your rotors. I do my own brake work, and have found that rotors usually need replacing with every other pad set.

tkirwan
10-23-2007, 01:53 PM
My rotors went 103K. I had the pads replaced at about 45K, then replaced the pads again when they did the rotors.

I drive about 70% rural and highway, and about 30% in-town driving.