PDA

View Full Version : Highest tranny millage!!!!!!

curtis
09-28-2007, 07:10 PM
I realize after reading thru this form that 2001 xc's are prone to tranny failure. I also realize that regular maintenance will prolong their life.
Being the very new owner of an 2001 xc with 88000miles on it. I find this a sad bit of info to learn, hopeing it would be as strong as my 850 turbo tranny. atleast I have 3 year 36000 mile warranty. But still what is the highest millage on a 2001 tranny that you ppl know about?

JRL
09-28-2007, 07:27 PM
I realize after reading thru this form that 2001 xc's are prone to tranny failure. I also realize that regular maintenance will prolong their life.
Being the very new owner of an 2001 xc with 88000miles on it. I find this a sad bit of info to learn, hopeing it would be as strong as my 850 turbo tranny. atleast I have 3 year 36000 mile warranty. But still what is the highest millage on a 2001 tranny that you ppl know about?

850 (AW-45) tranny isn't so great either, but better.
There are 01's with 150K miles and a perfect tranny, but that's far and few

curtis
09-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Ya it sounds like they are rare for sure. I found the 850 tranny tough though. 465000 kms and counting maintenance free...... I am a DIY type of guy and will be changing the xc's fluid more regularily then the 850's. THnx 4 the input

nwxc70
09-30-2007, 08:21 AM
100 K just yesterday on my '01 and no tranny problems. I've changed the fluid twice and its probably due for another flushing. Good luck!

birddog
09-30-2007, 06:42 PM
95k last week on mine and everything seems fine. Not wanting to jinx myself, I still stand fast that this has been a very giving car for me with only routine maintenance.

BTW: '96 854 145k. No problems.

slowflyer
10-01-2007, 02:59 AM
165K, no problems. No flush as the maintenance schedule merely says inspect.

Blackstone
10-01-2007, 03:03 PM
108K on mine. B4 Servo cover replacement fixed the major 2-3rd shift problem and had a transmission engine speed snesor failure $430. Been flushing using BG products transmission fluid and Gibbons method every 30K. not overly confident that the transmission will stay I one piece.

Phrog
10-01-2007, 07:15 PM
90k on engine and tranny, no problems. Changing trans. fluid
every 30k or so. We'll see....

-phrog

curtis
10-02-2007, 03:11 AM
well, that sounds a little better. I guess changing fluids is a big deal with this car. The service records for my "new to me" car show only routine maintenace no major tranny work. According to the dealer that is! lol Car is still in shipping. Its a long way from texas to new brunswick.

MoeB
10-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Curtis, check your service records to see if/when the stop neutral feature was disabled on your car. That is probably the most critical factor affecting reliability of the '01 transmissions. In general, the more miles driven with s/n active, the shorter the life of the transmission.

When you get the car, I would recommend sending a transmission fluid sample off to a lab for oil analysis, just to have it on the record. I would also have the fluid changed if it is older than 30k miles. Good luck and enjoy your "new" car.

curtis
10-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Ya, i'll deffinently make sure the neutral switch has been deactivated. The car is supposed to be landing at portland volvo in maine by friday. The 3 year warranty Ive paid into isn't through volvo, although from what I hear this may not be a bad thing!!! I ma able to have service at any lisenced mechanics shop although anything serious will be going to volvo... I will deffinently change the tranny fluid via the gibbons method after I recieve the car....... Waiting is no fun!!!

thnks

bwik
10-03-2007, 03:55 PM
126k on our 2001 and the tranny is doing very well.

Got flushed 2 times in the last 18 months (most recently with synthetic ATF of some kind).

I didn't even change it the first time until 100k. My mom drives it, what can I say?

So the ATF is clean right now and the shifts, I must say, are buttery smooth. And it's not that great of a car anymore. But the tranny is good.

It may be a weak tranny, but it you actually flush in some synthetic every 50,000-60,000 miles, I do not believe we'd be seeing any failures at all.

MoeB
10-03-2007, 08:07 PM
It may be a weak tranny, but it you actually flush in some synthetic every 50,000-60,000 miles, I do not believe we'd be seeing any failures at all.

I'm not so sure. I flushed mine at 46k and it still bit the dust at 65k miles. I used Mobil 3309 instead of synthetic, but I doubt it would have mattered. I think the biggest factor was that the transmission still had the shift-neutral on it when we got it. I'm convinced that all that shifting in and out of gear at every stop for five years is what did ours in. Once the wear and tear induced by s/n has reached a certain point, anything you do is just prolonging the inevitable.

BTW, what kind of synthetic ATF is in yours now?

Wepe
10-05-2007, 10:35 AM
What is a neutral swich activation?
Sorry, but have never herad of this...

MoeB
10-05-2007, 12:04 PM
On 2001 and (I think) some 2002 models, the Aisin-Warner transmissions originally came with a "Neutral Control" function. The owners manual describes it this way (p. 82):

When the engine is idling, the gear selector is in the Drive position and the brake pedal is depressed, the transmission will automatically switch to neutral. The transmission will automatically return to Drive when the brake pedal is released.

A later TCM update removes the function due to the increasingly harsh "bang" engagement that typically resulted as the transmission gradually wore out from all the excess shifting in and out of gear. Unfortunately, the damage was usually done by the time problems showed up.