PDA

View Full Version : Which roof rail cross bar should I get?

PJ810
10-01-2007, 01:54 AM
I need to get cross bars for my 2001 V70XC. I currently carry my kayaks on my 1999 V70XC.

There appear to be three options:

1. Proper Volvo XC cross bar. Sits between rails. Tailgate can't open properly if I have my kayak on the roof.

2. Thule cross bar. Sits raised. Pros are that there is more useable bar space, and does anyone have experience with the tailgate and a boat? Will it clear? Negatives of this option are that they boat needs to be lifted higher still (1999 V70XC is high enough!).

3. What appears to be the same Thule cross bar but labelled "Volvo".

Interested to hear some thoughts.

bbbuzzy
10-01-2007, 09:00 AM
I currently have the Thule Crossroads (450XT, I believe) bars installed on my '05 XC70. It's a great system and I use it to carry kayaks, etc. Depending on the length of the kayak and the positioning of the bars, you may or may not have a problem opening the back hatch. I don't think your choice of crossbars will have much to do with whether the back hatch can be opened. This will be impacted by boat length and bar position. The Thule setup I use has the advantage of not being specific for a Volvo, so you can put it on any vehicle with front to back roof rails. The mounting brackets are adjustable to different diameter rails and can be positioned anywhere along the length of the rail. This allows you to move it forward to accomodate longer loads. Just make sure you leave the bars at least 24" apart to provide a good base for the kayak carrier. You can also use whatever bar length you desire increasing the flexibility of the system and the types of loads you can carry. i guess I sound like a saleman now. In short, the Thule system is great. Good luck in your choices.

Art
10-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Patrick,

If you are hauling ocean touring kayaks, then it won't matter what type of rack system you use as there will likely be some contact when the rear hatch is opened.

Depending on the beam of your boats, the Volvo lower profile wing style bars may not provide enough room to accommodate more than one kayak since they are mounted between the rails.

http://www.volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/Crossbars_1.jpg

For a number of years now, I have been using Volvo's square-profile rack system, partnered with 2 sets of Thule saddles and was able to fit a pair of 22" wide sea kayaks side by side. At the time, they were much cheaper than the Thule branded bars and towers. However, I found it necessary to use all of the available space towards the ends of the oem bars as there was no possibility of extending them outside of the towers. I have now switched to a pair of Thule Hull-a-Port cradles teamed with four regular Thule saddles for transporting our boats, one of which is a home built Pygmy with a 23" beam.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/KennedyLake-1.jpg

As bbbuzzy mentioned, you might find the Thule rack systems more flexible (albeit more costly) than oem as longer load bars are available. FWIW, the oem racks are made by Thule.

PJ810
10-02-2007, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the response.

First question, how do you find the Hull-a-Port cradles? I spoke to someone this weekend who has them and said his kayak once fell out before he had the chance to tie them down. Also, are you a weekend paddler or do you only venture out on occasionally? The Hull-a-port cradles are huge and can't be left on the car during the week. I'm looking at that option as it appears the kayak will be easier to load onto the car. The other option is to buy a lighter kayak (but that's going to set me back at least another $3K).

I have two large sea kayaks (double and single), both quite beamy and LONG. They fitted side by side (just) on the 240 and also on my Peugeot, so I figure they should both fit on the XC.

Clarification though: if I go square bar, how is the cradle going to be able to sit further out? Isn't the position of the rail the extremity unless you go completely outboard of the rail with the base of the cradle (which I do not wish to do)? Or does the Thule square bar allow you to sit the cradle on top of the 'mount' which sits on top of the rail?

Is that making any sense?

Art
10-02-2007, 12:59 PM
At first I wasn't sure how stable a platform the Hull-a-Ports would provide for the boat particularly at highway speeds. That being said, I replaced the rubber grommets that came with the carriage bolts with metal washers and the brackets and knobs now clamp solidly onto the load bars. I've driven the XC at over 130 km/hr against a stiff wind without a problem.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/IMG_7771.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/IMG_7772.jpg

I have the 1st gen Hull-a-Ports (model #835) with twin brackets and I believe that Thule has now replaced it with the 835XT which is equipped with one diagonally opposed swing-out bracket. I think they did the modification for easier and faster removal of the J cradles. When I'm not paddling, the J-cradles and saddles come off along with the bars themselves as they are quite noisy if left up there alone.
I've never had my boat fall off from the J-cradles prior to and after strapping it down. Even so, with any type of carrier, it's important to check and secure all points of attachments before driving off. When I'm strapping down the boat, I also lash the cradles to the bars at the same time for additional support. A bow tie down completes the process.

I'm not familiar with your set up so it's quite possible that your kayaks would fit atop the XC although it's hard to say what the outcome would be with the wider tandem up there. I'm curious to know if there significant difference in width between the roof rails of the XC compared to your other vehicles.

With longer load bars, it's possible to mount conventional saddles (not J-style) outside of the towers if you desperately need the space. Thule foot packs permit this by allowing the bars to free slide; something that my 48" Volvo rack can’t do.

http://www.rackattack.com/dynamicimages/productimages/thule-450-crossroad.jpg

A 58" Thule brand load bar might stick out slightly from the roof of the car, but it would also free up more space for additional rack accessories. However, this is a moot point as your wish is not to have this type of set up. Despite some limitations, I'm happy with the oem rack and square load bars.

Rustpot
10-02-2007, 01:40 PM
The Volvo square bars are mounted to the roof rails with a clamp that allows the entire top portion of the bar to be used.

You'll have 48" (if that's the length) of uninterrupted bar to mount things to, unless the clamp wraps around the bar. The clamp used is not much wider than the rail (smaller than the Thule posted below) and allows the bars to slide on them and be mounted off-center. The whole thing tightens by a single S-Torx at each clamp.

I have the square bars that are wider than the rails by ~6" on each side, but I don't use them and they're sitting in storage 500 miles south of me right now. Otherwise I'd take some pics for you.

softerik
10-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Just bought these one yesterday

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CROSS-BARS-VOLVO-XC-70-PT-010448_W0QQitemZ230173745098QQihZ013QQcategoryZ336 51QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

As long they fit on factory rack, i am happy.

edwa
10-08-2007, 02:29 PM
You didn't mention as an option Yakima racks. I've gotten great service from them thru a couple of cars using them for bikes, surfboards and kayaks. I like the Mako saddles as they provide cushioning to the fiberglass hulls from road shock. http://yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=196

Having the crossbars extend beyond the rails provides easy spacing of 2 wide kayaks and room for the tie-down straps. My advice is to avoid the Hulley rollers as your boat can slip off them sideways. Wind noise? Do you ever get away from it? I wish they could design a quicker release system so that the racks would remove easier when not in use to prevent noise and increase mpg. Just take off the saddles? To remove and install 8 saddles is a PIA. I once modified their clamps using their bike ratchet straps with quick release levers. But in the end driving at 60 mph with 2 kayaks close to 3000 a piece, why take any chances?

edwa
10-08-2007, 02:33 PM
I just noticed that you're in Sydney. Are there not suitable Rola racks? I'm temporarily living in Melbourne and see them all over. I once had a set on a Nissan Pathfinder back when they were available in the states, great product.

PJ810
10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
I just noticed that you're in Sydney. Are there not suitable Rola racks? I'm temporarily living in Melbourne and see them all over. I once had a set on a Nissan Pathfinder back when they were available in the states, great product.

Rola are a step down from Thule.

The decision has been made. Going for the normal standard Volvo cross bar that sits between the rails. I want the boat(s) to sit as low as possible. Easier to get them up there! This is an issue that will present itself every time I go out. The extra width is only an occasional problem. Either one kayak will be somewhat on its side or I'll buy the Hull-a-port cradles to accommodate one of them.

I already have two sets of Thule cradles that cushion the boats nicely.

I'll post some pics after this weekends paddling trip. :)

Art
10-09-2007, 11:25 AM
PJ,

Glad to hear that you came to a decision. Let us know how you make out. FWIW, the length of available working space a top my Volvo bars is approx 36" and I find that a 48" or wider bar spread works for me.

Look forward to seeing your pics. :)

PJ810
10-20-2007, 04:42 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I got the cross bars on Thursday. The Thule cradles on Friday morning and this morning (Saturday) I went for a brief paddle. Attached pics at one of my launching sites. Clontarf Beach, Sydney. Unfortunately it wasn't a sunny morning.
First pic is of my car at home.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/pj810/XCBeach001.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/pj810/XCBeach004.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/pj810/XCBeach006.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/pj810/XCBeach007.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/pj810/XCBeach011.jpg

budrichard
10-20-2007, 06:34 AM
For anyone else reading this thread.
I trailer sea kayaks,whitewater kayaks and both flat and whitewater canoes.
I have been using Yakima for the past 30 years on everything from Jeeps to all my Volvos.
Currently Yakima makes a rack called the 'Hully Roller'. This rack allows one to single handily load a sea kayak easily.
The racks easily attach and lock. I cuurently have three different versions.
I would advise anyone considering such racks to investigate Yakima.-Dick

edwa
10-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Just my 2 cents worth. A warning about Huly rollers. I and others have had their kayaks slip or be blown off sideways from the rollers while single handedly loading them. For me this was on a higher Mercedes SUV where the loading angle is much steeper than the Volvo. It resulted in a cracked hull.

Looking at the wonderful pictures, I wondered how many people use front and rear tie-downs? Is it overkill? I guess the reason I do it is I read that advice in a kayaking publication and accepted it.

PJ810
10-21-2007, 05:12 AM
Looking at the wonderful pictures, I wondered how many people use front and rear tie-downs? Is it overkill? I guess the reason I do it is I read that advice in a kayaking publication and accepted it.

I do when driving my double on longer trips. I don't bother with short trips. I just drive carefully. The single is rock solid on the XC. I can drive in a spirited fashion and it won't budge. Not that I do that (tried it once on a very twisty road). Normally I drive just that little bit slower and smoother with my toy on the roof of my other toy. :D

budrichard
10-21-2007, 06:12 AM
I ALWAYS use front and rear tie downs no mater what's on top.
The static load that you can test when the vehicle is not moving can be dramatically different with the vehicle moving.
As far as the Hully Rollers, I have been using them since they first came out and not a single problem, even with a Jeep.-Dick

wwilme
10-25-2007, 12:59 AM
I have the standard Volvo square profile (Thule) bars. They certainly make alot of wind noise no matter how you have them positioned. Since they are for occasional use only, I don't see getting a wind deflector or spoiler - whatever they call it. The Volvo bars will also fit my 4Runner and they make the same howling noise! Are the Yakima round profile bars quieter? I'm guessing the Volvo wing profile bars are quiet?

budrichard
10-25-2007, 06:10 AM
All the cross bars are noisy. It's simply a function of the velocity of the bar through the air, I suppose a wing shape is theoretically more efficient and would result in less noise but the velocity through the air is relatively low anyway, so I don't expect much difference. One just lives with it.
My racks come off for the winter. -Dick

wwilme
10-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Anyone else have thoughts on noise from the standard "wing shape" Volvo bars that sit between the rails.

The bars on my 4Runner aren't noticable if you them set in the rails as indicated. It's not the perfect postion for hauling longer objects, but you can alway adjust them for the occasional trip with a ladder, canoe etc.

PJ810
10-25-2007, 04:41 PM
It appears to be noiser on my 2001 XC than my 1999 XC. Then again, maybe that's because the 2001 is quieter overall.

peteman222
10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
+1 for Yakima racks - I'm a fan of the round crossbars. No scientific research on noise, but I think they are quieter than the square.

You can also get a clip-on wing about 12" wide that is supposed to reduce the howl (I have one on my '95 Pathfinder-seems to help).

One warning - with the Yakimas make sure you pull the end caps off a few times/year to dry out the ends of the bars, otherwise moisture gets in and corrosion builds up between the rubber and steel bar - eventually they swell at the ends and you can't pull the caps any longer, or they split.

That being said, the Yakimas are super-strong - I've hauled dressers, futons, canoes, kayaks, many bikes, skis, huge loads of lumber (enough to build a 6'x8' pressure-treated playhouse, fence) on mine - never an issue. Well, with the bike lumber loads they were creaking a bit over the bumps, but never bent.