PDA

View Full Version : Turbo drain pipe

barrysharp
04-20-2003, 03:57 PM
I noticed on IPD's web page Turbo Drain Pipe Seal Kit (http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsList.aspx?subSubCategoryID=713) that they claim there an oil leak problem that's common. Have XC70 owners found this to be a common problem ?

Thanks.

wiz
04-20-2003, 07:36 PM
It was "supposed" to be a problem a year or two ago I understand, just like synthetic oil was "supposed" to leak through gaskets a little easier. I don't think anyone has reported leaks on this forum, at least as far as I can remember.

littlewaywelt
04-21-2003, 05:48 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wiz @ April 20 2003,22:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It was &quot;supposed&quot; to be a problem a year or two ago I understand, just like synthetic oil was &quot;supposed&quot; to leak through gaskets a little easier. I don&#39;t think anyone has reported leaks on this forum, at least as far as I can remember.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I had a recurring oil leak. &nbsp;It took three trips to the dealer before they realized there was a crack in the neck of something where the oil goes into the engine. &nbsp;replaced under warranty and no subsequent problems.

wiz
04-21-2003, 06:17 AM
Was it the problem Barry is talking about?

littlewaywelt
04-21-2003, 07:45 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wiz @ April 21 2003,09:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Was it the problem Barry is talking about?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No Barry&#39;s talking about a seal. I had a metal part of the neck which was cracked. I only added it &nbsp;in the event that someone else has had similar oil leaks. The leak I had didn&#39;t produce a lot of oil leakage (at least not as much as the time a dealer forgot to put the cap back on and I drove 2 miles before smoke was coming out from everywhere) but it did produce enough to stain the engine top and force me to add a 1/2 quart on one 9 hour trip.

XCinSpain
04-21-2003, 09:16 AM
I had a leak in a seal to the oil cooling sistem (Don&#39;t know exactly what that is. Fixed at 110.000 km).