PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep it?

DanVolvo2001
09-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi all -

I have a 2001 XC70 with 105,000 miles. The car is running fine - I had the car in the shop last week to fix a leak in the exhaust system causing a "engine service" error.

My local shop guy told me it is time to change the timing belt if I plan to keep the car any longer. The quote for the timing belt and a new water pump is somewhere in the $700 range.

I have another issue with the alarm just going off randomly -- so I pulled the fuse for now and I get an error "alarm service required"

I know these cars especially the 2001 does not have good reliable rating for the transmission...Now is the time to trade it in if I decide to..any thoughts?

Thanks -=

PierreC
09-11-2007, 10:37 AM
I stand corrected but I had been told (by a Volvo technician) that the transmission is actually sourced from GM Caddilac - so it should not be that difficult to get fixed if it does choose to expire (especially in the USA)

JRL
09-11-2007, 04:16 PM
I stand corrected but I had been told (by a Volvo technician) that the transmission is actually sourced from GM Caddilac - so it should not be that difficult to get fixed if it does choose to expire (especially in the USA)

Time for a new mechanic as he doesn't know his rear end from (well you can insert here)
These trannies cannot be rebuilt properly by anyone and a new (rebuilt directly from Aisin Warner (the transmission supplier) is from $3000 to $4500 installed depending on your dealer.
It is NOT "sourced" from GM
The OLD 4 speeds were derived from a GM trans and that's about it, GM had nothing to do with manufacturing any of them

bouvier
09-11-2007, 04:42 PM
DanV:

105K miles is a lot and will bring the trade value down. If you use your xc70 for long trips it might be time to look for a replacement. But, if everything elso about the car is good and you mostly use it around town the $700 investment could give you another two or more years. If it were me I would see what the trade in value is ..... or what I could get with a direct sale, and add that info to the decision process.

Bouvier

JRL
09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Well, if you keep it, NOW is the time to do the belt. You don;t want to lose an engine because of a broken timing belt

A 2001 XC with 105K is worth about 5 to 6 grand on a trade in

muidumees
09-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Well, if you keep it, NOW is the time to do the belt. You don;t want to lose an engine because of a broken timing belt

A 2001 XC with 105K is worth about 5 to 6 grand on a trade in

Amazing prices you have over there. Here the cheapest 2001 XC (also with 105K) is worth 15,6 grand.

JRL
09-12-2007, 05:38 AM
Amazing prices you have over there. Here the cheapest 2001 XC (also with 105K) is worth 15,6 grand.
This is the US, Volvos are much cheaper
and I said TRADE IN, NOT retail

Aviator
09-12-2007, 08:22 AM
These trannies cannot be rebuilt properly by anyone

That's a really stupid statement........given the correct parts, they can be rebuilt......it's only a transmission !! In fact, an automatic is easier to rebuild than a manual !! Aisin Warner just so happens to have somewhat of a monopoly on the flow of things.

Dave.

VICIII
09-12-2007, 08:41 AM
That's a really stupid statement........given the correct parts, they can be rebuilt......it's only a transmission !! In fact, an automatic is easier to rebuild than a manual !! Aisin Warner just so happens to have somewhat of a monopoly on the flow of things.

Dave.

So what is the best thing to do??
Can anyone work on these. I have a quote on a used one for $1500 and lifetime warranty on the trans but not for labor of course...
What are the other options for a 01 xc?
My 01 is paid off and still in like new condition. If I have to put in $4,000 in the next year so I can get two or three years out of it is a deal for me.

Aviator
09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
So what is the best thing to do??
Can anyone work on these. I have a quote on a used one for $1500 and lifetime warranty on the trans but not for labor of course...
What are the other options for a 01 xc?
My 01 is paid off and still in like new condition. If I have to put in $4,000 in the next year so I can get two or three years out of it is a deal for me.

Yes, anyone with confidence and a brain can work on these. I'd go with the used one where it comes with lifetime warranty......that way if it fails and no more used ones are out there, then the installer has to put in a new one. Don't worry about the labour.....that's nothing compared to the price of a new (rebuilt) trans. I'd keep the car myself, if it's in excellent condition......so it needs a transmission......still cheaper than a new one and a car payment !!

Dave.

JRL
09-12-2007, 09:47 AM

Dave.
Not these.
We have had several (GOOD) shops try, every single one failed. Some as early as one day, the longest held together for 3 months!
It's a very tricky transmission to build correctly, besides finding a rebuild kit or parts as about as hard as finding someone who will even do it!

funglenn
09-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Not these.
We have had several (GOOD) shops try, every single one failed. Some as early as one day, the longest held together for 3 months!
It's a very tricky transmission to build correctly, besides finding a rebuild kit or parts as about as hard as finding someone who will even do it!

JRL,

From your statement have tried for your own car or do you work at an indie shop or a dealer? I have heard they are a dealer only sort of thing. I cannot believe that Volvo has such a monopoly on it since they are asin warner, so thought volvo was not the only one who used this model of their tranmission anyway., is that true?

JRL
09-12-2007, 03:49 PM
JRL,

From your statement have tried for your own car or do you work at an indie shop or a dealer? I have heard they are a dealer only sort of thing. I cannot believe that Volvo has such a monopoly on it since they are asin warner, so thought volvo was not the only one who used this model of their tranmission anyway., is that true?

Dealers NEVER rebuild them.
If they must they're sent out