PDA

View Full Version : 2001 V70 Xc Lawsuit

MIGUEL0306
10-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi,
I am new to this site, and was hoping to see if anyone can tell me what happened with this lawsuit. My volvo is experiencing transmission problems, it won't move at all. I took it to the dealer, 4 days ago, and they told me it was the speed sensors, and had them replaced. Now my volvo will not move from my driveway.

MoeB
10-03-2007, 06:24 AM
What lawsuit?

Lilja
10-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Your volvo dealership will pay the towing and they should fix your car for free since you payed for them to fix it the last time but it didnt work obviously. The only thing you can do is to talk to them im sure youll work it out.

funglenn
10-03-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't think there is any lawsuit, just a few people who wanted to sue.

deschutesman
01-11-2011, 10:08 PM
my wife's 2002 xc70 had transmission replaced last year. cost was $3,800 and work was done by a great independent repair shop. after install of first new transmission we noticed the extreme bumps in up and down shifts as well as the surges that happened very unexpectedly. dealer reviewed the car and agreed to order another transmission under warranty. the second transmission experience the same issues. another part ordered and installed also under warranty. now, the car has not been driven 5,000 miles in the past 12 months and is experiencing the same issues. my independent repair shop called the dealer to query about getting another (third) transmission under the warranty and the dealership gave an opinion that the warranty is out of date and nothing can be done. i would love to have a class action lawsuit initiated to shake up Volvo. now i will be involved in attempting to convince the dealer and volvo of the error of their ways. anyone have any
legal ideas of how to proceed?

Ocean Racer
01-12-2011, 12:22 AM
deleted

JavaRacer
01-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Perhaps it isn't the transmission that is the problem, but the process by which your mechanic is topping off the transmission fluid, installing, something like that? Information included in the following thread...

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15297

acools
01-12-2011, 10:48 AM
+1 on perhaps this isn't the transmission, maybe the install is the issue.

This could be a B4 servo problem, this could be a valve body problem or this could be because they aren't updating the software correctly (or at all).

I would have the indy have Volvo confirm the software, valve body and just generally look the installation over.

Andres

Astro14
01-12-2011, 07:25 PM
my wife's 2002 xc70 had transmission replaced last year. cost was $3,800 and work was done by a great independent repair shop. after install of first new transmission we noticed the extreme bumps in up and down shifts as well as the surges that happened very unexpectedly. dealer reviewed the car and agreed to order another transmission under warranty. the second transmission experience the same issues. another part ordered and installed also under warranty. now, the car has not been driven 5,000 miles in the past 12 months and is experiencing the same issues. my independent repair shop called the dealer to query about getting another (third) transmission under the warranty and the dealership gave an opinion that the warranty is out of date and nothing can be done. i would love to have a class action lawsuit initiated to shake up Volvo. now i will be involved in attempting to convince the dealer and volvo of the error of their ways. anyone have any
legal ideas of how to proceed?

OK, so trans replaced by shop last year but was defective from the start.

Dealer replaced that trans with another one under warranty?

It didn't work either.

So the dealer installed a 3rd trans...

And now that 3rd trans is out of warranty and it's acting up?

The odds of 3 separate transmissions acting up is very small...are they sure that everything else is working correctly? MAF, computer, etc...

If the dealer replaced two transmissions under warranty, you're lucky...but the odds of getting them to replace this one 12 months later are pretty much zero, regardless of miles. Look at it from a judge's perspective: they made a good faith effort to fix it at the time, now you're bringing them a 9 year old car 12 months later, and saying they're at fault for a problem?

In the case of the OP, he didn't provide details except that it won't move, but he was talking about a 6-7 year old car...and it had some problems...without knowing the mileage, history or service on it... how can anyone say that it's Volvo's fault?

If the car was under warranty, Volvo should fix it. It's one thing if the dealer didn't fix it the first time, but they did fix it the first time...and now, it's not covered by warranty.

Look, I share your frustration, but we're not talking about new cars that broke, or mechanics that broke the car, we're talking about a dealer that replaced the transmission - Twice! and now it's out of warranty...I am no lawyer, but you're going to have a hard time showing any fault there...

acools
01-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Your only hope is to have the indy lean on Volvo and confirm the details of the install. Our lean on Volvo directly, ask them to confirm the work.

Was the SW updated correctly? 2001 and 2002 Volvo v70XC's w/ rebuilt transmission are supposed to get a SW update and I forget the details but it has to do with shift surges.

The rebuilt transmission is supposed to get a different valve body, was this done correctly during the rebuild?

What about any problems with the B4 servo, again the details escape me but I thought it dealt with problems shifting as well.

What fluids did the indy use?

Agreed, law suit w/ Volvo won't get you anywhere, 3 tranny in 12 months?
The real question is the installation.

Andres

Astro14
01-13-2011, 11:02 AM
I have to assume the rebuild was done correctly, and that would include an update to the valve body (which was known to wear...resulting in low line pressure that can cause all your symptoms...). But, with all your problems, maybe you're getting bad rebuilds. figure a rebuild is going to cost near $3K, plus installation.

And it's entirely possible, as pointed out, that the install is being messed up...including using the wrong fluid. Anything other than a JWS-3309 compliant fluid (not Dexron, not universal...) will cause multiple problems, including harsh engagement, poor shifting and eventual damage.

I doubt that they removed the Anchor Bolt to fill the fluid or you would not have 3rd gear...period...

So, what can you do?

The software update fixes a few things, most noticeably the neutral control that puts the car in neutral at a stop. Supposed to save fuel, but led to harsh engagement from a stop.

Harsh up/down shifts are not likely to be software, but it should only cost about $75 to have it reloaded. You could try it...

B4 servo cover fixes engagement going into/out of 3rd gear if the original cover is shot. No real effect on other gears and the part may be OK. Still, at $15 and 20-30 minutes to fix, you can try...but a proper rebuild will have the updated cover...

I would recommend that you try flushing it with the correct fluid. Easy enough to do yourself, see the Gibbons posting, and it's cheap.

If you eliminate incorrect fluid as the cause, then you're looking at the more expensive fix of replacement.

But I still wonder why you've gone through 3 in 12 months...there's something more going on here.