PDA

View Full Version : control arm bolts - re-use or replace 2001 XC

jdj2
09-04-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm getting ready to replace my control arm bushings and strut mounts, and I am getting some conflicting information.

The procedure shown on line here says the bolts are tightened to a "torque/turn" typical of a torque to yield bolt, and should be replaced once they are removed.

The dealer here said no, they just torque them, and do not replace them when the replace the bushings. They didn't even have the replacement bolts in stock.

Can anyone comment or give me more information? Given the critical nature of these bolts, if they are torqued to yield, then they certainly should be replaced.

Also, if anyone has the torque specs for the strut fastners, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

haoz129
09-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Jeff

(My Volvo is 2003 XC70, 133900 KM)

I really want to know the answer too since I have started to replace the bushing in front control arm. But I have more question than you after I start to practice.

I think you are knowledgeable, so eager to get help from you:
1) I reference the procedure in How To Section "Replacing Control Arm Bushings ". I think it is very good for a experience person. But I really need a procedure with more detail info and pictures, is there any one I can reference?

2) Now I have Jack the Car up and remove the wheel, But I can not go on. In the procedure there is one thing "Releasing the Spring Strut". Since only one word without any detail info, I do not know how to.

3)Also for safety reason, I think it is dangerous to release any bolt since before release all the energy and tension inside this system(Spring-Arm-Wheel). So could you give me more info about this system, especially for safety operation. What is dangerous when operation to remove the control arm?

I really appreciate your help [happy]

Thank you very much!

Howard

ajf10
09-09-2007, 04:57 AM
I have no experience with control arms in volvos, but the conventional wisdom on the VW passat forum I frequent is that the bolts can be reused, just clean them and use loctite. I have done this when replacing struts/springs without any problem.

However, if your kit comes with new bolts, use them.

jdj2
09-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Unfortunately, the parts I ordered didn't come with any bolts. My dealer currently has them on order from Sweden. The fact that there were none available in the region leads me to believe that replacement isn't required. However, since my kids ride in this car, and these are critical fasteners, I'll probably replace them anyway.

Howard,

As far as your concern about "releasing the spring/strut", basically what you are doing is removing the spring and strut assembly. All of the energy of the spring is stored in this assembly, but removing the entire assy will not pose a danger. It's when you go to replace the strut, and release the bolt on the top of the strut that you need to be careful.

haoz129
09-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi Jeff

Thanks for your reply.

Now I get some improvement and trying to remove the strut away from the C-Arm after unbolt the Shaft and Ball Joint Bold.

But I was stopped by remove the C-Arm down off the Ball Joint Bolt. I pushed down the C-Arm with the help of a tension strap, but the C-Arm seems not move down enough to leave the Ball Joint since the Ball Joint bolt still has more than 10mm long in the hole of the C-Arm.

I have tried to move the whole strut up but it is tool strong to move a little bit.

So do you have any idea about how to remove the C-Arm off the Ball Joint Bolt ?

Thank you very much.

Howard