PDA

View Full Version : Fluttering-thumping noise from under

gwoiler
09-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I just bought a 1999 V70 XC with 145,000 miles, after driving it from NY to Washington. The car drives very nice but has some issues for me to work through. This is my 5th Volvo so I am not new to them. I also own a 1995 850 turbo wagon and still drive my 1988 760 turbo wagon with over 300,000 miles on it.

So, when going 10 to 15 mph, I get this subtle fluttering thumping under the car. The rear tires are almost new and the fronts are about 1/4 tread. The wear pattern is not even and I should replace the fronts and get it aligned. Is this front/rear size difference causing trouble? The rear tires are like new. Lots of tread. They are Goodyears. I don't like Goodyear. They always seem to separate before I get the life out of them so I have not bought them in years.

The car also has a lit ABS light and I believe tracs. I will take the ABS module out and send it in to be re-soldered. The light was out t few times on the trip which let me use the cruise... but it was on most the time.

So, I was told one of my problems could be a rear passenger side wheel bearing or the viscous coupler. I also get a kind of whining noise at interstate speeds. It is not loud... but there.

I have read how this 4 wheel drive system works. As I got near home after the cross country drive, I pulled on to my 1.5 mile dirt road and stopped. Then I floored it and was pleasantly surprised to see how fast I accelerated without wheel spinning. It was also good uphill on gravel. Now my wife will not create washboard from spinning her tires!!! :)

Thanks for any help!