PDA

View Full Version : New MAF sensor, warning message

ajf10
09-03-2007, 05:21 PM
This is a little long and confusing but I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Back in march, my wife drove our 2001 XC70 through a deep puddle, sucked in some water, and killed the engine. Car was towed to a local shop where they changed the oil twice, replaced the air filter, spark plugs, and maf sensor, and after that the car ran fine. However, a few days later I got the "Engine system service required" message. I took it back, and they checked a few things, told me it needed a new battery, which I thought was reasonable since it was 6 years old and had died on us already, so they replaced it. However, they couldn't clear the code with their obd system, and told me it was a volvo specific code that only the dealer could read/clear.

The car had run fine since, but I never dealt with the code, which is still there. About a week ago, the alternator died, which I presume is unrelated. Prior to replacing the alternator, I disconnected the ABS unit because I got a bunch of sudden stranged behavior from the car, including the ABS warning, which made me think that the ABS unit might have failed and somehow was shorting out the electrical system. Disconnecting it didn't help, so I reconnected it, and replaced the alternator, which did the trick. However, I still had an ABS warning, and the original engine service warning described above, so I took it to the dealer to clear what I thought were just some leftover codes from the water incident and the alternator failure. Dealer said he couldn't clear the codes. So, 114 dollars poorer (for the code reading at the dealer), I rethought things, and decided to disconnect and reconnect the ABS unit, thinking I may have not gotten the connections mated properly, since it is a PITA. Bingo!, all ABS warnings go away after a few minutes of driving.

So now I still have the original "engine systems service required" message. I read in another forum that this might be due to a new MAF sensor being installed, and that one way to correct it (in a 2000 car) is to disconnect the ECM for 5 minutes.

Is it possible that this message is due to the MAF sensor replacement? And if so, can I clear it by disconnecting the ECM? If so, can I disconnect it without the special volvo tool? If I disconnect it, can I do any kind of damage or give myself more headaches?

If you have gotten this far reading this, thanks for your attention, and your reply.

Aviator
09-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Perhaps you have a poor connection at the MAF sensor (better known as an air mass meter......I've yet to figure out what mass air flow is). Disconnect and then reconnect it and see what happens.......it worked on the ABS unit !! Also, make sure the sensor isn't installed backwards.....I think they are marked according to airflow direction. You might even have the wrong part installed too. As far as disconnecting the ECM....I don't think this will do much. I would feel more confident taking it in to the dealer and have them work at it for a while.

Dave.