PDA

View Full Version : 2002 V70XC Brake Calipers Seized - Need Advice

RedHookV70XC
10-07-2007, 06:50 AM
We have a 2002 V70XC with ~42,500 miles. We purchased the car from Volvo Finance at the end a 4-year lease and bought a 84 month/75,000 mile Total Care (New) Extended Warranty from the dealer. A few days ago we started noticing groaning and grinding noise coming from the left front corner at 40 - 60 mph. We brought the car to the dealer thinking that we had either a bad wheel bearing or brake caliper.

We have learned that both front brake calipers have siezed and that a representative from the warranty company will be visiting the dealership to see if they want to cover front brake pads under the warranty. The dealer told us that we also need new rotors, but that they would not be covered by the warrantee.

Could the calipers seizing damage both the pads and the rotors? If so, should the warranty be covering all related parts? [OR] Are we due for rotors based on mileage regardless of the calipers?

Thanks for any help with this as we expect to speak with our dealer again tomorrow afternoon.

BillAileo
10-07-2007, 07:19 AM
In my opinion, calipers sezing could definitely ruin the pads and, depending upon the circumstances, could also damage the rotors. Rotor life in my experience is quite variable and can't really be estimated based just upon miles driven. I don't know anything about the details of the extended warranty.

Bill

RedHookV70XC
10-07-2007, 09:20 AM
According to our extended warranty contract; normal maintenance items (including brake pads, shoes, linings, and rotors) are NOT included UNLESS required as part of a COVERED repair.

The seized brake calipers ARE COVERED so the question becomes... How would it be determined if the seized calipers caused damage to the pads and rotors (making those parts COVERED too)?

thebracko
10-07-2007, 09:28 AM
If they are requiring you to replace the pads & rotors, then I would say the seized calipers ruined them. The only way they should be able to get out of covering them is if you had say, less than 4mm pad left, in which case they would be close to needing regular replacement anyways.

MoeB
10-08-2007, 06:19 AM
Check to see if one side of each rotor is worn out while the other side is still good. If so I'd say the stuck calipers did them in prematurely.

Ragman
10-08-2007, 08:59 AM
A seized caliper will overheat, wear out pads and warp the rotor.

Besides, if you bought it from Volvo, wouldn't they sell it with good rotors/pads?

RedHookV70XC
12-16-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks to everyone who offered information and advice about our seized brake caliper. The caliper and front pads were replaced under the extended warranty; the rotors were not damaged.

When we got home fro mthe dealer, we noticed that the hub cap was missing from the wheel that had been worked on. The dealer went the extra mile and sent us a replacement part by UPS at no charge. Hudson Valley Volvo has provided us with terrific service and we bought our car from another dealer before moving to their area.

RedHookV70XC
12-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks to everyone who offered information and advice about our seized brake caliper. The caliper and front pads were replaced under the extended warranty; the rotors were not damaged.

When we got home from the dealer, we noticed that the hub cap was missing from the wheel that had been worked on. The dealer went the extra mile and sent us a replacement part by UPS at no charge. Hudson Valley Volvo has provided us with terrific service and we bought our car from another dealer before moving to their area. [thumbup]

Forkster
12-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Mind you red - you did pay for the warranty - we hope they gave you good service. :D

Glad it all worked out in the end. That being said, what caused your calipers to seize up? I haven't seen to many posts about caliper issues.

Capt. Canuck
11-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Hey Forkster,

I've had about 8 vehicles over the last 20yrs. and my 03' XC70 has been my favorite right behind my Saab 9000T. And over the years I have NEVER had any of them have a ceased caliper.

I have also read here that it is not unsual for them to go. Any paticular reason?

MacNoob
11-04-2011, 11:22 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAyFfghzN-EaR0IQVp_CStE6YUwKWjQKst5vq0ob0warU66P-0Zg
Note the date on the post you're replying to...

Astro14
11-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah...Holy Ancient Posts Batman!

As a data point...I have rebuilt/replaced calipers on a lot of cars...but in hundreds of thousands of miles, I have yet to replace a Volvo or Mercedes caliper when the brake fluid has been flushed/changed as specified...

billr99
11-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Yeah...Holy Ancient Posts Batman!

As a data point...I have rebuilt/replaced calipers on a lot of cars...but in hundreds of thousands of miles, I have yet to replace a Volvo or Mercedes caliper when the brake fluid has been flushed/changed as specified...

Boy, I wish I could say that. I flush (w/ ATE Blue) my brakes every spring and on every Volvo I have ever had, I have replaced at least one caliper. Usually on the driver's side and usually the rear one. Weird and/or coincidental, I know, but it's true. As far as other ones I've replaced, yep, Mercedes. On the other hand, I have never had to replace a single Lockheed on any of my Rovers which is also opposite the common trend.

Cheers,

Bill

mhrir
11-04-2011, 08:19 PM
It had been 1420 days since this thread last had a post. Thats 202 weeks, or 34,080 hours, or 2,044,800 minutes, or 122,688,000 seconds.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=86&pictureid=476

billr99
11-05-2011, 05:39 AM
It had been 1420 days since this thread last had a post. Thats 202 weeks, or 34,080 hours, or 2,044,800 minutes, or 122,688,000 seconds.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=86&pictureid=476

Now go do a study on how many new posts repeat what has been said numerous times in older posts on subjects like tranny fluid replacements or wheel bearings. A bit more efficient bringing up an old one versus having to re-type for the umpteenth time what has already been said.

Cheers,

Bill

mhrir
11-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Touché.