PDA

View Full Version : Sludge in my NEW 07XC?

The Barron
09-09-2007, 08:58 AM
First off...I know I am going to get flamed for this, but oh well...I have taken all my cars to the local Valvoline Instant oil change for years, they do a great job and I have not had one complaint...so when I got my 2007 XC I started to take it there as well.

On this last trip to get my oil changed at 20k miles, I use regular 5W30, no synth, the guy mentioned that I have a lot of sludge!!! I was shocked.

Sludge in my new XC? How can that be.

So now I am at a crossroads with a few questions:
1. How worried should I be?
2. How do I fix this issue?
3. Should I convert to Mobil1 Synthetic 5W30(I live in Mass.)
4. If I convert, what should the process be?

Appreciate all the help.

gary
09-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Why wouldn't you seek a second opinion to confirm/deny what this mechanic is telling you? I would, as it seems to sound a bit suspect to me given that it's a vehicle with only 20K miles on it, and I'm sure you've done the appropriate maintenance to it at regular intervals. What was their recommended solution to correct the problem? Assuming that they had one, is it possible that they are just trying to get you to spend more money on [needless?] repairs? I hope not, but given that it is a new vehicle I would ask someone else for their opinion before doing anything.

BillAileo
09-09-2007, 09:17 AM
In my opinion, any car with a turbo should be run with full synthetic oil. With only 20k miles on your car no special steps should be necessary. However, if you really do already have a sludge build up using a good synthetic might loosen it up, which is a good thing, but it may warrant doing the next couple oil changes on a shorter cycle, perhaps every three thousand miles. Unless your driving is unusual like a lot of short trips in which the car never adequately warms up, I can't imagine why you would have sludge at 20k.

Bill

Willy
09-09-2007, 11:32 AM
I agree, better use a good synthetic oil. However, even if you still had the first oil in the engine, this can't account for sludge. There is something very wrong, either with the car or else with the shop!
Mobil is a very good choice, replace the filter also.
What about warrany?
Willy

blkdiamond
09-09-2007, 12:27 PM
I personally have used Amsoil Synthetic in all my vehicles for many years. Currently I am running the Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 (TSO) in my '01 XC. At my last oil change I used the Amsoil Engine Flush, which helps to break up any sludge.

I ran the same oil in my Dodge Ram for a year without having to change the oil, but I plan on changing the oil in my Volvo every 5,000 miles.

ajf10
09-09-2007, 04:15 PM
I call BS on the mechanic. You could just run some auto rx, then switch to synthetic and 3000 mile OCIs to be safe. But it seems highly unlikely to me that you could sludge after 20000 miles, unless those miles are all on track.

BillAileo
09-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Because you are still under warranty, I'd be cautious about using any additives such as auto rx. If I remember correctly Volvo says no to the use of engine oil additives.

Bill

tgwillard
09-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I would take your Volvo to your dealer and ask them to check on this so called sludge build up. I would be very surprised if in fact you do have sludge build up after only 20K miles. I also would not add any additives as BillAileo correctl states, the owner's manual advises against using additives.

ajf10
09-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Ah, didn't know that volvo didn't want you to use additives. Agreed, if you are under warranty you should go directly to the dealer. However, if you were not under warranty, there seems to be a broad general consensus in multiple internet automotive enthusiast forums that auto-rx is an excellent product, particularly for sludge. That is, if you like to believe the internet mob.

delano666
09-10-2007, 05:37 AM
Please, before you take any advice from all of the above, seek a second opinion on your problem. I am a master auto technician and experience tells me that what you have is certainly not engine sludge. Motor oils today are of superior quality, especially the synthetic blends and durability and certainly not likely to cause sludge build up. Stay away from automotive after market additives as they add no value to your motor oil. Secondly, never add anything to any engine to loosen up sludge unless you are willing to pay a high price to clean out the oil ports etc. of your motor. Sludge, if you have any will take care of itself through regular oil changes. Check your owners manual and only use the recommended motor oil. Remember that motor oil does not cause engine sludge build up. Only poor maintinance can vehicel abuse can do this.

The Barron
09-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Ok, I guess I feel a little better from your comments.....perhaps I don't have sludge, just maybe very dirty oil, as my 2nd oil change I was not able to change it until about 17,300 miles, instead of the recommended 15000 miles.

As I have learned on here, it is not suggested that I run with dino oil, for the recommended 7500 interval....let alone my 2300 mile of neglect on that second oil change.

Well, I guess my plan is this....in about 1500 miles I am going to switch over to synthetic Mobil1. The dino should still be pretty clean and hopefully removed some sludge if there is any. Then, after about 2k miles, I am going to get another oil change with Mobil1 and from there on stick to a 5k oil change interval. Does that sound right? (Also, I am going to stop going to Valvoline Instant Oil change) I know a local indie that can help me.

Did I do any major damage with letting the oil go too long? Do I have the correct approach to this?

MoeB
09-10-2007, 07:51 AM
The question here is, why did the Valvoline tech mention sludge? Was he trying to sell you some of Valvoline's engine flush fluid (which they frequently push at these Valvoline stations)? Or did he actually see something that he thought was sludge, maybe some lumpy stuff in your oil or on the filter? As already pointed out, the chances of your car having conventional sludge is virtually nil at that mileage if you've been changing the oil regularly, but there still could have been something else in the oil that the tech saw and idendified (or misidentified) as "sludge". Unfortunately, now you'll never know because it's gone and you can't look at it for yourself, get an oil analysis, or get a second opinion on the "sludge" substance, UNLESS there's still a problem with your engine that will cause more of the "sludge" to form in the future. All you can do now is wait and see.

BTW, this is one reason I prefer to change my own oil.

The Barron
09-10-2007, 08:11 AM
The guy that told me about the sludge was a Valvoline Oil change tech...so I guess I will take that for whats its worth, he was no master mechanic. I mean, he was not going to mention it to me unless I asked "how did the oil look, was it dark or light"...then he says, "It was dark, looked like you had some sludge in there. You might want to do an oil treatment next time you come in"

Whatever, I realize my mistakes, I just want to make sure that I did not do any major long term damage as I need this $$$ puppy to last. XC's are not cheap and I hope to keep this a long time. If I find out that my lax oil changes in the beginning lead to issues down the road...pissed off will not cover how mad I will be.

Change to synth, change often. That is my new motto.

MoeB
09-10-2007, 08:25 AM
I doubt you shortened the engine life to any significant degree. If you're concerned, for about $15-20 you can get an oil analysis done next oil change, which will give you some quantitative data on how your engine is wearing and your oil is holding up. For more info go here (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm).

gary
09-10-2007, 09:51 AM
...I was not able to change it until about 17,300 miles, instead of the recommended 15000 miles.

As I have learned on here, it is not suggested that I run with dino oil, for the recommended 7500 interval....let alone my 2300 mile of neglect on that second oil change.

FWIW, my first oil change in our 2003 XC70 occurred when I had very close to 10K miles on the odometer. I took Mobil 1 synthetic to the dealer and they did the oil/filter change. I never asked about the state of the prior dino oil and they never commented on the state of it and I've certainly not noticed any detriment in performance over the years (now has ~56K miles and at the time I was a bit concerned to leave it so late because of the fact that this was the "original/break-in oil, if you will, and I was routinely driving the car at high speeds on the German autobahns). I guess what I am trying to say is don't be too concerned about not getting that second change done at the recommended interval, I think your engine will be fine. I would recommend switching to a synthetic oil though. I use Mobil 1 in both of my XCs and I've been very pleased with the results.

The Barron
09-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Moe and Gary - I feel much better. :D

Knowing that someone has gone a little long between changes like me and not noticing anything negative is very reassuring, so thank you for that. I agree, from here on out, Mobil1, frequent changes. If there is any small amount of sludge, I am hoping it will get loosened up by the new oil.

Ok...feel much better...thought I just f'ed up a 40k car.

THANK YOU!!! [thumbup]

Willy
09-10-2007, 10:48 AM
I really don't want to spoil anything, but as Moeb already mentioned, if there was any sludge in the oil, where did it come from?
One possibility would be cooling water. I know this is farfetched, but not impossible.
In case of a leaking headgasket, there can be steam (white smoke) coming out of the tail pipe.
Willy

The Barron
09-10-2007, 11:19 AM
BUZZ-KILL!!

Willy, I am going to completely ignore that comment. :p

Naw, you are right. I agree that if there was indeed sludge, it should be checked. I think at my next change I'll take it to the *cringe* dealer, and have them take a quick look. If all looks ok, I'll have them put in the Mobil1.

If they do find sludge, it's under warranty and they will need to tell me why a NEW car is doing that. I have driven behind my wife when she was driving the Volvo and have never seen any smoke of any kind, or smelled anything remotely odd. BUT...agreed it is indeed worth a check.

gary
09-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Moe and Gary - I feel much better. :D

Knowing that someone has gone a little long between changes like me and not noticing anything negative is very reassuring, so thank you for that. I agree, from here on out, Mobil1, frequent changes. If there is any small amount of sludge, I am hoping it will get loosened up by the new oil.

Ok...feel much better...thought I just f'ed up a 40k car.

THANK YOU!!! [thumbup]

Ur welcome! However, as has been suggested by me and a few others, I still recommend getting a second opinion. I'd recommend a Volvo dealership (assuming they have a good service department). I mean....it is a new car that you paid a lot of money for, so why not put your mind at ease and have someone else look at it and give you their take on whether or not you have sludge build-up - I think I would if it were my car.

BillAileo
09-10-2007, 11:30 AM
As you think about the credibility of your former oil change guy consider the fact that, although he said you had sludge, he wasn't suggesting you do anything about it until your next visit to them when he recommended you get a "treatment." In my opinion, if a knowledgable, responsible person really identified sludge so early in a car's life they would have sent you to the dealer. I seriously doubt you had sludge.

Your plan to take to the dealer for the next change makes a lot of sense.

Bill

The Barron
09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Thank you all for your recommendations and help in formulating my plan of attack.

Next stop - a dealer that knows a thing or two.

What did we do before forums?!!?!@??@!@?

philosophicaldreamer
09-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Thank you all for your recommendations and help in formulating my plan of attack.

Next stop - a dealer that knows a thing or two.

What did we do before forums?!!?!@??@!@?

We drove around without getting ourselves paranoid with too much information:p

Ta-ta, j.

Willy
09-11-2007, 01:29 AM
Assuming it is about sludge at all, it would be interesting though to find out if white or black sludge was found,
since this may indicate a different problem.
White sludge is connected with moisture, black sludge is more of a fuel thing.
I think it is fair to say that the quality of the oil is important since at least black sludge is an oxydation process.
They can both compromise the lubrication system up to a fatal point.
Willy